Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Pimskeks of the Evad3rs Dev-Team reveals that those looking to apply the new iOS 6.1 jailbreak should update to the firmware using iTunes.

"If you people plan to upgrade to iOS 6.1 please don't do an OTA upgrade. Please make a full restore using iTunes."

Just moments ago Planetbeing confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today and MuscleNerd hinted that the jailbreak will be released this Sunday.

So in other words to be safe and if you want to be able to rerestore your A5+ devices after the SHSH window is closed make sure you do a restore with itunes and then pull and save your 6.1 shsh blobs for that device.
As you remember before those with A5 devices with factory installed firmware or OTA installed firmware could not use their blobs to be able to rerestore to the same firmware version.

You WILL NOT QUALIFY for restores if you got to your current 6.x via an OTA update
•the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
•even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
•it’s okay if you previously got to 6.1 via an OTA update, as long as your current 6.1 was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your latest 6.1
So if you already did an OTA 6.1 update you can just go to itunes and click restore.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I'm still on 6.0. what's the best way to go about this? Itunes backup, itunes update, then itunes restore from backup?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Pimskeks of the Evad3rs Dev-Team reveals that those looking to apply the new iOS 6.1 jailbreak should update to the firmware using iTunes.

"If you people plan to upgrade to iOS 6.1 please don't do an OTA upgrade. Please make a full restore using iTunes."

Just moments ago Planetbeing confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today and MuscleNerd hinted that the jailbreak will be released this Sunday.

So in other words to be safe and if you want to be able to rerestore your A5+ devices after the SHSH window is closed make sure you do a restore with itunes and then pull and save your 6.1 shsh blobs for that device.
As you remember before those with A5 devices with factory installed firmware or OTA installed firmware could not use their blobs to be able to rerestore to the same firmware version.

You WILL NOT QUALIFY for restores if you got to your current 6.x via an OTA update
•the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
•even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
•it’s okay if you previously got to 6.1 via an OTA update, as long as your current 6.1 was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your latest 6.1
So if you already did an OTA 6.1 update you can just go to itunes and click restore.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I am on 6.0.2 and I got there via OTA it wouldn't matter what way I go to 6.1? The only reason to update via iTunes is for the ability to save shsh blobs to downgrade?

II BISTRO II

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
How do we pull and save shsh blobs? (Noob at this, haven't jailbroken since my original iphone in 2007 lol)

Iphone 5 on 6.0.2.. Can someone go through the steps?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I am on 6.0.2 and I got there via OTA it wouldn't matter what way I go to 6.1? The only reason to update via iTunes is for the ability to save shsh blobs to downgrade?

No just downgrade also to reinstall 6.1 jb should problems occur. Remember 6.1.1 will be released straight after this jb goes live.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I'm still on 6.0. what's the best way to go about this? Itunes backup, itunes update, then itunes restore from backup?

You can create a backup with itunes. Then plug in your iphone to itunes and hit restore. That will do a full restore and update it to the latest 6.1
Then you can restore from backup to get all your stuff back and be ready for the new jailbreak.
Same applies to those that already updated to 6.1 using an OTA update. Just plug it to itunes and do a restore and then you can sync your stuff back.

----------

It doesnt matter how you got to 6.0.2
Just when you get to 6.1 do it by using an itunes restore. This way if anything goes wrong your blobs would be usable.
You will still be able to JB with an OTA 6.1 install just your blobs would be useless and when the windows closes you wont be able to do a restore or rerestore. You'd just be stuck with going stock and losing your JB for good.

----------

How do we pull and save shsh blobs? (Noob at this, haven't jailbroken since my original iphone in 2007 lol)

Iphone 5 on 6.0.2.. Can someone go through the steps?

There should be an updated tinyumbrella version released before the JB.
And you can also use the latest redsnow version.

curitibagarrett

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Same applies to those that already updated to 6.1 using an OTA update. Just plug it to itunes and do a restore and then you can sync your stuff back.

There are two restore options right?

There is the restore iPhone or restore backup. I am pretty sure it is restore iPhone right?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
You can create a backup with itunes. Then plug in your iphone to itunes and hit restore. That will do a full restore and update it to the latest 6.1
Then you can restore from backup to get all your stuff back and be ready for the new jailbreak.

----------

It doesnt matter how you got to 6.0.2
Just when you get to 6.1 do it by using an itunes restore. This way if anything goes wrong your blobs would be usable.
You will still be able to JB with an OTA 6.1 install just your blobs would be useless and when the windows closes you wont be able to do a restore or rerestore. You'd just be stuck with going stock and losing your JB for good.

----------

There should be an updated tinyumbrella version released before the JB.
And you can also use the latest redsnow version.

So if I am coming from 6.0.2, all I need to do is update via iTunes? Or do I need to restore and set up from backup?

Thanks for all the help!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
So if I am coming from 6.0.2, all I need to do is update via iTunes? Or do I need to restore and set up from backup?

Thanks for all the help!

The important part is restore to 6.1 using itunes.
It doesnt matter after that if your restore from your backup or setup as new. That's up to you. it will work either way.
Just dont get to 6.1 using an OTA update through the device settings.

vilag001

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Well, ****.

Okay guys, I just want to be sure on this before I do anything.

So now that I installed the OTA update by mistake I can go and do a full restore and I will have fixed the issue?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

So now that I installed the OTA update by mistake I can go and do a full restore and I will have fixed the issue?

Correct. backup your device in iTunes.... Click on the restore button..... restore from backup and you are all set.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008

Yes, you will be fine.
As long as the copy of ios 6.1 installed is done via itunes then you'll be fine.
Just plug it in and restore.

vilag001

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Yes, you will be fine.
As long as the copy of ios 6.1 installed is done via itunes then you'll be fine.
Just plug it in and restore.

Sorry I'm a noob, I had already done the OTA. Will restoring pressing the restore button in iTunes make it jailbreakable?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry I'm a noob, I had already done the OTA. Will restoring pressing the restore button in iTunes make it jailbreakable?

Yes.
Both versions will be jailbreakable.
Just the OTA version installed wont be able to take advantage of saved blobs for future restores.
So just plug it in and restore using itunes.

toddant

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I'm a bit confused. I have an iPhone 5 on 6.01. I just went into iTunes and hit the update on the top, it was next to the restore iPhone. It updated to 6.1 and kept all settings. Is this all I need to do? Hope I didn't make a mistake by doing so.
Thanks

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I'm a bit confused. I have an iPhone 5 on 6.01. I just went into iTunes and hit the update on the top, it was next to the restore iPhone. It updated to 6.1 and kept all settings. Is this all I need to do? Hope I didn't make a mistake by doing so.
Thanks

You're fine, now just wait for the JB!

Don't fortget to save the SHSH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.