Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
Didn't see this coming. ;-) Always wait to the get the next best thing a few months done the road. Unless it's the Mac Pro, I've been waiting for years. :-(

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
apple marketing and businesses strategy at its finest.

(revision A) introduce a "revolutionary" new iPad mini and let people rave about it while omitting a screen that should have been standard

(revision B) announce a beautiful and even better than before iPad mini with a gorgeous retina high resolution display that is genius engineering ...which should have been on revA

Yes, because the low price point, battery power required and other challenges in putting a retina display with same battery life were all achievable on day one of this product.

People wanted a long battery life and a mini iPad at an affordable pricepoint - the yields of hi res displays could not possible have allowed this, and I doubt the smaller battery could have sustained it (let alone the heat issues).

Maybe Apple should have waited until it could be made from flexible digital paper and rolled up and put into your pocket while retaining a two year battery life as later models might do? No doubt in ten years when this is achieved you'll complain that it should have been available on day one and Apple were just holding back to make themselves look behind the competition/rip you off?

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
What a lot of utter tosh. You have clearly not owned a retina iPad. The battery life is the same as the iPad 2 not shorter by any stretch of the imagination. The only point you have made which is correct is that it takes 2 hours longer to fully recharge a retina iPad over the iPad 2.

The retina display makes anything with text or images look FAR superior to the fuzzy display of the iPad 2 and to a lesser extent the iPad mini.

If Apple were to move to retina class display for the mini the move to IGZO displays and A6 APU would reduce the battery load so that the battery would not be significantly larger/heavier.

Oh my god, imagine having to go back to a low res screen after using a retina one for years, that is a truly unthinkable prospect. I pity you and your poor eyeballs

I'm not sure what "tosh" is but I'll assume it means you agree with everything I said. Oh my God....it must be so terrible. You would know, considering you own an iPhone 5 and then you own non retina macbooks and iMacs.

Anyways, I've owned every iPad and the 3 was by far the worst to deal with.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012

(revision A) introduce a "revolutionary" new iPad mini and let people rave about it while omitting a screen that should have been standard

(revision B) announce a beautiful and even better than before iPad mini with a gorgeous retina high resolution display that is genius engineering ...which should have been on revA

Those sandbagging sons of ...

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
poor developers...

anyone know how many resolutions Apple currently has in its mobile lineup?

ipad2
ipadretina
ipad mini
ipad mini retina????
iphone4
iphone5
ipod touch

Crazy

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Yes, because the low price point, battery power required and other challenges in putting a retina display with same battery life were all achievable on day one of this product.

People wanted a long battery life and a mini iPad at an affordable pricepoint - the yields of hi res displays could not possible have allowed this, and I doubt the smaller battery could have sustained it (let alone the heat issues).

Maybe Apple should have waited until it could be made from flexible digital paper and rolled up and put into your pocket while retaining a two year battery life as later models might do? No doubt in ten years when this is achieved you'll complain that it should have been available on day one and Apple were just holding back to make themselves look behind the competition/rip you off?

This.. Exactly.

Along with battery life, the reason why the iPad mini is great is due to its extremely light weight.

My biggest complaint with the regular iPad is that its heavy.
Even the slight bump in weight and thicknes moving to iPad3 had me using my older iPad2 more often over time.. of course, that was only until I got the iPad mini.

The weight of laptops matters less since you normally use it propped up on a lap or table. For laptops, weight only really matter when you're lugging them around.

However, tablets are different. People tend to hold them up or prop them while bearing the weight of the table in their hands most of the time.

Apple's choice of going non-retina and keeping the weight and thinness the way it is now is the most logical choice for a 1st gen iPad mini.

I'd really really hate the next iPad mini going retina at the cost of added weight and thickness as they did with the iPad3.

I'd rather have the technology improve to the point where Apple can cost efficiently add a retina screen maintaining the same weight and battery life.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And the same people who are saying 'it's not that bad, I don't even notice it' will suddenly rave about how 'amazing' the Retina version is.

Just like they a lot of folks around here mocked the idea of a smaller tablet and now say 'it's the perfect size'.....

That's what Apple wants. To think you don't need it until they make it.

----------

While it's obvious that everybody wants this to happen, and I'm sure it will happen eventually, I tend to agree with Anandtech. I think if it were feesable to add a retina display within the next year, Apple would have just done it with the original iPad Mini. I expect it will take a couple of years to develop a high res display for the Mini without compromising on its excellent weight and thickness.

Maybe I'm being naive, and it's possible to make one now, and Apple just released a low-res version first so people would shell out more money on the next one, but part of me still likes to think that Apple like making good products, and they would have done it already if it was possible.

Apple will make a thinner iPad Mini with Retina. That'll be revolutionary. And most likely the screen will also act like a solar panel to keep a decent charge when used outside to further extend the battery life. It'll also feature the new A7X29PZ processor that has 7 CPU cores and 29 GPU cores. The Z because, well, anything ending in Z sounds cool.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Where did I say anything would stop working?

That is exactly what you implied. You feel that a company is screwing a customer by releasing a new version of the product that you bought. That is 13 year old logic right there.

Since you have forgotten what you typed, let me remind you:

It seems to be no surprise to people that Apple will screw them again with 'another iPad launch'!!!

Screwed again with another iPad launch? Why are people getting screwed because technology is moving forward? My point was that just because a newer version of the product is out, it does not immediately make the one you have completely useless. You can still use it. Unless you are 13 years old.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
kinda doubt they can push so many pixels into that small size so soon.

also they need something to differentiate the mini and the regular iPad other than size.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

Internet commenting at its finest.

(step 1) sit around and do nothing

(step 2) bash leading technology companies based on zero knowledge of real product development processes or what it takes to create 100s of millions of cutting-edge products (in terms of both electronic and manufacturing tech) in the consumer space.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
New iPad Mini.

I'd rather have a lighter device. The current mini is wonderful. bigger but lighter than my nexus.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

I agree. I'm sure the guy you quoted would argue that maybe Apple should have waited until they could put in retina screens before announcing the mini. But then again, by the time they could do that, a new technology would be out and still complain "Why doesn't it have xyz technology?" In this case, it would never ship because there's always a new technology that's not quite ready in the right size/shape.

poor developers...

ipad2
ipadretina
ipad mini
ipad mini retina????
iphone4
iphone5
ipod touch

Crazy

True.

With retina resolutions, they're twice the resolution of the device they replace so they can pixel double where needed. Though that defeats the purpose of Retina. However, with vector graphics & text, you wouldn't need to do much, if any programming, right? I'm not a programmer so hence why I'm asking.

With the iPad 2 & iPad Mini, they have the same resolution (1024 x 768), right? Only difference is that the iPad Mini would display things smaller or show less stuff at the same size.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I love how quickly everyone is on to the next version. 2 months....and speculation about what the next release will be....:)

Clearly the next release is going to be revolutionary and magical, with a new welding technique that makes it seem invisible or at least see through.

Just don't believe anything you hear or see until we get the first blurred picture of the home button!

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
A retina display would have the same number of pixels as the iPad (assuming Apple doesn't add another resolution to the mix which seems unlikely) and therefore needs virtually the same components. Please, someone, explain how with current technology you fit the 7.9" equivalent screen to the iPad, an A6X processor and a >40wH battery into the current iPad Mini form factor... Oh, and introduce it at the same price points without completely destroying profit margins.

see my comment above yours. I think there is a way to do itwithout going full ipad 3/4

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Well, duh...

This is Apple after all; incremental upgrades are what they do. You gotta leave something out for next year's product to upgrade to.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Wrong Move

"Adding a Retina display to a device as thin as the iPad mini could be a tricky prospect, possibly requiring a large battery and a more robust processor,"

This is precisely the problem with the Retina display. It is a waste of battery and processing power. I would much rather have more memory, faster processor, more battery life and lower cost that would come from those upgrades if the existing display was kept instead of wasting these resources on eye candy.

The reality is that for a great many people, perhaps even most people, the existing display is already 'Retina' as in we can't see any difference between the old displays and the new higher resolution displays.

Retina displays are just bling. We don't need them in the slightest.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Should have had a retina display to begin with. I was really shocked when it didn't. I've been discouraging people from buying one until it's updated.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
New iPad Mini.

I'd rather have a lighter device. The current mini is wonderful. bigger but lighter than my nexus.

I agree, and even though I am 6 inches from dumping iOS from my mobile computing ecosystem I haven't found (and most likely never will) an alternative to the iPad Mini. The Galaxy Note 10.1 is a nice replacement for the iPad 2 I currently have, but I'd really love a Note 7 that's as thin and light as an iPad mini, or an iPad mini that has as much functionality as a Note 10.1.

I know, never gonna happen on both counts.

Should have had a retina display to begin with. I was really shocked when it didn't. I've been discouraging people from buying one until it's updated.

I honestly don't see it happening because of the price. The iPad mini is LIGHT and very easy to use over the iPad 2,3, or 4. Adding weight and a beefier battery to power a beefier processor and more ram to support a Retina would kill both price point and weight.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. I expect it will take a couple of years to develop a high res display for the Mini without compromising on its excellent weight and thickness.

You mean battery. Because Apple has no issue making an iPad or Mini that is 3 mm think or weighs 1 gram more if that is needed. But they won't knowingly release something with less than a good up to 7 hours on a charge because that is a spec that everyone (in general) understands.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
poor developers...

ipad2
ipadretina
ipad mini
ipad mini retina????
iphone4
iphone5
ipod touch

Crazy
The mini has the same resolution as the ipad 2 - so that is one resolution. When the mini gains retinal it will certainly be the same resolution as the ipad 4, again with the same resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.