Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Sprint is horrendous. There's so many people i Know that ran away from Sprint. Their 3G speeds are less than EDGE speeds on AT&T. The only Sprint customers that have good data speeds are the ones lucky to be on their LTE network and we all know it's miniscule compared to Verizon or AT&T.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Sprint is horrendous. There's so many people i Know that ran away from Sprint. Their 3G speeds are less than EDGE speeds on AT&T. The only Sprint customers that have good data speeds are the ones lucky to be on their LTE network and we all know it's miniscule compared to Verizon or AT&T.

That can be said for every service, it's a dependent on your area. I had multiple places where I got no AT&T service with my iPhone 4, now with Sprint I get great service and almost the same speed on 3G.

Success100

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
i used to work at sprint for 3 years. I watched the network slow to a cripple once the iphone was launched. the speeds are terrible. Even on Wimax. I used to get great service with sprint. But I switched because all of the same areas I used to frequent and get decent service, frankly, disappeared. New phones did not help. Nothing but issues the last few months there. Countless customers from all over the area complaining about slow data speeds.

Sprint better do something fast. I used to say the same thing "no company is better than the other" blah blah. But Switching to Verizon was the best thing I could have ever done.
it came at a premium but Its well worth the extra money to have service that actually...works. And well at that. Especially the data speeds, but of course YMMV

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Sprint better do something fast.

They are - it's extremely well documented on the internet. Sprint's "Network Vision" is taking place right now, they're adding new LTE markets every month and upgrading all of the 3G towers as they go.

2013 is the year of Sprint's comeback. So far, they haven't disappointed. The markets they've upgraded are seeing awesome speeds, and 3G speeds are matching those with 3G Verizon phones...perfectly acceptable. I can't wait until LTE comes to my area.. should be right around late '13. It will be the cheapest unlimited LTE available, and worth every cent.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
They are - it's extremely well documented on the internet. Sprint's "Network Vision" is taking place right now, they're adding new LTE markets every month and upgrading all of the 3G towers as they go.

2013 is the year of Sprint's comeback. So far, they haven't disappointed. The markets they've upgraded are seeing awesome speeds, and 3G speeds are matching those with 3G Verizon phones...perfectly acceptable. I can't wait until LTE comes to my area.. should be right around late '13. It will be the cheapest unlimited LTE available, and worth every cent.

End of 2013, LTE should be nationwide. Doesn't mean it'll be "good" LTE though.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I've seen results of 30Mbps+ down / 15Mbps+ up and that's not even on a 100% completed area. Well within the area of Verizon or AT&T. I guess Sprint is the cool thing to hate on these days, but you wait and see when it is completed it will be the only UNLIMITED LTE network with great speeds and coverage.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've seen results of 30Mbps+ down / 15Mbps+ up and that's not even on a 100% completed area. Well within the area of Verizon or AT&T. I guess Sprint is the cool thing to hate on these days, but you wait and see when it is completed it will be the only UNLIMITED LTE network with great speeds and coverage.
But for now, it's the unlimited data carrier with pathetic speeds. :)

I have unlimited data. Pointless if coverage sucks.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

Well, SO far so good :eek:.

We will have to see once it is fully rolled out, and saturated with a good amount of LTE phones. Given that it's a new network, I would hope the load of thousands of iPhones is designed into the specs :p

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I own you all.

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 110

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

NV is moving at a snail's pace throughout the US with constant delays.

Frankly, matching VZW EVDO speeds is pretty damn pathetic after all these years, especially when VZW has went on record to say they will be 100% LTE by the end of 2013.

----------

LTE will be nationwide for AT&T and VZW, not Sprint. They don't own enough spectrum in every market and they are constantly delaying the NV rollout. Look at the link. Sprint isn't even close to being nationwide.

Boston was supposed to be launched in October -> December, now it's being pushed back to June 2013. And it's the same in almost every area they've been deploying.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

These are the most ridiculous

1YcfG

NY will be done a year after it was supposed to be.

Central NJ hasn't even been touched. 9%. Should have been done by now...
1YclQ

----------

Looking at how well they're maintaining their 3G network, those speeds will only go down once the load increases. Since Sprint owns only 5x5 spectrum in most major markets, they will basically have 1/2 the speed of VZW/AT&T.

Here are AT&T LTE speeds in a high-traffic area with tons of devices being used in Boston. Better than peak Sprint LTE speeds. I have speeds pushing 60+ mbps down on my old S3. Sprint can't even get close.

1Yckc

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
NV is moving at a snail's pace throughout the US with constant delays.

Frankly, matching VZW EVDO speeds is pretty damn pathetic after all these years, especially when VZW has went on record to say they will be 100% LTE by the end of 2013.

----------

LTE will be nationwide for AT&T and VZW, not Sprint. They don't own enough spectrum in every market and they are constantly delaying the NV rollout. Look at the link. Sprint isn't even close to being nationwide.

Boston was supposed to be launched in October -> December, now it's being pushed back to June 2013. And it's the same in almost every area they've been deploying.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

These are the most ridiculous

NY will be done a year after it was supposed to be.

Central NJ hasn't even been touched. 9%. Should have been done by now...

----------

Looking at how well they're maintaining their 3G network, those speeds will only go down once the load increases. Since Sprint owns only 5x5 spectrum in most major markets, they will basically have 1/2 the speed of VZW/AT&T.

Here are AT&T LTE speeds in a high-traffic area with tons of devices being used in Boston. Better than peak Sprint LTE speeds. I have speeds pushing 60+ mbps down on my old S3. Sprint can't even get close.

Hurricane Sandy delayed a lot of Network Vision on the east coast, my fiance damn near lost her home in southern jersey.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
I live in Northern NJ and I've been a Sprint customer for about 4 years now. I'm due for an upgrade when the "5S" expected launch will be around September of this year.

There's 4 of us (my wife's parents and the two of us) on our plan, so we each end up paying around $110 a month ($220 for the account after all fees and taxes)... We have unlimited data and texting, 1500 shared minutes, free mobile to any carrier mobile and free nights and weekends. When all is said and done we use probably around 400 minutes per month to "landline" calls.

I looked into switching to AT&T and Verizon, both are considerably more expensive. So, you get what you pay for.

I formerly was a Verizon customer before I had smartphones and I enjoyed their service. But the cost of a non-smartphone on Verizon was the same price as a smartphone on Sprint, so I jumped at the chance to get with the 21st century.

I'm looking forward to LTE too. I have WiFi at work and at home. Home is through Verizon FIOS, and I usually pull around 40+ Mbps down and 25 Mbps upload. At work I'm using Clear 4G that we've all chipped in for and we usually pull around 2 Mbps down and around 750 kbps up. But, it's unlimited with Clear and considerably faster than Sprint. There's so many of us that use this at work at a mere $40 per person covers our entire account for 18 months. Not a bad tradeoff.

Now let me be clear: Even though the Sprint 3G data is the slowest of the major players, all of the applications I've ever tried to use - ALL OF THEM - including GPS, Safari, Apple Maps, etc have worked. The only "dead zone" I've found is at Jets Stadium.

As a Sprint stockholder for the last several years, I'm very pleased with the direction the company has taken and I believe that the deployment of LTE will really help their growth compared to the other big carriers.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Hurricane Sandy delayed a lot of Network Vision on the east coast, my fiance damn near lost her home in southern jersey.

That's not an excuse when AT&T and VZW have no issues getting their networks up and running after Sandy.

Hell, I was on the shore around Thanksgiving, and AT&T/VZW had COWs set up for network support. Sprint? Nothing. It didnt work and I hear that those areas are still not fixed.

And we had nearly zero damage in Boston, that excuse cant be applied up here

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
That's not an excuse when AT&T and VZW have no issues getting their networks up and running after Sandy.

Hell, I was on the shore around Thanksgiving, and AT&T/VZW had COWs set up for network support. Sprint? Nothing. It didnt work and I hear that those areas are still not fixed.

And we had nearly zero damage in Boston, that excuse cant be applied up here

You are absolutely right. It is not an excuse. Sprint will definitely need to speed things up. AT&T is fast compared to Verizon or Sprint in terms of LTE speeds but what good is the speed when there is no longer unlimited to use it. Sprint has unlimited data but unusable speeds right now on 3G. But LTE will be able to bring that to respectable speeds and with unlimited, it will be great.

Even though AT&T has more markets launched compared to Sprint, when looking at Sensorly.com, both of their user reported coverage is similar.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
You think thats bad?

Verizon - I have 0.11 MPBS Download and 0.15 Upload during non-peak hours mind you...This is on 3g on IP4.
Hopefully Verizon's superior to others LTE will help when I buy the IP5 for my wife and I. For full price since I want to stay grandfathered into unlimited data...

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
You think thats bad?

Verizon - I have 0.11 MPBS Download and 0.15 Upload during non-peak hours mind you...This is on 3g on IP4.
Hopefully Verizon's superior to others LTE will help when I buy the IP5 for my wife and I. For full price since I want to stay grandfathered into unlimited data...

Don't hold your breath... I came from Verizon because of poor 3G where I work. I had 4S and had similar speeds from what you are getting. I upgraded to iPhone 5 hoping LTE would be better but it wasn't. It was great everywhere outside of manhattan, NY but in manhattan, it was 1mbps download on LTE!!!! it was ridiculous. So I left not willing to pay high bills for poor service where I live and work. Gave up unlimited data from Verizon... GASP!!! :D

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
i used to work at sprint for 3 years. I watched the network slow to a cripple once the iphone was launched. the speeds are terrible. Even on Wimax. I used to get great service with sprint. But I switched because all of the same areas I used to frequent and get decent service, frankly, disappeared. New phones did not help. Nothing but issues the last few months there. Countless customers from all over the area complaining about slow data speeds.

Sprint better do something fast. I used to say the same thing "no company is better than the other" blah blah. But Switching to Verizon was the best thing I could have ever done.
it came at a premium but Its well worth the extra money to have service that actually...works. And well at that. Especially the data speeds, but of course YMMV

15 year customer and ex employee...Sprint network at least in the bay area started to fall apart after the success of the HTC evo in our area. I made the mistake of buying 4 iphones (4s) on Sprint....7 months later I left Sprint and moved to Verizon ...It was like having a sports car in 5pm traffic.

The LTE coverage here is getting better but if visit their buzzed about wireless site, some Sprint customer are still not very happy. Glad I left when I did. I pay $20 dollars more a month and so far Verizon has been awesome

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Why don't you just switch carriers? Why pay for a service when it obviously does no good to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.