Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Had the opportunity to spend about 45 mins waiting for service at ATT and spent that time playing with HTC, Nokia and Samsung phones. All where beautifully designed and handling phones. The only one that seemed even remotely 'big' was the Samsung Note. I'd still take it though. All these phones had large, bright, beautiful screens and very nice curved designs so they felt great in the hand. I'd have been pleased to take any one of them home. But I was there for another reason, so no new phone today.

SO, while I waited the rest of the time I pulled out my 4S to read a book I was in the middle of. My god, this thing felt embarrassingly small and I could barely make out the microscopic text. I tell ya, if Apple didn't have their eco system going for them (which I am also sucked into), they'd be in bad shape.

Anyone still holding on that the iPhone is the best phone out there is deluding themselves. And an extra row of icons on the 5 doesn't change that.

It's very clear to me as well that Windows Phone 8 os is the most modern, innovative OS out there. It was a pleasure to use.

I sure hope like hell Apple has something in the works besides more of the same for the next iPhone because there's just too many better options out there now.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I tell ya, if Apple didn't have their eco system going for them (which I am also sucked into), they'd be in bad shape.

That's really more in your head than anything.
Many felt the same before switching over and have found alternatives that work just as good or better than what's available through Apple's eco system.

I've switched and have been very happy with it.
Can't imagine going back to Apple at this point.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I find my Note 2 screen too small when reading a PDF book.

If you are talking about iBooks, you can always change the font size.

If I'm doing any sort of book reading, I would use my iPad.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
TWSS! :D

I agree in a way. Reading books on my iPhone was never okay. On my Kindle it is way better.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
SO, while I waited the rest of the time I pulled out my 4S to read a book I was in the middle of. My god, this thing felt embarrassingly small and I could barely make out the microscopic text.

Wait, so now, a phone size (3.5") that was large when first released in 2007 compared to most smartphones, and still is the predominantly available screen size on the VAST majority of iPhones in use, is something you're embarrassed to use now?

I think that says more about you than it does the iPhone.

----------

TWSS! :D

I agree in a way. Reading books on my iPhone was never okay. On my Kindle it is way better.

The iPhone is not designed to be a go-to e-reader.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Haha, I feel that way when I use my iphone. I just got a Note 2. IPhone is too small.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
So, this post will be a general response to the trend towards larger screen sizes in smartphones.

I wonder if people are starting to shop for phones in the same way they do for HDTVs? For example, if you have two TVs that are the same price, but one is 50" and one is 60", many people will opt for the larger of the two, the perception being that they're getting more bang for the buck.

It seems people are beginning to see value in larger phones, for similar reasons.

Thoughts?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
So, this post will be a general response to the trend towards larger screen sizes in smartphones.

I wonder if people are starting to shop for phones in the same way they do for HDTVs? For example, if you have two TVs that are the same price, but one is 50" and one is 60", many people will opt for the larger of the two, the perception being that they're getting more bang for the buck.

It seems people are beginning to see value in larger phones, for similar reasons.

Thoughts?

Not me.

I don't carry my HDTV around in my pocket.

I value the size and portability of my iPhone. Would I use my iPhone to read iBooks and PDF books often? No. That's what my iPad is for.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Agreed, the iPhone 5 is bigger (longer) but not really made for enjoyable reading at least for me.

I also agree with the OP, there is a trend for larger phones and so the iPhone 4 definitely feels much smaller then the current competition.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
You just couldn't not put a dig in, could you. :p

Screen size isn't everything and, believe it or not, not everyone shares your opinion.
Nor yours. :p That's why I posted it in the Alternatives to iOS forum.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Not me.

I value the size and portability of my iPhone. Would I use my iPhone to read iBooks and PDF books often? No. That's what my iPad is for.

Precisely, and an extra inch in screen size isn't going to make much of a difference in reading. If you plan to do a lot of book reading, a tablet is always going to be the better alternative.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't get the tiny font argument. The font for the most part is the same physical size across all phones and even into tablets. Unless they are talking about an option in setting to increase the font size, if that's the case the size of the actual screen still doesn't have anything to do with it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Had the opportunity to spend about 45 mins waiting for service at ATT and spent that time playing with HTC, Nokia and Samsung phones. All where beautifully designed and handling phones. The only one that seemed even remotely 'big' was the Samsung Note. I'd still take it though. All these phones had large, bright, beautiful screens and very nice curved designs so they felt great in the hand. I'd have been pleased to take any one of them home. But I was there for another reason, so no new phone today.

SO, while I waited the rest of the time I pulled out my 4S to read a book I was in the middle of. My god, this thing felt embarrassingly small and I could barely make out the microscopic text. I tell ya, if Apple didn't have their eco system going for them (which I am also sucked into), they'd be in bad shape.

Anyone still holding on that the iPhone is the best phone out there is deluding themselves. And an extra row of icons on the 5 doesn't change that.

It's very clear to me as well that Windows Phone 8 os is the most modern, innovative OS out there. It was a pleasure to use.

I sure hope like hell Apple has something in the works besides more of the same for the next iPhone because there's just too many better options out there now.

Before the iPhone 5 release I was complaining about how small the iPhone screen was since about 2009. I was under the impression that a 4" screen would be the sweet spot.

Well after using the iPhone 5 since its launch and demoing tons of phones over the past year my perspective has definitely changed. The 4" iPhone 5 screen isn't much of a different portrait experience because they only made it longer. I still find text in Safari to be too small for my liking. Furthermore I'm enamored with 4.7"-5" screens. That's probably the ideal size for many consumers. (Realize I said many and not all.) At 4.7"-5" I find text in portrait mode to be much easier to read plus photos are a lot more alive.

