Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:12 PM   #751
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Had some odd battery drain issue today. It's mostly sat with the screen off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-09-01-10-19.png
Views:	48
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	382403  
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #752
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Call again and ask what they say about the ear piece buzzing + battery drainage. If you can.
I never thought whatever buzzing you hear had anything to do with the battery. Those wouldnt go hand in hand. You said you could barely hear it anyways and it had to be dead silent.

In anycase, if they offered a new phone, id take them up on it. Hopefully the update will fix the battery drain. If it continues, im not going to get one. My battery on my GS3 is pretty good. I even bought two batterys on eBay that are 2900 mAh and the stock battery s better than those.

And get this, when i use them, NFC doesnt work. I had no idea the battery had anything to do with the NFC. The stock battery says NFC compliant on it. So anyone that gets a bigger battery...make sure it is NFC compliant.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Dec 8, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:54 PM   #753
roxxette
Banned

Lol now whe need "smart" batterys
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:32 PM   #754
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
I never thought whatever buzzing you hear had anything to do with the battery. Those wouldnt go hand in hand. You said you could barely hear it anyways and it had to be dead silent.
Actually, can you explain this some more? I'm very interested in an explanation why it's not affecting the battery.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:42 PM   #755
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
If your experience is like mine Chris you will have some soul searching to do at the end of your trial period, tis a nice problem to have though. LTE is not a problem for me as the International S3 doesn't have it, and TBH, where I live in the UK will not be getting it for at least a year. Enjoy both your phones.
Should be a lot of fun. I've seen Samsungs implementation of Android, now I want to experience pure Google, and soon hopefully figure out which will become my daily driver.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:20 AM   #756
onthecouchagain
Banned

My battery report for Nexus 4:

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Pretty decent, I think. Can be better.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:33 AM   #757
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Not bat at all onthecouchagain!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:18 AM   #758
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Not bat at all onthecouchagain!
I guess I feel different....2 hours and 50 mins of on screen time doesn't seem good to me at all =/
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:36 AM   #759
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I guess I feel different....2 hours and 50 mins of on screen time doesn't seem good to me at all =/
You know there's a difference between the way android measures battery usage and the way ios does, right? Just asking. Screen on time is entirely different from ios' usage time.

I'm all for it getting better. And Google's software update which is apparently due soon is set to address that.

This is how it is for early adopters, including the Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, and recent macbooks. The 4s took multiple updates from Apple to sort out their battery issues.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:38 AM   #760
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Unfortunately I can confirm that the ear piece buzz is still present. I am not sure what to do here. I will see what Google has to say.......... Again. Keep in mind this is already a replacement.
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #761
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post
Unfortunately I can confirm that the ear piece buzz is still present. I am not sure what to do here. I will see what Google has to say.......... Again. Keep in mind this is already a replacement.
I'm fully expecting my replacement to have it too. Call Google and make sure they know the replacement has the same issue.

It'll be interesting to see how serious it is. I've read that the Galaxy Nexus, the iPhone 4S and other smartphones have the same ear buzz and that it's not a big deal. Apparently unrelated to battery drain.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #762
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
You know there's a difference between the way android measures battery usage and the way ios does, right? Just asking. Screen on time is entirely different from ios' usage time.

I'm all for it getting better. And Google's software update which is apparently due soon is set to address that.

This is how it is for early adopters, including the Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, and recent macbooks. The 4s took multiple updates from Apple to sort out their battery issues.
I know this, but I still get around 5 hours of on screen time with my iphone...where the usage time will say around 6+ hours. There is at most an extra hour that apple throws in there that is from push emails
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:53 AM   #763
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I know this, but I still get around 5 hours of on screen time with my iphone...where the usage time will say around 6+ hours. There is at most an extra hour that apple throws in there that is from push emails
Fair enough. No question one of the iPhones strength is battery life.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #764
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm fully expecting my replacement to have it too. Call Google and make sure they know the replacement has the same issue.

It'll be interesting to see how serious it is. I've read that the Galaxy Nexus, the iPhone 4S and other smartphones have the same ear buzz and that it's not a big deal. Apparently unrelated to battery drain.
I've called Google and I'm getting a refund this time. None of my other phones had this buzzing and on top of that the touch response is bothering me. My quest continues. I'm trying the droid DNA next.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:32 PM   #765
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Man im so glad i decided to wait to get one. If the next update doesnt solve these battery issues and if the earbuzz isnt fixed, im just not going to get one regardless if they come out with a 32GB version. I dont have any issues with my GS3. The only thing i dont like about it is in sunlight, the screen is nearly unreadable. Other than that, its a great phone.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:48 PM   #766
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
I've called Google and I'm getting a refund this time. None of my other phones had this buzzing and on top of that the touch response is bothering me. My quest continues. I'm trying the droid DNA next.
Honestly the only touch problem i have is with small icons like the close a tab on chrome and open new, i though it was because im not used to those small buttons but anyway regarding buzzing i havent notice yet.

Its a great phone, happy so far.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:30 PM   #767
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Honestly the only touch problem i have is with small icons like the close a tab on chrome and open new, i though it was because im not used to those small buttons but anyway regarding buzzing i havent notice yet.

Its a great phone, happy so far.
Yeah, I'm very picky but these are two things I personally can't deal with.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:35 PM   #768
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I'm very picky but these are two things I personally can't deal with.
Oh no mate i understand its not about being picky but if thing dont work out how you expect its fair, ive been really happy with the phone so far its my first android so that might be right now using the iphone it feels so damm small but i do notice now the iOS looks by that i mean how all apps built the same.

Its been very interesting so far, btw i saw a work around/"tweak" for the touch problem (not a full fix) did you give it a try too ?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:37 PM   #769
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have been very lucky with my N4, if there was something wrong with it though, I would want it rectified, not being picky, just wanting things to be right. Nothing wrong with that.
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:42 PM   #770
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Oh no mate i understand its not about being picky but if thing dont work out how you expect its fair, ive been really happy with the phone so far its my first android so that might be right now using the iphone it feels so damm small but i do notice now the iOS looks by that i mean how all apps built the same.

Its been very interesting so far, btw i saw a work around/"tweak" for the touch problem (not a full fix) did you give it a try too ?
Too lazy lol :-)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #771
outz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have been very lucky with my N4, if there was something wrong with it though, I would want it rectified, not being picky, just wanting things to be right. Nothing wrong with that.
me too. I absolutely love this phone. I was the first batch so I've had it for weeks. fantastic device. I own an s3 as well, but honestly it was meh.. I would always switch back to my 4s every other week. but after I received the n4, I gave my 4s to the wife, sold her 4 and I couldn't be happier.

the s3 sits in a ps3 controller mount and is dedicated to playing psone and other games before bed

I've owned every iPhone up until the 5 and I've got to say... they're definitely on the right track with the n4.
outz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:39 AM   #772
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer for my bumper.

First world problems and all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121210_113634.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	382672  
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:43 AM   #773
FlexPen76
macrumors regular

So I got fed up waiting on Google Play to get stock and went PAYG on O2. Fancy a change from my iPhone 5.

First impressions...really nice device. I've also had a S3 on ICS and it was very nice, but this is much better.

I can get over all the usual things like iCloud, imessage and iTunes syncing, and I actually prefer the music app, well at least PowerAmp but one thing I can't see past is something to work a little like Photostream. My wife still has her iPhone and will post up pics of my newborn son quite often. I like the way the iPhone notifies you when a new pic is uploaded. Is there anything out for Android (and iPhone) that does this? I know you can dropbox / instagram / picassa etc... but anything that notifies you when a new upload?

I've 7 days to keep or return to O2, and TBH as small as it seems if this isn't a viable option its going back
FlexPen76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:18 AM   #774
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I turned off Google now because TBH, I don't really use it, standby on this phone is more than good enough for me, screen on time is 2 hrs 16 minutes, so not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure if I left it it would go well beyond the 3 day mark but I think I will charge it now.

daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 AM   #775
roxxette
Banned

How do you turn off google now ? Btw how to disable that google option when you hold the "home"

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4