Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:46 PM   #51
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
We're working on some incredible stuff. The pipeline is chock full. We feel great about what we've got in store.

"Incredible"
It used to be "revolutionary" and "magical". Now it's just "incredible". No wonder AAPL falling like a rock
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:46 PM   #52
tekstud
macrumors member

Just got a refurbished ATV for $85- Who is returning these things? Refurbished makes sense as a purchase for something rarely seen and simple in its complexity. Not sure how it can be improved upon hardware-wise? Only if Apple adds more Apps- Amazon , Ulraviolet. But these will never happen.
It's flat right now. Apple has boxed itself into a corner with the current ATV. Not a gamer so not interested in an upgrade in that regard.
tekstud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:48 PM   #53
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Every other company that made a 7" tablet.
Last time I checked iPad mini's aren't sitting on store shelves. Cook says they can't make them fast enough.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:48 PM   #54
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorGato1 View Post
>>I guess releasing an ipad mini with retina screen does not apply here.
And yet so many others think they have indeed made the best product ever, I count myself one of them.

Criteria are different for different people, they are neither universal nor absolute.

Sorry, I'm just so tired of this "the mini is crap because it's not retina" b***h fest that repeats more than a broken record.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:48 PM   #55
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I understand the "revenue for revenue's sake" part and believe it, but the whole thing about Apple's top priority being making good products is not believable, and it's the most common advertising statement made by any company.
And that is fine, you don't have to buy products that you don't believe represent the value to you for the money they are offered at. I think the majority of us here (at a rumors site dedicated to Apple products) feel that Apple makes some great products. I think almost everything they make are not only good, but truly great products. That isn't to say that I don't wish this feature or that feature were included, but IMHO there aren't a bunch of "not good" products that Apple has made. Your opinion may differ.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #56
tekstud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
And yet so many others think they have indeed made the best product ever, I count myself one of them.

Criteria are different for different people, they are neither universal nor absolute.

Sorry, I'm just so tired of this "the mini is crap because it's not retina" b***h fest that repeats more than a broken record.
It's not crap but it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #57
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
Just got a refurbished ATV for $85- Who is returning these things? Refurbished makes sense as a purchase for something rarely seen and simple in its complexity. Not sure how it can be improved upon hardware-wise? Only if Apple adds more Apps- Amazon , Ulraviolet. But these will never happen.
It's flat right now. Apple has boxed itself into a corner with the current ATV. Not a gamer so not interested in an upgrade in that regard.
Apps might happen--they happened on iOS! But that's software.

Hardware-wise? Well, typing can be important when you have a lot of content available to search, and the current remote (though I love the size) is poor at that. A new remote, or Siri, or SOMETHING would be useful.

And then they can always boost the specs... but those don't matter to me without apps. For video, my projector is 720p, and meeting that level is all I care about.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #58
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
Jobs always said Apple main objective is not to make money.
I guess they haven't achieved their main objective then.
SeanR1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:57 PM   #59
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
And that is fine, you don't have to buy products that you don't believe represent the value to you for the money they are offered at. I think the majority of us here (at a rumors site dedicated to Apple products) feel that Apple makes some great products. I think almost everything they make are not only good, but truly great products. That isn't to say that I don't wish this feature or that feature were included, but IMHO there aren't a bunch of "not good" products that Apple has made. Your opinion may differ.
I think Apple makes great products, the best on the market, but a statement that they care about making good products and not money can't be credited. It could actually be true, but it's not likely. Apple's whole strategy seems to be making great products, which makes people trust them, making them money.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Last time I checked iPad mini's aren't sitting on store shelves. Cook says they can't make them fast enough.
I didn't say they weren't selling. I said that they aren't what the market demanded. Steve used to say that the consumer doesn't know what he wants, and he was right about that. I remember that I used to hate iPhones until I got one... now I just hate how much people use them, not the devices themselves. They're amazing.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:57 PM   #60
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think Apple makes great products, the best on the market, but a statement that they care about making good products and not money can't be credited. It could actually be true, but it's not likely. Apple's whole strategy seems to be making great products, which makes people trust them, making them money.
Except that's not what he said.
flux73 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:58 PM   #61
tekstud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Apps might happen--they happened on iOS! But that's software.

Hardware-wise? Well, typing can be important when you have a lot of content available to search, and the current remote (though I love the size) is poor at that. A new remote, or Siri, or SOMETHING would be useful.

And then they can always boost the specs... but those don't matter to me without apps. For video, my projector is 720p, and meeting that level is all I care about.
FYI- The current Gen 3 ATV is 1080P so maybe you should just get Gen2 on eBay? Or change the settings?
Forget the remote in the box- use the Remote app for iPhone or iPad, so much better.

