Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:29 PM   #201
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
What's ridiculous about it? Wozniak designed the first two products; Jobs sold them.

Without Wozniak, Jobs would've had no circuit boards to sell, and there'd be no Apple Computer to start with.

After that, Wozniak designed the Apple II internals (and Jobs contracted out the case design), which was what really launched Apple and made them both millionaires. That led to everything else.

The same goes for Jobs, of course. Without him, Wozniak would never have sold his hobby boards.
What I had found ridiculous is that nobody I read here said what you said, finally. I know what WOZ did and it was monumental but without somebody to sell the products (As Jobs did) they will humbly stay in the garage and remain the creator's dream. Anybody can create a company and products to go with it but without sales there will be no company.

This is not in regards to you per say but people here are quick to give Woz credit for starting the company and cheerfully ignore the fact that the company was about to fold in the 90's. Jobs came back with his creative genius and spent a good many years rebuilding the company which is why it's successful today. So people can give Woz all the credit they want but truthfully Apple was gonna die in the 90's so these posts about "Without Woz there would be no Apple", that would only be true to the mid 90's and after that Apple would just be nothing more than history. The company being alive and well today has nothing to do with Woz.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:41 PM   #202
Fogtripper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicanyor View Post
It does not matter what everyone here are saying right now. Because when the movie comes out all of you are going to check it out!!!
Saw last night's premier at Sundance. Wasn't terrible. Stayed for the Q&A afterward. Kutcher certainly came off as a Jobs fan.

Fogtripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:50 PM   #203
touchmonkey
macrumors 6502

Even if the history is all wrong, a movie could succeed with good writing/directing/acting.
Don't know about the rest of it, but Kutcher can't act.
Kinda reminds me of John Travolta.
They got their starts playing themselves as the mindless Barbarino/Kelso and got the rest of their careers from that.
This is not acting.
Kutcher may be worse because he's just exploiting his slight resemblance to the Steve Jobs of that day. And he fancies himself a "techie". His shark has jumped.
His co-star is getting better reviews, even though I've never seen a picture of Woz from that era that has him in Jerri-curls.
Don't yell at me, its just my opinion.
Oh, and Mila, dump that clown, you ain't no circus girl.
touchmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:53 PM   #204
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I don't care if the film is accurate, I just want it to be entertaining.

Example: "The Social Network"

From that quick clip, it's hard to make any real conclusions other than Woz looks ridiculous.
Quote:
The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher

Cnet review

Not sounding promising as entertainment so far.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:54 PM   #205
touchmonkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Saw last night's premier at Sundance. Wasn't terrible.
I believe that is going to be the most favorable honest review of this thing.
touchmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #206
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol7ron View Post
Woz is Oz...The great and powerful
No no. Woz is the WOZ OF OZ. Woz Of Oz. I like that. Sounds quite nice don't it?
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:01 PM   #207
touchmonkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post

Cnet review

"The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher."
Burn, as Kelso would say.
And the reviewer doesn't even say "lose arguments to Steve Jobs" but to Ashton Kutcher.
Double burn.
touchmonkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:08 PM   #208
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
What I had found ridiculous is that nobody I read here said what you said, finally. I know what WOZ did and it was monumental but without somebody to sell the products (As Jobs did) they will humbly stay in the garage and remain the creator's dream. Anybody can create a company and products to go with it but without sales there will be no company.

This is not in regards to you per say but people here are quick to give Woz credit for starting the company and cheerfully ignore the fact that the company was about to fold in the 90's. Jobs came back with his creative genius and spent a good many years rebuilding the company which is why it's successful today. So people can give Woz all the credit they want but truthfully Apple was gonna die in the 90's so these posts about "Without Woz there would be no Apple", that would only be true to the mid 90's and after that Apple would just be nothing more than history. The company being alive and well today has nothing to do with Woz.
Well yes it was going to fold due to mismanagement of standard issue business types. The reason there was a company to save was a cash horde generated off the back of apple ][ series. A fan base generated off the back of the apple][ vs com64 nerd wars. Most importantly an engineering and creation culture that at Apple, from all reports, was lead by Wozniak.

Neither Steve was leader apple needed when it started. Jobs came back as that leader, but you do a disservice to history if you just rule out those who lead from the sides.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:09 PM   #209
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:

He would have given them away and been happy..

