Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I love it!

Okay, so its hated ...

These two posts back to back were pretty funny.

And there are major problems with iTunes that DIDN'T get fixed:

1. Selecting movies and such for including on an iPod has always been a mess. I have 800 movies, but the default choice for adding to the iPod are based on how many are unwatched. I like to watch movies more than once, so why isn't "include checked" an option?...

Is it really that big a deal to sync the checked movies by checking them in the movies list presented in the iPod sync interface? That's the way that I do it. No muss, no fuss.

3. Why haven't they made it so the tags for movies and TV shows are fully editable? No Actors or Director or Short/Long descriptions fields. I have to use MetaZ to fill those in.

I'll agree with you here. I use MetaZ, too. I suspect that the answer has to do with Apple's view of things. From their perspective, videos that you add personally shouldn't need to have those tags editable. After all, any movie that you have bought a legitimate digital copy of will have all of those tags already properly assigned. Ripping DVDs? That's a no-no, even if you own the DVD. So why should Apple provide such functionality. Who knows, maybe they even have a deal with the movie studios that they won't provide that kind of functionality, just as they don't provide the functionality to rip DVDs.

My take on iTunes 11 is that it provides some real benefits. I rarely use iTunes as anything other than a communication center for my iDevices. However, with the advent of iTunes 11, iTunes has become a reasonable interface for our home theater Mac Mini. Having dealt with Plex, XBMC, and Boxee, all of which have issues ranging from irritating to critical (and, while I felt I could deal with some of them, my wife found them all far too frustrating to deal with), and having lost the, though limited, quite stable Front Row interface, the new iTunes interface for movies is really quite nice.

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
I have had enough.
Is there an alternative, good, music player that would sync with my iPhone?

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
it was 11.0.1, not 11.1, it was an extremely minor update to fix critical bugs like not automatically downloading purchases

and as far as "slap in the face" could you possibly be more dramatic? it's not that serious

it was the first update....PERIOD.

yes, there was an outcry over cover flow gone and apple should've addressed it.

end of.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
I've met A LOT of apple employees this past year. Four words: Fat. Arrogant. Nerd. Weirdos.

I would HATE to work at apple if I had to deal with these people for any longer than 5 seconds.

Whatever their recent standards for hiring, they could not be very high.

Whatever the reason, apple product launches are like opening up the sewer.

I think there is a lot to moan about with Apple at the moment but when i have visited the A store i've only met helpful polite staff and none them have been more than average build.
Also my father who is 90 next month has had a lot of email issues and for along time he was fobbed off by his internet provider but in the end he contacted Apple and paid a fee for their help, believe me they worked very hard over several long phone calls and over a few days and they helped to get the issues resolved on his mac and with the provider. He is partly deaf and Mums grasp of computers not that great but the Apple staff showed great perseverance and patience and resolved the problem.
Your comments maybe about Apple staff who are not on the front line and that i know nothing about.
Back to topic, not a fan of Tunes eleven

grborden

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
blows blows blows

I hate itunes 11 with a passion, and I never really cared before. It was such a change and so many stupid things were changed or move it is laughable.

The "up next" feature is terrible and really screws up how intuitive it was before. Also HATE the mini and how it's organized. I know you can look at "songs" to get the column browser I love (great for large libraries) but it doesn't allow you to see album art while in it, (like before) and you can't go to column browser when you're ipod is connected. (as when I go to work and take some music with me to listen to.)

I'm not only frustrated by all the changes, but the same lockout crap they are pulling for so many things. I'm not allowed to customize it really the way I want, and isn't that what apple has been since I could remember.

Don't even get me started on Mountain Lion...

This long time apple user is starting to get sour.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
itunes 11 is like a cheap bad designed web site, another craig federighi's masterpiece.:rolleyes:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
... Ripping DVDs? That's a no-no, even if you own the DVD. So why should Apple provide such functionality. ...

Don't know about the law where you live, but where I live it is legal to make and own digital copies of DVDs you've bought (as long as they are for personal/family use). Source: Kulturministeriet (Warning: it's in Danish).
So, as a global company, it would indeed be nice, if Apple provided such functionality.

----------

And on the topic of "Am I the only one who hates iTunes 11?"
Selecting View > Show Status Bar and View > Show Sidebar made iTunes 11 fine for me.
I miss coverflow, though (always loved looking at nice, big album art while listening to music).

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
iTunes 11 SUCKS! It has lost the simplicity and ease of use that made previous versions of iTunes winners.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Crossfade playback is still broken and won't update playcount (Windows 7), and it is DRIVING ME MAD how it goes back to the top of the list when you're browsing, it's been out nearly 2 months now and still no fixes - not good enough Apple

os-xperience

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
seriously!!!!!! there is no serious difference of itunes 11 from the previous version, no need to get excited

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
iTunes 11 SUCKS! It has lost the simplicity and ease of use that made previous versions of iTunes winners.

Apparently you never used the Windows versions if you described them as "simple" and "easy to use." iTunes 11 wasn't a much of an improvement as I'd have liked, but it was a step in the right direction as it removed some of the bloated code that made the Windows version very slow.

What I think iTunes needs is functionality like Diskaid that allows for better exchange of documents between the iPhone/iPad and a PC or Mac. It would help me move some things off my PC and Mac and more fully embrace the "post PC" era. The current iTunes method is clunky and hasn't changed much. With the new Mac version of Diskaid, I can transfer files to iOS apps such as GoodReader over Wi-Fi. It's simple and easy to use. That's the kind of thing iTunes 12 should add.

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Hey Apple, feel free to give us back cover flow after you took it away for no reason whatsoever and forcing us into boring lists and grids.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Yup, I cannot stand the newer versions of iTunes, I can never understand why people do this to a program that was working absolutely fine, now it is just getting more and more confusing to use.

Way to many different lists etc, you only need one with artwork down the left side as was.

builtex

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I would have rather Apple fixed bugs and improved the overall performance. Does anyone know if they repaired that glitch ?

Tikthra

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I love the algorithm they're using to colour-code track lists on the album viewer but there's a whole lot of rough edges, particularly to do with the removal of the right-hand sidebar; if you're organising your iPod or iPhone you can switch out to your media library without clicking the 'Done' button, a needless obstification of the UI. It feels a little beta-ish, it has the sorts of problems you imagine will be ironed out in future updates.

Hopefully.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Don't know about the law where you live, but where I live it is legal to make and own digital copies of DVDs you've bought (as long as they are for personal/family use). Source: Kulturministeriet (Warning: it's in Danish).
So, as a global company, it would indeed be nice, if Apple provided such functionality.

Fair point. Here in the USA, there is what's called the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, or DMCA, which prohibits the ripping of DVDs, even if they're yours and you're only doing it to have a digital copy for personal use. In general, this is, I believe, considered the reason why Apple does not include ripping functionality in iTunes. However, as the DMCA is country specific, and Apple's market is worldwide, it's a reasonable argument that including full meta tag editing capabilities would be a good thing.

Of course, the flip side is that what Apple really wants is for you to buy your movies from the iTunes store....

I would have rather Apple fixed bugs and improved the overall performance. Does anyone know if they repaired that glitch ?

Uh... What glitch are you talking about?

I love the algorithm they're using to colour-code track lists on the album viewer...

isn't it fantastic? I love it in the movie displays. Very sharp. :D

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
It's one thing liking or disliking a version, such as when a model of a car changes (at least the car car still runs)
But with this version it doesn't work. freezes and has the look and feel of Microsoft software in 1995

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Yes, I hate iTunes 11. Hybrid view was an absolute must for me. Without it, I've been forced to look elsewhere for my standard music player. I'm liking Musicbee so far.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Yes, I hate iTunes 11. Hybrid view was an absolute must for me. Without it, I've been forced to look elsewhere for my standard music player. I'm liking Musicbee so far.

Musicbee sure does look enticing, but does it do anything better than iTunes 10.7 which I'm currently at and satisfied with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.