Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammacleod

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Is it best to have a full battery when doing a restore or does it make no difference?

Thanks in advance

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
As you need to do a restore via itunes and therefore being connected to usb it doesn't matter, don't do an OTA update

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You can do it before the restore or after.

Use TinyUmbrella or redsn0w, look around a bit, it's been posted dozens of times the last 2 hours

But you said in another thread it's a different file wheter you save the blob from the OTA update and the iTunes one.
Right?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
But you said in another thread it's a different file wheter you save the blob from the OTA update and the iTunes one.
Right?

correct the APticket is different as well as the RAM-disk type.

Won't effect the JB, but it will effect your abbility to restore or downgrade to 6.1 after 6.1.x comes out

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
So, Should I press Update or Restore ?

Or update 6.1, and then restore?'

Or just update 6.1?

Already saved SHSH (6.1)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
What does he mean by this? Can't I buy my iPhone 5 now in order to jailbreak it when it comes out?

Pimskeks of the Evad3rs Dev-Team reveals that those looking to apply the new iOS 6.1 jailbreak should update to the firmware using iTunes.

You WILL NOT QUALIFY for restores if you got to your current 6.x via an OTA update

•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
So, Should I press Update or Restore ?

Or update 6.1, and then restore?'

Or just update 6.1?

Already saved SHSH (6.1)

Update then restore.

No need to update then restore.

Clicking restore in iTunes will force you to update, so don't duplicate steps as it's a waste of time.

What does he mean by this? Can't I buy my iPhone 5 now in order to jailbreak it when it comes out?

As long as your iPhone 5 and 6.1 is still being signed by Apple - you can restore it to 6.1 (I would recommend this, even if you buy it new) and then jailbreak from there and you'll be fine.

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
You're fine, now just wait for the JB!

Don't fortget to save the SHSH

But how? I've been searching all afternoon and read several contradicting things--some say that an updated tool to save the blobs will be released with the JB, some say to use, Tiny Umbrella, some say to do it before/after--can anyone offer just a simple answer, I'm not lazy, I have been searching the forum, I'm just confused...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
But how? I've been searching all afternoon and read several contradicting things--some say that an updated tool to save the blobs will be released with the JB, some say to use, Tiny Umbrella, some say to do it before/after--can anyone offer just a simple answer, I'm not lazy, I have been searching the forum, I'm just confused...

There are multiple programs you can use, including redsn0w and Tiny Umbrella.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
When I tried to restore, I got a 3194 error. Is there an issue if I just update? Or should I manually restore with Shift+Restore (windows)?

Last edited:

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Why do we need to save the SHSH?

Does this apply to iPhone 5 users who don't have a jb?

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Why do we need to save the SHSH?

Does this apply to iPhone 5 users who don't have a jb?

You should always save your SHSH blobs no matter what device or firmware you update to.

Even though the blobs can't do anything right now, they might be useful later.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I did the OTA upgrade before I saw this thread and it won't let me restore back to 6.0.1 on my 4S so that I can then go back upgrade to 6.1 via iTunes then try to jailbreak again.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
You should always save your SHSH blobs no matter what device or firmware you update to.

Even though the blobs can't do anything right now, they might be useful later.

Even if I don't plan on updating after JBing? I've never saved SHSH blobs (in fact I don't even know how to) and have never had a problem.

Btw, I just updated through being plugged into iTunes, downloaded 6.1 through it and restored. When my phone rebooted the wifi was on (not sure if I left it on but I usually keep it off if I'm not using it). This wouldn't be OTA right? I would have to be unplugged for that and actually touch my phone. I just want to make sure cause I'm being paranoid right now. Everyone's taking so many safety precautions.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I did the OTA upgrade before I saw this thread and it won't let me restore back to 6.0.1 on my 4S so that I can then go back upgrade to 6.1 via iTunes then try to jailbreak again.

If you already did an OTA 6.1 update you can just go to itunes and click restore to go up to 6.1 again using itunes.
You dont have to go back to 6.0.1 at all.
You just gotta have your 6.1 ios installed by itunes that's all.

Moasson

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
In Yo Face
I have iP5 from Verizon and running iOS 6.0.2 and been waiting for jailbreak, could you please tell me if I should update to 6.1 or wait for jailbreak?

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Sorry this is getting confusing...I just hit update in iTunes and seleced my ipsw, and it updated. I never restored my data because it just updated. So does this mean I need to go in and do a full restore and then restore from backup? Or is using iTunes to update the same result no matter how you get there??

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
You just gotta have your 6.1 ios installed by itunes that's all.

Hey AJ, Thanks for the 2 threads you posted. Those for were very helpful. I'll have to gift you a justin bieber song some day for all your help. I know you are a fan... even if you claim your son is the real fan... or was it your 2 year old daughter? :p

Thanks again... just waiting for Sunday (or sooner).:)

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry this is getting confusing...I just hit update in iTunes and seleced my ipsw, and it updated. I never restored my data because it just updated. So does this mean I need to go in and do a full restore and then restore from backup? Or is using iTunes to update the same result no matter how you get there??
Just restore from backup and you're set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.