Last edited by tekstud; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:59 PM   #62
tipp
macrumors regular

Quote:
I understand the "revenue for revenue's sake" part and believe it, but the whole thing about Apple's top priority being making good products is not believable, and it's the most common advertising statement made by any company.
It's 100% believable. Apple believes that the best way to make the most profits is by making the best products they can. Steve Jobs said this many times. Making the best products they can will continue to please their customers and add to their profit. Why is it not believable? If they focused on revenues or profits before product quality, it would make them cut corners more than they'd like and their products would suffer for it. These are not mutually exclusive ideas.
tipp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #63
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp View Post
It's 100% believable. Apple believes that the best way to make the most profits is by making the best products they can. Steve Jobs said this many times. Making the best products they can will continue to please their customers and add to their profit. Why is it not believable? If they focused on revenues or profits before product quality, it would make them cut corners more than they'd like and their products would suffer for it. These are not mutually exclusive ideas.
What you said is believable, and I agree with it. That's not what Cook said. The objective of Apple is to make money, and it does this by making great (typically the best) products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I have to DOWNSCALE the Apple TV to 720p to get it to work, ironically. Do you have a Sony Qualia projector, by chance?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #64
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How is that smart? That's what Apple did... in the 90s. And that's what Samsung and other crappy companies do.
Why are companies other than Apple crappy?
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:03 PM   #65
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What you said is believable, and I agree with it. That's not what Cook said. The objective of Apple is to make money, and it does this by making great (typically the best) products.
And again, Cook said Apple is not about making REVENUE for REVENUE'S sake. He did not say they are not out for money or profit. He was making a specific point using specific language and people keep using words that don't mean what he meant or what he said.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:03 PM   #66
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Why are companies other than Apple crappy?
They make bad, cheaply-made products and flood the market with as many different models as possible to get more revenue. But I'm referring to some companies other than Apple, not ALL companies other than Apple.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #67
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

I didn't say they weren't selling. I said that they aren't what the market demanded. Steve used to say that the consumer doesn't know what he wants, and he was right about that. I remember that I used to hate iPhones until I got one... now I just hate how much people use them, not the devices themselves. They're amazing.
If by market you mean consumers then I don't agree. I think we got 7" tablets because Amazon and Android OEM's knew the only way they could compete with iPad was on price.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #68
driceman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Biggest lie ever.
It's a lie and it isn't IMO. They want to make revenue, and they intend to do that by making the best products they can because that's how they've done it in the past.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #69
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
And again, Cook said Apple is not about making REVENUE for REVENUE'S sake. He did not say they are not out for money or profit. He was making a specific point using specific language and people keep using words that don't mean what he meant or what he said.

"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

The bold part is the part I call unbelievable. The underlined part is the part I agree with.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #70
Schmitty11
Banned

Yeah right Apple.

The first thing they told me in business school? Businesses are in business to make money.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:06 PM   #71
tipp
macrumors regular

Quote:
As Nunyabinez said, you need to learn how to read. It is what Cook said and what he and Apple believes. You wrote, "but a statement that they care about making good products and not money can't be credited." Nowhere did Cook say they didn't care about making money. He said "revenue for revenue's sake." That means they will not compromise product quality for the sole purpose of increasing revenue. Better reading comprehension please. Stop digging your hole...
tipp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #72
nazaar
macrumors 6502

halo effect

They buy one Apple product and then buy another AND then they realize the first Apple product they bought has a defective part... but it's less the 2 years old, how can that be!?!?!?!

I'm gonna think twice before I do this again
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #73
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp View Post
Jony Ive has said the same thing. Make great products, run your business well and the money will come. I doubt when Apple's designers are working on new products they're thinking about how much money it's going to make the company.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #74
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

Just wish they offered better hardware in the MacBooks to justify the prices. I hate how they do the slow annual updates and bump up specs just by a bit. Or like with the iPad 1 not having a camera and putting it in the next gen. Like it was impossible to get a camera inside the 1st one And the iPad Mini not having retina...
Kobayagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #75
wbeasley
macrumors regular

If it aint broke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olowott View Post
got no complaint

only one

Make sure iOS get revolutionised
Have a look at how "wonderfully well" Microsoft have "revolutionised" Windows with Win8.

I'd much rather the incremental changes we get with iOS and MacOS thank you very much.

Change for change's sake is not good.

If you want constant newness, jump to Android and play in their pool. I dipped my toe there and jumped back out again. It's for tinkerers and non-thinkers who just want a cheap product. Google have played a smart game letting multiple vendors, who had little choice, to use their "open software". We got cheap products. But we also got a cheap experience on many (not all) devices. There are some shockingly awful budget tablets out there. Give me the "walled garden" keeping things under reasonable control any day. And universal OS updates for the last few gens of hardware all on the same day, not at the carrier or manufacturer's whim.
wbeasley is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion