Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Jailbreakers Should Update to iOS 6.1 Using iTunes, Not Using OTA Software Update!

Pimskeks of the Evad3rs Dev-Team reveals that those looking to apply the new iOS 6.1 jailbreak should update to the firmware using iTunes.

"If you people plan to upgrade to iOS 6.1 please don't do an OTA upgrade. Please make a full restore using iTunes."

Just moments ago Planetbeing confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today and MuscleNerd hinted that the jailbreak will be released this Sunday.

So in other words to be safe and if you want to be able to rerestore your A5+ devices after the SHSH window is closed make sure you do a restore with itunes and then pull and save your 6.1 shsh blobs for that device.
As you remember before those with A5 devices with factory installed firmware or OTA installed firmware could not use their blobs to be able to rerestore to the same firmware version.

You WILL NOT QUALIFY for restores if you got to your current 6.x via an OTA update
•the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
•even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
•it’s okay if you previously got to 6.1 via an OTA update, as long as your current 6.1 was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your latest 6.1
So if you already did an OTA 6.1 update you can just go to itunes and click restore.
Applejuiced is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
maximus96
macrumors 6502a

I'm still on 6.0. what's the best way to go about this? Itunes backup, itunes update, then itunes restore from backup?
maximus96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
Thanks for the information! Sunday can't come fast enough!
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Pimskeks of the Evad3rs Dev-Team reveals that those looking to apply the new iOS 6.1 jailbreak should update to the firmware using iTunes.

"If you people plan to upgrade to iOS 6.1 please don't do an OTA upgrade. Please make a full restore using iTunes."

Just moments ago Planetbeing confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today and MuscleNerd hinted that the jailbreak will be released this Sunday.

So in other words to be safe and if you want to be able to rerestore your A5+ devices after the SHSH window is closed make sure you do a restore with itunes and then pull and save your 6.1 shsh blobs for that device.
As you remember before those with A5 devices with factory installed firmware or OTA installed firmware could not use their blobs to be able to rerestore to the same firmware version.

You WILL NOT QUALIFY for restores if you got to your current 6.x via an OTA update
•the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
•even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
•it’s okay if you previously got to 6.1 via an OTA update, as long as your current 6.1 was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your latest 6.1
So if you already did an OTA 6.1 update you can just go to itunes and click restore.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I am on 6.0.2 and I got there via OTA it wouldn't matter what way I go to 6.1? The only reason to update via iTunes is for the ability to save shsh blobs to downgrade?
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
II BISTRO II
macrumors member

How do we pull and save shsh blobs? (Noob at this, haven't jailbroken since my original iphone in 2007 lol)

Iphone 5 on 6.0.2.. Can someone go through the steps?
II BISTRO II is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac7 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I am on 6.0.2 and I got there via OTA it wouldn't matter what way I go to 6.1? The only reason to update via iTunes is for the ability to save shsh blobs to downgrade?
No just downgrade also to reinstall 6.1 jb should problems occur. Remember 6.1.1 will be released straight after this jb goes live.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus96 View Post
I'm still on 6.0. what's the best way to go about this? Itunes backup, itunes update, then itunes restore from backup?
You can create a backup with itunes. Then plug in your iphone to itunes and hit restore. That will do a full restore and update it to the latest 6.1
Then you can restore from backup to get all your stuff back and be ready for the new jailbreak.
Same applies to those that already updated to 6.1 using an OTA update. Just plug it to itunes and do a restore and then you can sync your stuff back.

----------

Quote:
It doesnt matter how you got to 6.0.2
Just when you get to 6.1 do it by using an itunes restore. This way if anything goes wrong your blobs would be usable.
You will still be able to JB with an OTA 6.1 install just your blobs would be useless and when the windows closes you wont be able to do a restore or rerestore. You'd just be stuck with going stock and losing your JB for good.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by II BISTRO II View Post
How do we pull and save shsh blobs? (Noob at this, haven't jailbroken since my original iphone in 2007 lol)

Iphone 5 on 6.0.2.. Can someone go through the steps?
There should be an updated tinyumbrella version released before the JB.
And you can also use the latest redsnow version.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM   #8
curitibagarrett
macrumors member

Quote:
Same applies to those that already updated to 6.1 using an OTA update. Just plug it to itunes and do a restore and then you can sync your stuff back.
There are two restore options right?

There is the restore iPhone or restore backup. I am pretty sure it is restore iPhone right?
curitibagarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by curitibagarrett View Post
There are two restore options right?

