Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Tim Cook also said 'late next year' and unless he means Apple's FY, that's a way past Spring. I'm also of the opinion that they wouldn't just release something with fan guards because they've had a long time to do that. So, perhaps something went right with the manufacturing process this time and they can be early.

Actually, he said "later next year, not "late next year." At any rate that is all semantics, and it wouldn't be the first time Apple hedged a release time frame to manage expectations and then released earlier than expected for "bonus points." Apple needs a few of those right now, especially with the pro market that is becoming increasingly skeptical and bitter at Apple's neglect of them.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The definition of spring is ambiguous.

From the wikipedia page:
The specific definition of the exact timing of "spring" varies according to local climate, cultures and customs.

Although defining spring based on equinox to solstice is popular in the US, that's not the only way.
Again from wikipedia:
in most North Temperate Zone locations, spring months are March, April and May,

Exactly. For all we know they were told 'around May' and to hedge their bets are saying Spring because that's how they define the season

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's likely much more than just an EU compliance fix since, by all reports including from Apple themselves, they've been working on a new MacPro for quite awhile.

Perhaps since they first found out about this new law since it was apparently passed and published like three years ago. They likely sat down to figure out how they were going to adjust and decided a full revamp would be required and have been working in it ever since.

Given what a small cut of sales the Mac Pro is and how they cut 'what do the pros want' as a key design thought for hardware and software if they have a gap of a couple of months it's got likely to have much of an impact on profits etc so who is really worried about it

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
It is a credit to Apple/Tim that have kept their word (fingers crossed) and will update a product that makes up such a tiny percentage of their business model.

Ah...how times have changed. MP used to be a "lust item", now for most people ...it is a "dust item".

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
good news

Nice if it turns out to be true. I've never owned a MP, but I want these to continue. Naturally, if they make a smaller size that remains upgradable, I may choose this over a Mac Mini next year.

Regardless, I hope Apple doesn't shoot themselves in the foot again.

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Tim Cook also said 'late next year' and unless he means Apple's FY, that's a way past Spring. I'm also of the opinion that they wouldn't just release something with fan guards because they've had a long time to do that. So, perhaps something went right with the manufacturing process this time and they can be early.

Tim Cook didn't say "late next year", he said "later next year", and what he wrote was written in mid 2012. So that could mean late in 2013, or it could just mean "later than now... sometime next year".

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully with a new Thunderbolt Display with matte option (even if more expensive) to avid glare, reflections, headaches and sore eyes. It is a serious health and productivity issue!

Try moving your desk so you don't have light shining on it to reflect. Problem solved.

Apple is not likely to go back to matte having cut it for so long so the best you might get is the same reduced glare display from the iMacs and retina MBP.

So move that desk or start looking for a third party display

----------

How much will be the base model Mac Pro?

That info won't come until it is announced by Apple

Will it come with software bundles, such as "Final Cut trial version"?

Unlikely, not Apple's style.

----------

I know are using servers in render farms, and none of those I've heard of are running Mac OS X these days.

Even Pixar is using Linux/Unix based farms and they are as Apple friendly as it gets.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Who else is thinking huge aluminium obelisk with a single power button round the back and a lonely thunderbolt cable to link to a port hub / TB display? :p

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

Yes.

4. Massive delays in shipping due to "production" problems due to (1)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening

Hey Apple, THIS IS ME THROWING MY MONEY AT THE SCREEN. I want a new Mac Pro! I am willing to spend enough money on it that my friends call me insane for doing so. That's how much I freaking LOVE that machine.

Release the damn thing already! My 2006 Mac Pro is the BEST COMPUTER I HAVE EVER OWNED. I want to repeat this with a 2013 Mac Pro!!

Thank you. I hope.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
For people who can not read the Thunderbolt standard from Intel:

You need a IGPU for Thunderbolt pass though and Intel has made it clear if this is not done then thunderbolt will not be permitted on that system. Thus the new Mac Pro will not have Thunderbolt. Intel has expressed no willingness to change this.

I have a 2011 MacMini with an i7 2.7GHz and a discrete GPU AMD Radeon HD 6630M with Thunderbolt. No IGPU.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

2. non-upgradable parts

Sorry #2 just isn't happening. If you can upgrade the RAM in a 27" new iMac, then you will obviously be able to upgrade it in the Pro.

You'll be able to upgrade the video card because that is the whole point of a Pro desktop machine...upgradable slots. Plus Pro machines need additional slots for Audio or Video cards for Post Production. Those will exist.

What's more likely is the possibility of no optical drive.

Just think of the more modern SFF towers and that's what you'll be seeing..smaller, thinner but well designed to deal with the heat issues that those machines run into.

Yes.

4. Massive delays in shipping due to "production" problems due to (1)

Doubtful. Delays in the iMac were the screen yields. There are no screen yields for the MacPro.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
I have a MP with 3.33GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 24GB ram, 7TB storage, two optical drives incl BR. Geekbench speed is 15713. For me to buy a new one, it better have the ability to use all of my old stuff and be twice as fast.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

This is just grossly reading into the quote. They cleaned it up, yet people still keep clinging to the FUD. Later can be any time in the current year. Even if it shows up late in the year, that is still decoupled from the quote. If they wanted to be specific, they would have referenced quarter or season, not used language like later. Also if they were shipping late in the year, it would be Ivy. Earlier is Sandy. There isn't anything else in alignment with the machine available from intel.

I have a MP with 3.33GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 24GB ram, 7TB storage, two optical drives incl BR. Geekbench speed is 15713. For me to buy a new one, it better have the ability to use all of my old stuff and be twice as fast.

That is not going to happen unless you spend twice as much. You should pick up things like usb3, newer gpus, and possibly SATA III. There will not be a sub $4k machine that Geekbenches over 30k. Other oems have been shipping Sandy Bridge E machines for some time. You can look at their numbers for reference.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
I hope to god that the new model will be thinner and lighter...... and they get rid of that annoying optical drive. Something about the size of a Mac Mini would be about right....but 200% thinner and lighter even that that.........

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I hope to god that the new model will be thinner and lighter...... and they get rid of that annoying optical drive. Something about the size of a Mac Mini would be about right....but 200% thinner and lighter even that that.........

The size of a Mac Mini?? Why don't you just buy a Mac Mini then? Because you are not gonna fit a graphics card and 8-core in there.

Wow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.