Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?

1. This will be more durable... Able to take more knocks.
2. This will push all the pocket iOS devices to ONE screen size so Apple can make a new size for iPad mini.
3. It keeps the same guts as iPhone 5 which are twice as fast as 4s. But puts them in a cheaper wrapper that will make phone companies happier. Stamped metal or plastic backing removes the expensive machined aluminum, glass, and external antennas... The overly expensive fancy stuff distracting from iPhone just being a plain good phone... Like the 3GS was.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is completely anti apple. A cheaper version of a product to attract the budget people. That's not what they do. They innovate and create an awesome product that makes the low budget people pinch pennies to afford it. And they always do!

There always comes a point in the future revenue projections where the premium (priced) product-maker forecasts declining sales volumes because those that can buy their product have and those that will pinch pennies to also buy have too. Then the decision is to settle for that leveling off of growth that will follow or build something to expand the pond from which new buyers can be fished.

My guess, except via Ebay and black market imports, this product won't be sold here (in America). We're dumb enough to believe "Free*" is free and pay the premium (and then some) through a contract commitment.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I find this plausible, at least. Plastic is weaker than metal, especially on sharp corners. So they'd likely change the sharp back edges of the iPhone to rounded contours of some kind.

The iPhone 3G/3GS was a terrific plastic iPhone design (other than being too slippery!) and other brands have perfectly decent plastic shells too. It seems like a near certainty that Apple would be planning a low-cost non-subsidized iPhone, at least for some parts of the world, just in CASE they need it.

They may not even know yet whether it will truly become a part of their offerings or not. (Just like they didn't initially know that OSX on Intel would be needed.) Apple works on lots of things, and they don't all see the light.

I won't predict whether a bottom-end iPhone sees the light, but I do believe it exists in the labs. (The details on it? They sound good but might just be guesses.)

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I have said this in countless threads, but it seams Wall street does not seem to get it. The iPhone 4 & the 4S are being sold for much cheaper then the price they were at launch. The iPhone 5S will be the same price as every iPhone that has been released. $199.00 and up. The only thing that disapoints me is still using a 4" screen. 4.5, 5" is perfect.

Wall Street gets that the customer has the choice of a latest gen LTE android device at zero cost on contract or a year old Apple 3G device at zero cost on contract.

You can say there's no difference between the two, but obviously there's a case to be made that Apple's leaving money on the table.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sooo....Apple, the company obsessed with aluminum and glass, obsessed with thin and light are going to make a thicker plastic iPhone? Not feeling it.

How much would the price of the iPod touch go up if they added cellular capabilities to it?

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
My guess, except via Ebay and black market imports, this product won't be sold here (in America). We're dumb enough to believe "Free*" is free and pay the premium (and then some) through a contract commitment.
It may be sold as prepaid phone

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
No, it's just the same situation as we have seen with iPhone prototype rumors before.

This phone probably does exist, as a prototype, like the other ones we've seen, but never officially released.. (Like the teardrop 5).

Apple probably has dozens of different prototypes on the go.

But the releases and timelines are the final decisions, made by Cook, and we won't know what those will be until a few weeks before, when the pics from the assembly factories really get into gear.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It may be sold as prepaid phone

Maybe. I really think this rumored phone would be aimed at countries like India, China, etc... places where for what we American's will blow on a single night out on the town equals a month or two total salary for some hard worker. Here, I think we're too easily suckered (conditioned) into the subsidy and "as long as I can make the monthly payment" mentality to deliver a genuinely better deal for us consumers. The various players like it "as is" too much.

But I'll hope with you... if for nothing else, the market of those here who will never pay the $2000+ for an iPhone + service "as is". That's a big market in and of itself.

ObjectiveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
This actually makes total sense to me. By replacing the 4s with the budget phone, Apple is able to make a complete transition if screen size. All phones being sold will be 4", which will let them utilize the space in the upcoming ios update. Maybe they will incorporate the taller app switcher that has been floating around?

Also, it would complete the change to the new charger/synch cable. The consistency may be worth any extra RD costs.

Exactly! It's just filling in the generation gap.

I wonder if this will be a one off item then as the 5 becomes the more affordable option.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My only take is that it's funny they might be making a low(er) budget iPhone and yet keeping the high cost/proprietary custom cable.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?

Apple might want everyone on their new display size, it might feature necessary tech for other regions that isn't in the 4, Apple might want more people using their new port/cable, more future proof for the next iOS, etc.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
TBH - depending on the unlocked price, this might make for a great backup phone.....

I know if I break my iPhone, I can pay the $250 (and I can't see this cheap iPhone being THAT cheap unsubsidized), but if I were to ever lose or have my phone stolen, I would be stuck paying a huge amount for a new one.

That would free me up to sell my current phone for the new one every year, instead of holding on to it like I currently do for backup purposes.

Not just third world countries targeted here!

Biggest question is (as others have pointed out): wouldn't this cannibalize the iPod touch? Depending on price that is...

----------

My only take is that it's funny they might be making a low(er) budget iPhone and yet keeping the high cost/proprietary custom cable.

If they give you one, who cares? The moaning about the cable is honestly one of the dumbest reasons to complain about the iPhone I've heard....

And now you know, given they just created a new (more durable I might add) cable/connector, that the cable they provide will work for the next decade +.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I don't understand this complaint. Cars are offered with different options. GM doesn't tell you to buy a $100,000 Corvette if you only want to spend $50,000, thus they offer various models.

Maybe people don't want to buy a year (or years) old phone when whey could spend the money on something newer.

Wow. Comparing apples to oranges on that one. :rolleyes:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't see how this is "low cost" as it's not really thicker than the iPhone 5, it will probably look great and has the same specs. So why is it low cost?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If they give you one, who cares? The moaning about the cable is honestly one of the dumbest reasons to complain about the iPhone I've heard....

And now you know, given they just created a new (more durable I might add) cable/connector, that the cable they provide will work for the next decade +.

I see you didn't get your daily dose of irony... ;)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
This is completely anti apple. A cheaper version of a product to attract the budget people. That's not what they do. They innovate and create an awesome product that makes the low budget people pinch pennies to afford it. And they always do!

Mac Minis, Mac Classics, LC series, Performa series, iBooks, Macbooks.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
If Apple can make money on a $299 5th gen iPod Touch... certainly they can make a similar spec device with phone components, sell it for a good deal less than $650, and still be making a tidy margin on the device. There's no need for it to be "world's thinnest", "fastest" or "best camera" or anything else. It can still be a luxury / up to Apple's quality standards-- just not the flagship model.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
WTF???? SERIOUSLY??? FOR REAL????

Why?

----------

Mac Minis, Mac Classics, LC series, Performa series, iBooks, Macbooks.

Mac Classics, LC Series, Performa series... (Macs that Steve Jobs himself throw on a trash can when he returned to Apple)

iBooks, MacBooks (ARENT CHEAP)

U R Totally wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.