There is the restore iPhone or restore backup. I am pretty sure it is restore iPhone right?
When you plug it in itunes theres restore and update.
Click restore.
Then once its done you can restore from backup if you want.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You can create a backup with itunes. Then plug in your iphone to itunes and hit restore. That will do a full restore and update it to the latest 6.1
Then you can restore from backup to get all your stuff back and be ready for the new jailbreak.

----------

It doesnt matter how you got to 6.0.2
Just when you get to 6.1 do it by using an itunes restore. This way if anything goes wrong your blobs would be usable.
You will still be able to JB with an OTA 6.1 install just your blobs would be useless and when the windows closes you wont be able to do a restore or rerestore. You'd just be stuck with going stock and losing your JB for good.

----------

There should be an updated tinyumbrella version released before the JB.
And you can also use the latest redsnow version.
So if I am coming from 6.0.2, all I need to do is update via iTunes? Or do I need to restore and set up from backup?

Thanks for all the help!
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
So if I am coming from 6.0.2, all I need to do is update via iTunes? Or do I need to restore and set up from backup?

Thanks for all the help!
The important part is restore to 6.1 using itunes.
It doesnt matter after that if your restore from your backup or setup as new. That's up to you. it will work either way.
Just dont get to 6.1 using an OTA update through the device settings.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:31 PM   #12
vilag001
macrumors newbie

Well, ****.

Okay guys, I just want to be sure on this before I do anything.

So now that I installed the OTA update by mistake I can go and do a full restore and I will have fixed the issue?
vilag001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:42 PM   #13
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilag001 View Post

So now that I installed the OTA update by mistake I can go and do a full restore and I will have fixed the issue?
Correct. backup your device in iTunes.... Click on the restore button..... restore from backup and you are all set.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Yes, you will be fine.
As long as the copy of ios 6.1 installed is done via itunes then you'll be fine.
Just plug it in and restore.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:06 PM   #15
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Now how about this:

iCloud backup, iTunes restore to 6.1, restore iCloud backup?
maccompatible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
vilag001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, you will be fine.
As long as the copy of ios 6.1 installed is done via itunes then you'll be fine.
Just plug it in and restore.
Sorry I'm a noob, I had already done the OTA. Will restoring pressing the restore button in iTunes make it jailbreakable?
vilag001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
Now how about this:

iCloud backup, iTunes restore to 6.1, restore icould backup?
Sure, not a problem.
The backup doesnt make a difference.
Main thing is your current 6.1 is installed with itunes and not OTA.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:09 PM   #18
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
Now how about this:

iCloud backup, iTunes restore to 6.1, restore iCloud backup?
I would have to imagine that would be just fine. At least, I hope it is...it's what I did (restoring from iCloud now).
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Sorry I'm a noob, I had already done the OTA. Will restoring pressing the restore button in iTunes make it jailbreakable?
Yes.
Both versions will be jailbreakable.
Just the OTA version installed wont be able to take advantage of saved blobs for future restores.
So just plug it in and restore using itunes.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:09 PM   #20
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sure, not a problem.
The backup doesnt make a difference.
Main thing is your current 6.1 is installed with itunes and not OTA.
Sweet. I like iCloud better than iTunes backups. Thanks a bunch. I was confused by twitter. This helped.
maccompatible is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:12 PM   #21
vilag001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes.
Both versions will be jailbreakable.
Just the OTA version installed wont be able to take advantage of saved blobs for future restores.
So just plug it in and restore using itunes.
Okay I see Thanks!!!!
vilag001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:58 PM   #22
toddant
macrumors newbie

I'm a bit confused. I have an iPhone 5 on 6.01. I just went into iTunes and hit the update on the top, it was next to the restore iPhone. It updated to 6.1 and kept all settings. Is this all I need to do? Hope I didn't make a mistake by doing so.
Thanks
toddant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:00 PM   #23
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddant View Post
I'm a bit confused. I have an iPhone 5 on 6.01. I just went into iTunes and hit the update on the top, it was next to the restore iPhone. It updated to 6.1 and kept all settings. Is this all I need to do? Hope I didn't make a mistake by doing so.
Thanks
You're fine, now just wait for the JB!

Don't fortget to save the SHSH
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:09 PM   #24
toddant
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post

Thank you!
toddant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:16 PM   #25
unknownx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post

So after updating to 6.1 via iTunes, How do i save SHSH ?
unknownx is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks