Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I had the original iPhone on AT&T and couldn't stand the phone service.. calls were always dropped, etc. So when the 4S came out, I switched to Sprint, and while I haven't been thrilled with their 3G speeds I still think I'll probably stay with them when I upgrade in a few months because of the unlimited data. I just don't want to be having to keep track and worry about going over. I drive around playing SiriusXM through my phone so I know that would be a problem if I was on any of the limited data plans.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
and this is what they are trying to do to suck people in with Unlimited Data? Ha Ha

So far many people I know went to Sprint for unlimited data and went right back to AT&T and VZ

I'm under contract :/

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I'm under contract :/

You have to look at the cons verse pros, I was under 2 contracts with Verizon but their customer service was so bad, I pad the ETF's on 2 phones to move my wife and son to AT&T with me. It was a hefty thing to do and may not be for you, but if I am paying any money for service and unable to use my device, you could argue your point with them to let you out of their contract, I would talk to them and see. I would not stay just because your under contract if your service is that bad?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You think thats bad?

Verizon - I have 0.11 MPBS Download and 0.15 Upload during non-peak hours mind you...This is on 3g on IP4.
Hopefully Verizon's superior to others LTE will help when I buy the IP5 for my wife and I. For full price since I want to stay grandfathered into unlimited data...

Verizon's 3G does suck almost as bad as Sprint. But once you get an iPhone 5 you'll experience their LTE which is great and almost everywhere. You'll barely even see the 3G icon anymore.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I've seen results of 30Mbps+ down / 15Mbps+ up and that's not even on a 100% completed area. Well within the area of Verizon or AT&T. I guess Sprint is the cool thing to hate on these days, but you wait and see when it is completed it will be the only UNLIMITED LTE network with great speeds and coverage.

15 year ex Sprint customer and employee here
now with Verizon

As soon as LTE is up and running well enough Sprint will probably get rid of their unlimited data too

Sprint follows the big two but can't right now because they are already bleeding customers and unlimited is the only thing keeping the ship from going completely underwater. For me my unlimited data was unusable so I said forget it and sent back 4 iPhone 4S and walked away from Sprint after 15 years - 3 years of subpar service

Lastly remember Sprint towers MAY NOT have a lot LTE traffic right now like the big two - many of my friends and on the forum I moderate with Sprint services don't have LTE devices because they are in wait and see mode.

Sprint shouldn't be hated on - if they work for you that is awesome- they have good pricing

Last edited:

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Sprint really is pathetic. My GF had sprint for a little over a year. We both had 4's, but I was on ATT's network. We used to move from place to place, in a fairly common and big city (Albany) and every once in a while NYC when we decided to make the trip down. ATT hands down absolutely killed sprint every time. It wasn't even close. It got to a point where she wasn't even receiving phone calls or text messages.

Some of you say that Sprint has great speeds, however, its common knowledge that both ATT and Verizon have better speeds AND coverage. Sprint might be suitable for your specific location, but I don't really understand why you would go with Sprint over the two other major carriers, who are both quicker and more reliable. The price difference from when I made the transfer is small. I understand the unlimited data thing, but when speeds are so unreliable and frustrating, I would rather be capped. Plus, nowadays, at least here in NY, most major cable and phone companies are providing wifi throughout towns and cities. PLUS SPRINT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE WORST!

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Had Sprint one day than returned to Verizon for the bad download speed and voice issues. Nice that one can test it out in one's area first. That is what all should do, and not have to post on these forums saying Sprint is lousy, but many keep it and have to deal with the lousy strength of their signal or downloads for the entire contract period. Just test it out for a few days, not happy, drop it..Simple ;)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Sprint really is pathetic. My GF had sprint for a little over a year. We both had 4's, but I was on ATT's network. We used to move from place to place, in a fairly common and big city (Albany) and every once in a while NYC when we decided to make the trip down. ATT hands down absolutely killed sprint every time. It wasn't even close. It got to a point where she wasn't even receiving phone calls or text messages.

Some of you say that Sprint has great speeds, however, its common knowledge that both ATT and Verizon have better speeds AND coverage. Sprint might be suitable for your specific location, but I don't really understand why you would go with Sprint over the two other major carriers, who are both quicker and more reliable. The price difference from when I made the transfer is small. I understand the unlimited data thing, but when speeds are so unreliable and frustrating, I would rather be capped. Plus, nowadays, at least here in NY, most major cable and phone companies are providing wifi throughout towns and cities. PLUS SPRINT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE WORST!
People say that about every carrier...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
That's what I did. Bought a Nexus 4 and got T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan for 100 minutes, unlimited text and up to 5 GB of HSPA+. Lovin' it.

I did the same thing onli I cancelled my crappy Verizon account in January and my Crappy AT&T account in March and went straight to T-Mobile and got a Nexus 4. Never knew I could get 17-26Mbps downloads.

On AT&T all I could manage was 0.00 in the day and maybe 1.5Mbps at 3AM. It took me 10 minutes to download one song on AT&T through iTunes. On Verizon, I had no 3G at home and had enough after a year of that garbage.

Last edited:

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
T-mobile kicks Sprint's ass in DFW data speed and coverage wise to me. I'm just waiting until my ETF fee is low enough so that I don't care about paying it but I'm definitely leaving Sprint.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm in New York City in the East Village and I'm getting up to 2.05 Mbps in the middle of a building. When I first got my 4S I cursed the sky because data was completely unusable. But from my standpoint Sprint's 3G speeds have improved dramatically in NYC in the last couple months.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I'm in New York City in the East Village and I'm getting up to 2.05 Mbps in the middle of a building. When I first got my 4S I cursed the sky because data was completely unusable. But from my standpoint Sprint's 3G speeds have improved dramatically in NYC in the last couple months.

It's all due to network vision improvements. Haters will always bash Sprint even though their experience was light years ago. Some have never experienced it and speak out of hearing it from other people.

I have high hopes for the company but the upgrades are killing me. With towers down for upgrades, that is making my phone unusable. Just want the upgrades to be done and over with.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Im getting LTE just about everywhere in brooklyn now. Im fine with sprint.
Average speed is 18mb/s down 3 mb/s up

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
The way it looks right now, Sprint MIGHT have their initial LTE buildout completed by year end 2015. Maybe even their Network Vision joke will make the 3G network usable by that time as well.

Verizon pretty much crushes Sprint's network in every regard. People run over to Sprint trying to save a few bucks a year and end up sorely disappointed and/or frustrated with the poor service. The friends of mine who have Sprint have such poor data speeds that they often won't even update or download apps unless they're connected to Wifi, let alone try to watch a YouTube video. If we're out and about sometimes I turn on my hotspot just to give them usable data on their iPhones. Being on Sprint with an iPhone 5 is like buying a Ferrari and putting regular unleaded gas in it. What good is 500kbps of unlimited data to anyone?

Topic title is spot on. Absolutely pathetic.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
It's all due to network vision improvements. Haters will always bash Sprint even though their experience was light years ago. Some have never experienced it and speak out of hearing it from other people.

I have high hopes for the company but the upgrades are killing me. With towers down for upgrades, that is making my phone unusable. Just want the upgrades to be done and over with.

Suckers like you are the reason Sprint has been able to to stay in business and operate the way the do. Their lousy 3G coverage has always been blamed on their network vision improvements...THEY'VE BEEN UPGRADING THEIR 3G SERVICE FOR 3+ YEARS!!!!!! Wake up man and realize the Sprint is a joke! By the Time Sprint gets done launchint their LTE service the other 3 gig carriers will be working on the next gen of LTE...

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
Suckers like you are the reason Sprint has been able to to stay in business and operate the way the do. Their lousy 3G coverage has always been blamed on their network vision improvements...THEY'VE BEEN UPGRADING THEIR 3G SERVICE FOR 3+ YEARS!!!!!! Wake up man and realize the Sprint is a joke! By the Time Sprint gets done launchint their LTE service the other 3 gig carriers will be working on the next gen of LTE...

Omg, relax. First of all, Network Vision largely began in 2012, so how does that amount to 3+ years of broken promises? Sprint's 3G network was pretty much neglected in hopes that WiMAX would deliver, but it didn't, and now they're rebuilding their network from the ground up.

Also, Sprint and T-Mobile are in perfect position to upgrade to LTE-Advanced, their hardware supports it, unlike Verizon and AT&T.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Omg, relax. First of all, Network Vision largely began in 2012, so how does that amount to 3+ years of broken promises? Sprint's 3G network was pretty much neglected in hopes that WiMAX would deliver, but it didn't, and now they're rebuilding their network from the ground up.

Also, Sprint and T-Mobile are in perfect position to upgrade to LTE-Advanced, their hardware supports it, unlike Verizon and AT&T.

OMG? Really, how old are we...16?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.