I'll conveniently forget Jobs at every opportunity because hey was not a man worthy of respect any more than J.P. Morgan or any of the other robber barons. Because you build a successful doesn't mean I need to like or respect you. I much prefer Stallman, and Torvalds men of strong personality and ideas with huge egos's but are respected because they are deeper than a pond.
GermanyChris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:11 PM   #210
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmonkey View Post
"The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher."
Burn, as Kelso would say.
And the reviewer doesn't even say "lose arguments to Steve Jobs" but to Ashton Kutcher.
Double burn.
I guess the question now is...
Is it bad enough to be good?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:27 PM   #211
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post

Cnet review

The opening scene (as described in that review) makes it sound like Jobs invented the MP3 player (or that the iPod was the first, which it was not). I believe it was the Diamond Rio like 3 years before the iPod came out.
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:51 PM   #212
Truss Wrod
macrumors newbie

I heard Don Was was going to direct iWoz but it was David Was who was the wiz behind Woz.
Truss Wrod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #213
G51989
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

Woz is irrelevant and only opens his mouth so he can try and be relevant again. What has he done lately, other than stand on line for new phones being released?
Yes, he's so irrelevant that your iPhone wouldn't exist without his expertise, and assistance to Jobs in Starting Apple. Without Woz, Jobs would have ended up selling used cars. Woz is very important to the history of Apple.

What have you done with your life? Help start one of the best Tech companies ever to exist? Oh yeah, unless you helped start IBM, Cicsco, Microsoft, Apple, or Google. You don't have **** on Woz.

Last edited by G51989; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
G51989 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:52 PM   #214
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Reality is boring. A 90 minutes movie almost always have to "spice it up." Building a computer to make $20, yeah, boring.

I luv u Woz, but I couldn't get pass the first chapter of your book.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:27 PM   #215
Smearbrick
macrumors newbie

I just want to know how long into the movie before Steve parts the red sea?
Smearbrick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:40 PM   #216
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smearbrick View Post
I just want to know how long into the movie before Steve parts the red sea?
Judeo-Christian parables aren't really appropriate, try http://ahimsacounseling.org/Buddhist_Parables.html ...
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:47 PM   #217
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Just like the social network
I liked the social network....
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:52 PM   #218
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Yes, he's so irrelevant that your iPhone wouldn't exist without his expertise, and assistance to Jobs in Starting Apple. Without Woz, Jobs would have ended up selling used cars. Woz is very important to the history of Apple.

What have you done with your life? Help start one of the best Tech companies ever to exist? Oh yeah, unless you helped start IBM, Cicsco, Microsoft, Apple, or Google. You don't have **** on Woz.
While I respect Woz and you're right, no one should talk down on Woz really, IMO the same thing can be said that you wouldn't have your iMac, MacBook Pro, or that stuff without the iPhone. All those great computer boards that they built would just be nothing in general without Jobs having the visions he did.

Or the same thing can be said about Xerox have the GUI at that time? Maybe we should think Xerox even more than Jobs because they had the GUI and it is obvious that the Macintosh GUI was influenced by their GUI based on Apples Design Team being invited to view their GUI Computers.

Without any help none of the big companies would really be here. Maybe we should just thank them so much instead for them licensing or letting them use their hardware or software.
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:14 AM   #219
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You weren't reading very carefully thenů

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Woz was doing some pioneering stuff technically, which when paired with Jobs' mind for business, proved to be a winning combination. Apple would not have happened without either one.
Most people were just trying to defend Woz's rightful place in Apple's history. That takes nothing away from what Jobs did with the Macintosh, or upon his return to Apple. Take a deep breath and relax. Jobs' legacy is secure. Woz doesn't need to lose for Jobs to win.

I think we've really exhausted this topic. Who's up for a pointless debate over who was the better Beatle: Lennon or McCartney?
kalsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:19 AM   #220
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Like many tech nerds I think Woz has a very mild aspergers. I know a man who's has very mild aspergers and everything he says has a haughty, superior or boasting tone... but because it's mild people just assume he's a bit of a tool when he's actually a nice guy. He just doesn't know how how he comes across.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:23 AM   #221
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
I liked the social network....
Me too, but apparently it wasn't all that accurate sometimes.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #222
beau09er
macrumors newbie

My 2 Cents

I don't know what actually happened because I'm not Steve or Woz. Hopefully the movie is entertaining just as The Social Network was.

When I watched this first preview/clip/trailer though, I really did feel like it was making Woz look like the stupid one and Steve look like Mr. Perfect. I really didn't like that. All people have flaws, and hopefully they show some of Steve's in order to make it feel more realistic. And if they are going to throw Woz under the bus for being stubborn, hopefully they at least show how smart he is when it comes to engineering.
beau09er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:10 AM   #223
Bezetos
macrumors 6502a

This is a film about Jobs. Of course they will keep up the appearances that Jobs invented/designed/came up with everything. It would be a lot more boring if the film was more accurate, e.g. showing company purchases etc.. I wonder if they'll even show how he had a difficult time with his OCD? I just hope most people won't think this is an accurate depiction of his life.

Steve Wozniak has all the right to complaint.
Bezetos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:08 AM   #224
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
what happened? you mean assassinating another person's character?
Call the waaaambulance. Who in the hell cares if Woz get's his feelings hurt.
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:31 AM   #225
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
Call the waaaambulance. Who in the hell cares if Woz get's his feelings hurt.
More than a few of us obviously
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion