Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
For Apple, using the serial numbers when they connect to the internet and phone home, to either brick them or spot them would be a good solution.

Bricking them requires effort on Apple's part and results in innocent customers having an inferior experience... I don't think criminals will find it too difficult to sell these to customers before they find out they're bricked.

wkennedy74

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
If their products weren't so over priced then there wouldn't be such a false second hand product market. You don't see people smash and grab PC World for some Samsung laptops because their prices are reasonable so there isn't a stupid second hand market.

You seriously typed this? Thieve's conversation in your mind "Apple store or PC World?" "Well, Samsung's price point is more reasonable, so let's hit the Apple Store!"

You are clearly an android user.

They hit the Apple Store because Apple products are in demand, and they can get rid of them quickly. That is all.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Riots and fights always happen on New Year's Eve in Paris - in fact, that city is a dumpster and a train wreck in terms of safety, always infested with illegal immigrants and unemployed youths coming from the banlieues.

especially north African immigrants, now 2nd or 3rd gen, French-born, who love to steal, damage new stuff like train and metro glasses, wall tagging...

well people who have no respect for others

that why police forces have to sent reinforcements and focus on this area every year

as i remember they broke a few shop glasses 2 years ago

this year, they burned more than 1000 cars :mad:

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
MacBookPro13";16591289 said:
Thanks for the credit after I emailing you the story lads!

It's been all over the internet for 48 hours already [:rolleyes]...

----------

Yep.

THey must have known stock. No way they would have cold called.

Then again, year-end is pretty much synonym with full inventories. Then again, stealing EUR 1M of goods without being caught probably requires, like you suggest, quite a lot of inside intel and/or collaboration...

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
especially north African immigrants, now 2nd or 3rd gen, French-born, who love to steal, damage new stuff like train and metro glasses, wall tagging...

that why police forces have to sent reinforcements and focus on this area every year

Really....? Are we still going for this type of racial stereotyping?

Those North Africans, just love to steal and burn right? :rolleyes:

So I am betting you are one of these 'educated' people who believe that muggings are only carried out by young black men and that paedophile's are fat balding middle aged white men?

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Armed robery in France, hmmm

Hmmm, how very interesting (sad). And I thought that France had some of the strictest gun laws in the world (effectively outlawing guns), and yet 4 armed thugs robbed an Apple store there.

I wonder what they were doing with guns - oh wait, you mean to tell me that criminals don't care about the law?

The stories are light on detail, but at least it looks like they attacked after hours and nobody is dead.

And all the serial #'s of the stolen products are known, so authorities should eventually be able to trace at least one item back to the thieves. It's just a matter of time...

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK

Well, I'm French and live in paris.
Whilst I wouldn't focus like you on the racial aspect - which does not predispose anyone for any mean actions in case you forgot it - it is true that Paris (where I live) has become a very difficult, insecure city.

Using the subway to go back home after NYE was like going through an apocalyptic scene of drunk idiots and scum assaulting everyone, trying to touch girls, to steal purses and bags, shouting, vomiting in the metro, throwing junk out of the bins in every directions. I went home with the content of a McFlurry spread on my new suit after a stupid drunk teenager under drugs threw it at me and his five friends tried to get into an argument with me and my girlfriend. Police don't do anything and can't do anything without being heavily criticized by the whole population. There is clearly a total lack of respect, of education, of hygiene, of order in the city.

While it is obvious that many poor migrants or children of migrants take part in the riots and disrupt the quietness of other citizens, let's face it, rioting, getting drunk and revolting against order is something deeply rooted in the French culture. Poor, inoccupied people, who assault or revolt or do graffitis on the walls, among whom quite a few migrants, act in a way that is very... French. Because their own parents and also because school, the French school system, failed to educate them. A way that does not solve any problems by the way... The more it is, the more I despise the shape the French society is turning into.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá

Glad to see racism (that's irony for you yanks) is alive and well on this board.

----------

Whilst I wouldn't focus like you on the racial aspect - which does not predispose anyone for any mean actions in case you forgot it - it is true that Paris (where I live) has become a very difficult, insecure city.

Using the subway to go back home after NYE was like going through an apocalyptic scene of drunk idiots and scum assaulting everyone, trying to touch girls, to steal purses and bags, shouting, vomiting in the metro, throwing junk out of the bins in every directions. I went home with the content of a McFlurry spread on my new suit after a stupid drunk teenager under drugs threw it at me and his five friends tried to get into an argument with me and my girlfriend. Police don't do anything and can't do anything without being heavily criticized by the whole population. There is clearly a total lack of respect, of education, of hygiene, of order in the city.

While it is obvious that many poor migrants or children of migrants take part in the riots and disrupt the quietness of other citizens, let's face it, rioting, getting drunk and revolting against order is something deeply rooted in the French culture. Poor, inoccupied people, who assault or revolt or do graffitis on the walls, among whom quite a few migrants, act in a way that is very... French. Because their own parents and also because school, the French school system, failed to educate them. A way that does not solve any problems by the way... The more it is, the more I despise the shape the French society is turning into.

No justice no peace, just a thought like.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009

it's not racism

as long as we point out the truth, it's racism...

seriously, in any other country, no matter where they come from, they feel like being real citizens, except in France, where the society, school and politics are always those to blame

nobody failed to educate them and forced them to burn cars

i have travelled in many places surrounded by immigrants and never felt safe while being in Paris

my african or arabian friends are even ashamed of seeing this kind of situations

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If Apple's products were overpriced, then there would be no customers for their products. Given that Apple's stores are so crowded, and with waiting list for some of their products, it might, in fact, mean that some of their products are underpriced.

I gave up two years of my life at Apple retail. Those lines aren't for purchases unless it's new iPhone week. Most of our foot traffic was the result of Genius Bar appointments, and about 70% of those where for the iPhone.

You seriously typed this? Thieve's conversation in your mind "Apple store or PC World?" "Well, Samsung's price point is more reasonable, so let's hit the Apple Store!"

You are clearly an android user.

They hit the Apple Store because Apple products are in demand, and they can get rid of them quickly. That is all.

Last I checked a $4000 PC costs the same as a $4000 Mac. Since the article only tells us how much was stolen and not sold for, anyone's point about a "Samsung" or "PC" store NOT being robbed is moot.

Now, the real question is why these stores are getting robbed so easily, or why are retail employees able to heist so much merchandise? When I worked retail at Apple, there were at least 4 levels of security for each section of the store, 5 for the Genius Bar repairs, and almost 8 total if you had no business being in the BOH.

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Riots and fights always happen on New Year's Eve in Paris - in fact, that city is a dumpster and a train wreck in terms of safety, always infested with illegal immigrants and unemployed youths coming from the banlieues.

I was offered many things on the Champs Elysees... That strip is full of people and had police combing the street during NYE. Nothing like champagne in streets of Paris. Come to find out that tower lights up every hour!

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
If their products weren't so over priced then there wouldn't be such a false second hand product market. You don't see people smash and grab PC World for some Samsung laptops because their prices are reasonable so there isn't a stupid second hand market.

Seriously? Blame the price for it being stolen? So the fact that they make products people want to buy wouldn't be the reason but the price is the reason? Get real, I don't see people going to a local BMW dealer stealing and selling cars, in fact lower priced Japanese cars are stolen much more often why? Because there is a demand, nothing to do with price.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Wow, I was just in that store recently...
Apple needs to find a way to beef up their security in these stores. The more these stories are in the news the more smash and grabs are going to happen...

Not really, all the stuff on the shop floor is tagged and lo-jacked. History shows, if they put up more barricades, people just get more reckless. Sure Apple couldbe like every other electronics store and put permanent bars up on tiny windows nobody so nobody can climb in. Put heavy barricaded doors up...

They can look like a pawn shop on 8 Mile in Deroit.

ID like the media to do report what the RECOVERY RATE is for these heists. ID bet Aple ends up with most of the stuff accounted for rather quickly. THAT is how you deter crime.. Report how fast the stuff gets picked up by cops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.