But much to my surprise I'm actually open to owning a 5.5" screened phone in the future. Once an IPS display lands on such a device (with LTE) I'll probably ditch my iPhone 5.

I'm confident that in a matter of hours Apple will tell us that the iPhone 5 is selling like crazy. It's a great phone. But competition right now is offering some really worthy alternatives. In fact I think 2013 will be the year of the 5" flagship devices. (Xperia Z/ZL, Galaxy SIV, Droid DNA, HTC M7, Google X.) Bigger isn't always better but I'm guessing that 5" will become the go-to size or at least close to that for the foreseeable future.

I don't think it's out of the question that Apple will offer a 4.8"-5" iPhone in 2014 but it won't be until the summer or fall. In that time the competition will eat away at potential iPhone sales IMO.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Not me.

Then why did you buy a Note II which at the time was the biggest HDTV of smartphones.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Personally I am ok with the size of the iPhone 5, and with the design of iOS. Sure it would be great if Apple spruced it up a little bit (as long as it's for the better) But I love the way it works now. And a jailbroken iPhone is like icing on the cake (even though I havent been able to jailbreak my iphone 5 yet I know)

Anway... that being said I can certainly see the other side of the argument, sometimes I look at the samsung GS3 or the HTC one X and kind of envy the screen real estate a little bit. The Note I think is way too big for a phone but again thats just my personal opinion.

So in conclusion I am content with my iPhone 5 form factor and I love it... but if Apple released a 4.8" iPhone tomorrow I would be all over it lol..... As I'm sure alot of people bashing bigger screens would be. And some would genuinely want to stay with the 4" and some even with 3.5" ....... No one is right or wrong here its all personal preference, and preferences change.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Meh, phones like the note are embarrassingly huge. I don't know why some are so against small phones, personally I like them small, but I do weird stuff on them like make calls and other "phone" type stuff. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down larger phones, I tried to like them, the note was truly embarrassing but that was personally to me, others can handle it just fine and I give them credit.

I'm certainly not saying apple is the best phone, if they ever were. But some of us like phone first type phones and if apple does go larger I hope they at least keep a smaller model available. If I need a bigger screen I simply take my iPad or windows tablet along.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

It's so refreshing to read an intelligent take on the state of smart phones today. Size does matter and in this case it's Apples turn to follow the market.

I've got my fingers crossed that the "MathPhone" will be brought to life by Apple. Not only because it will meet my needs, but I'm convinced they'll sell an impressive number of them. In turn Apples reputation as a contemporary maker of smartphones will get a huge boost.

Just what Apple and many of their long term supports like me are looking for.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Thoughts?
Part of it is human psychology, yes. We tend to think the bigger/louder thing is better when that isn't always the case (louder music, even with some distortions, will sound "better" to almost everyone).

This whole phone size debate really is all opinion. For me, I'm a guy with smaller hands (size M glove) and the 5 is just a tad to long for me to reach the entire screen with one hand. One handed operation is important to me as I'm regularly carrying my 1 year old daughter.

I really wouldn't mind having a Note II to play with though but, then again, I'm a gadget freak.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Part of it is human psychology, yes. We tend to think the bigger/louder thing is better when that isn't always the case (louder music, even with some distortions, will sound "better" to almost everyone).

This whole phone size debate really is all opinion. For me, I'm a guy with smaller hands (size M glove) and the 5 is just a tad to long for me to reach the entire screen with one hand. One handed operation is important to me as I'm regularly carrying my 1 year old daughter.

Agreed, and typically with TV's if you different sizes are the same price, usually the smaller of the two will be higher quality/have more features, whatever extra value added things it has.

I recently sold my iPhone 5 in favor of the Nexus 4, but I had many more reasons other than screen size to do so, and I felt more comfortable doing it knowing I still had my iPad mini to keep me in the loop with iOS.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Then why did you buy a Note II which at the time was the biggest HDTV of smartphones.

S-pen mainly.

Wanted a device that is portable enough to carry around daily. Wanted the s-pen to take notes and draw.

The Note 2 is silly as a phone, but too small for what I wanted.

Will definitely get the 8" Note when it comes out at the rumor price of $250.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010

Why? Because you prefer a larger screen?

I am very happy with the size of the iPhone. Pre-5 and the 5. I have small hands and I don't read books on my iPhone. I read them on my Kindle.

I held a Galaxy S3 in my hands and could not comfortably use the phone with one hand, which is pretty important to me when it comes to a phone.

I have an iPad Mini and recently purchased a Nexus 7 to get more familiar with Android, so I could see if I truly prefer Apple or i'm just using it because that's what I have.

All this stuff about the best phone or best OS or whatever is silly. The best is relative. Everyone doesn't want to customize. Everyone doesn't want a big screen. Everyone doesn't want a plastic-y phone.

If you like Android phones more than Apple phones, by all means, use them and love them and spread the gospel, but to put down other peoples' opinions on something as relative as a phone preference as delusions is a pretty delusional statement in itself.

People who are pro-Apple in this way are ridiculous as well. I don't give a crap what OS you like.

I got crap from some friends for buying the Nexus 7 to try out Android. So strange to me.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I used the iPhone since day 1, and now currently use a Galaxy SIII, and a Nexus 4. However, it would be a really hard transition to make going back to the iPhone, and the 3.5 inch display. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.