Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
My real issue is not voice recognition. In general Google Now performs better than Siri at that.

My issue is simply making a phone call with the phone app. It should not be missing my contacts that are easily found with the People app. Since this is my phone it kinda sucks that it sucks at finding my contacts.

And my contacts are even synced via google. There should be no excuse for this kind of behavior.

In further checking it seems the phone app is completely ignoring the Company field in my contacts--when searching.

I even added a new contact and it will not find it by company name. This is crazy.

Michael

That is strange. To test this I added Dashiell to someone's Organization field and both the phone app and Google Now found her when I begun typing Dashiell.

Maybe this is a Nexus 4 software thing as I clearly do not have one.

Attachments

• meh.PNG
    meh.PNG
    222.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That is strange. To test this I added Dashiell to someone's Organization field and both the phone app and Google Now found her when I begun typing Dashiell.

Maybe this is a Nexus 4 software thing as I clearly do not have one.

To be clear, this happens to me when there is only a company name... no other name.

Oops, just tested and it does not help if I add a dummy first/last name. It still will not search by company. Annoying it is.

I am trying to get used to just using the People app to make calls. Or using Google Now. Well, the search part of google now. Hate calling it google now when I am using it to find a local contact. It invariably sets someone off on some other aspect of google now that has nothing to do with what I am trying to do. Heck I have google now turned off.

Michael

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Then you're missing the point of the conversation.

I agree (anyone would agree) that we win when updates come sooner. No contention there.

I'm simply saying, we're at a point where waiting is okay. In other words, the Nexus line is becoming less of a draw. For me, anyway. Especially considering the wait actually brings about new features. As a Nexus owner, I'm envious of little things like multiwindow.

By the way, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

I would disagree that waiting is okay, because the reasons (carriers) don't justify the wait. It's a flawed system. But to each his own.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I would disagree that waiting is okay, because the reasons (carriers) don't justify the wait. It's a flawed system. But to each his own.

Well, I should clarify that I don't mean I'd argue for waiting. And I would certainly argue for improving update times.

Basically, what I'm saying is... given the situation is what it is, perhaps one doesn't have to make their smartphone decisions based on whether it gets immediate updates or not. It perhaps doesn't have to be as high on the list as some people think it should, especially if you're speaking solely about Android. (Funnily, I think immediate updates with iOS are even less important considering lately, they are missing main features of the respective OSes, and in some cases, are actually taking something of value away, like Google Maps).

If Samsung weren't updating within the one year cycle of the S3, if Samsung wasn't adding more to the update than stock Android upgrades, if Samsung wasn't including features that now even stock Android can be envious of... I probably wouldn't be making this case.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well, I should clarify that I don't mean I'd argue for waiting. And I would certainly argue for improving update times.

Basically, what I'm saying is... given the situation is what it is, perhaps one doesn't have to make their smartphone decisions based on whether it gets immediate updates or not. It perhaps doesn't have to be as high on the list as some people think it should.

Sure, I'd agree it's not a dealbreaker, but it's a factor.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sure, I'd agree it's not a dealbreaker, but it's a factor.

Can't disagree with this.

I updated my post above, by the way.

Basically, what I'm saying is... given the situation is what it is, perhaps one doesn't have to make their smartphone decisions based on whether it gets immediate updates or not. It perhaps doesn't have to be as high on the list as some people think it should, especially if you're speaking solely about Android. (Funnily, I think immediate updates with iOS are even less important considering lately, they are missing main features of the respective OSes, and in some cases, are actually taking something of value away, like Google Maps).

If Samsung weren't updating within the one year cycle of the S3, if Samsung wasn't adding more to the update than stock Android upgrades, if Samsung wasn't including features that now even stock Android can be envious of... I probably wouldn't be making this case.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Can't disagree with this.

I updated my post above, by the way.

I like that Samsung is actually adding functionality to their skin, but I could never use that thing in its current state. Maybe if I didn't have to swoosh water to unlock, if nothing made a bubble sound, and if it wasn't the worst looking skin I've seen. I have more faith in Google than Samsung, so stock is still far better in my opinion.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I like that Samsung is actually adding functionality to their skin, but I could never use that thing in its current state. Maybe if I didn't have to swoosh water to unlock, if nothing made a bubble sound, and if it wasn't the worst looking skin I've seen. I have more faith in Google than Samsung, so stock is still far better in my opinion.

All of what you dislike zb can be changed in less than a couple of minutes.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I got a question for anybody who may know the answer.

My Nexus 4's screen was defective. I called them on Thursday, the 6th, and had an RMA set up. Went through and "ordered" my replacement. Sent in the broken one on friday.

On Google Play when I view my orders, it said "pending" for a few days. But Google told me that I should have my replacement in 3-5 business days. Well today is the 4th day and I looked at my orders and it changed to "pre-ordered."

What does this mean?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 2.04.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 2.04.34 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 68

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I got a question for anybody who may know the answer.

My Nexus 4's screen was defective. I called them on Thursday, the 6th, and had an RMA set up. Went through and "ordered" my replacement. Sent in the broken one on friday.

On Google Play when I view my orders, it said "pending" for a few days. But Google told me that I should have my replacement in 3-5 business days. Well today is the 4th day and I looked at my orders and it changed to "pre-ordered."

What does this mean?

Its probably like any shipping tracking service....half assed at best. This doesnt apply directly to you but I got my Nexus 10 when it was in a pre order state. I used Amazon to order a bluetooth headset, they said I would have it on the 17th, I just walked into my house and it was on the doorstep....

When I order something I generally want it immediately so it takes a lot for me but I try to ignore checking status up dates.

Did you get a tracking number via a shipping company yet? I cant remember but I'm pretty sure Google does that. Worse case I would call them and ask what that means....

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Its probably like any shipping tracking service....half assed at best. This doesnt apply directly to you but I got my Nexus 10 when it was in a pre order state. I used Amazon to order a bluetooth headset, they said I would have it on the 17th, I just walked into my house and it was on the doorstep....

When I order something I generally want it immediately so it takes a lot for me but I try to ignore checking status up dates.

Did you get a tracking number via a shipping company yet? I cant remember but I'm pretty sure Google does that. Worse case I would call them and ask what that means....

I have received absolutely nothing :/ I am about to call them now.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Straus, sorry you didn't know this sooner, but you can request them send you the replacement first, then send back the defective one. If people get smart and keep both, Google just charges them for the 2nd one. Sorry you have to wait.

BTW... Google removed the Factory Image for 4.2.1 from their website. This typically means a new version is coming very soon. I hope this is the battery/performance update that we've been waiting for.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So I've been using my Nexus 4 for a few days but the signal on AT&T has been terrible. At first it was GPRS, so I changed the APN. And now I'm pulling 12mbps down, but the signal is intermittent. Any ideas?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

You know you can turn that off dont you? Its Android man, you have to know you can turn it off. You can also change the skin. Seriously, sometimes your reasons are petty.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You know you can turn that off dont you? Its Android man, you have to know you can turn it off. You can also change the skin. Seriously, sometimes your reasons are petty.

Can't make it look any nicer, besides a different launcher, but that's not exactly deep. Stock Android is best for me, nothing wrong with that.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Do inform me; how can I get rid of system wide TouchWiz and it's ugliness without rooting?

Well im not sure what of TouchWiz you feel is so ugly but you can get another dialer, you can get another Contacts manager that comes with a different dialer that has different skins. You can use a different text app and weather app. You already know you can use a different launcher and change the look of it and the icons. Whats left you feel is so ugly?

You can pretty much change anything you want....right from the Playstore without rooting.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well im sure what of TouchWiz you feel is so ugly but you can get another dialer, you can get another Contacts manager that comes with a different dialer that has different skins. You can use a different text app and weather app. You already know you can use a different launcher and change the look of it and the icons. Whats left you feel is so ugly?

You can pretty much change anything you want....right from the Playstore without rooting.

I really just feel like TouchWiz is the ugliest piece of software I've ever seen on a mainstream device and can't imagine seeing it. To go to such great lengths just to separate myself from it seems unnecessary, and Samsung devices have never impressed me anyways. Nothing wrong with disliking them and vastly preferring the Nexus brand.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I really just feel like TouchWiz is the ugliest piece of software I've ever seen on a mainstream device and can't imagine seeing it. To go to such great lengths just to separate myself from it seems unnecessary, and Samsung devices have never impressed me anyways. Nothing wrong with disliking them and vastly preferring the Nexus brand.

No one is telling you that it's wrong to not like TouchWiz. I don't like TouchWiz myself. People are simply pointing out to you that you can change the few things you listed that you didn't like about it. Don't get the Galaxy S3.

Z, you may have reading comprehension problems, whatever it may be (maybe you're reading too fast, I don't know). This is not an insult. I ran into similar conversational issues with you with our discussion regarding "innovation." You're difficult to talk to because you either misunderstand, obfuscate other people's point, or are horribly inconsistent with your own posts.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No one is telling you that it's wrong to not like TouchWiz. I don't like TouchWiz myself. People are simply pointing out to you that you can change the few things you listed that you didn't like about it. Don't get the Galaxy S3.

Z, you may have reading comprehension problems, whatever it may be (maybe you're reading too fast, I don't know). This is not an insult. I ran into similar conversational issues with you with our discussion regarding "innovation." You're difficult to talk to because you either misunderstand, obfuscate other people's point, or are horribly inconsistent with your own posts.

Right, i dont care for TouchWiz either. The only thing i use from it is the dialer and contacts. Im good with those...oh and i use the music player sometimes. Most of the time i use PowerAmp though.
I was just answering the question he asked that you CAN change it pretty much everything if you want to without rooting.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have received absolutely nothing :/ I am about to call them now.

Straus, not to be a harbinger of bad news, but over at the XDA forums, someone said Google told him warranty replacement units are now also being delayed due to limited supply. May take weeks.

Not sure if true or false.

I'd keep pressing Google if it turns out to be true. You deserve better customer service. And if they lose you as a customer, they deserve it.

Good luck, S.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Straus, sorry you didn't know this sooner, but you can request them send you the replacement first, then send back the defective one. If people get smart and keep both, Google just charges them for the 2nd one. Sorry you have to wait.

BTW... Google removed the Factory Image for 4.2.1 from their website. This typically means a new version is coming very soon. I hope this is the battery/performance update that we've been waiting for.

Straus, not to be a harbinger of bad news, but over at the XDA forums, someone said Google told him warranty replacement units are now also being delayed due to limited supply. May take weeks.

Not sure if true or false.

I'd keep pressing Google if it turns out to be true. You deserve better customer service. And if they lose you as a customer, they deserve it.

Good luck, S.

Thanks for the info man.

When I initially called, they said 3-5 days. I called today, and the guy I talked to said my order should not have been changed to pre-ordered as no replacement devices should be changed to pre-ordered. They said if I don't receive it by the end of the 3-5 day period, that being tomorrow (or technically today), then I should call back.

But if what you are saying is true, which it is looking to be, I will not be happy.

And yes, it would have been nice to keep the other device. The problem is that there is no point in keeping it as it is not at all usable:
I am unable to get out of the Android tutorial, so I basically can't do anything.

And to make matters worse, here is what Google sent in an email:

Please check your email for instructions about returning your defective item. Return your defective item promptly to avoid being charged for this order. Please ensure that your shipment arrives at its destination within 21 days from the date of this order to avoid being charged. Following an inspection by the repair service center, the replacement device is yours to keep without charge if the problem is due to an issue covered under warranty.
So the maximum amount of time I would be able to keep it is 21 days from the day I placed the order for the replacement. And take into account nobody would actually keep it that long as you must allow multiple days for the device to ship to the repair service center. On the Google Play Store, the 16GB Nexus 4 says it is shipping in 6-7 weeks. So if I did keep it as long as possible and Google did in fact place me at the back of the pack in the 6-7 week shipping time frame, I still would be without a phone for around a month no matter what. Essentially, regardless of when I send in the device, there is going to be a large chunk of time that I will be without the device I paid for.

Haha and yes, with this kind of customer service, they deserve to lose more customers than just myself.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the info man.

When I initially called, they said 3-5 days. I called today, and the guy I talked to said my order should not have been changed to pre-ordered as no replacement devices should be changed to pre-ordered. They said if I don't receive it by the end of the 3-5 day period, that being tomorrow (or technically today), then I should call back.

But if what you are saying is true, which it is looking to be, I will not be happy.

And yes, it would have been nice to keep the other device. The problem is that there is no point in keeping it as it is not at all usable:
I am unable to get out of the Android tutorial, so I basically can't do anything.

And to make matters worse, here is what Google sent in an email:

So the maximum amount of time I would be able to keep it is 21 days from the day I placed the order for the replacement. And take into account nobody would actually keep it that long as you must allow multiple days for the device to ship to the repair service center. On the Google Play Store, the 16GB Nexus 4 says it is shipping in 6-7 weeks. So if I did keep it as long as possible and Google did in fact place me at the back of the pack in the 6-7 week shipping time frame, I still would be without a phone for around a month no matter what. Essentially, regardless of when I send in the device, there is going to be a large chunk of time that I will be without the device I paid for.

Haha and yes, with this kind of customer service, they deserve to lose more customers than just myself.

If there is a delay in your warranty replacement unit I'm sure they'll push back on the 21 day return period.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
When I called, they confirmed the 21 day period and said nothing about extending it. Plus there is no point in keeping an unusable phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.