Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I only sent my iPod Touch 5g through one battery cycle on 6.1 so far, but the battery got 11 hours compared to my average of 9.5...so that might be a slight improvement.

iPad battery I have seen no difference...haven't noticed any other differences really from my daily use of iOS.

How do you get 9 hours, or even 11, do you have Wi-Fi off or Notifications off? Or even the Bluetooth or Location off? My iPod touch has a lower average of about 7-8 hours (without it cutting off completely) and that was on beta 4 and 3 of iOS 6.1 as of the final I get a good usage of about 7hours and 40mins before I get the 20% warning.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:
Not sure if it's a bug, but I don't think this has ever happened to me before iOS 6.1

When I receive a message (iMsg or sms) notification as BANNER, I can pull down on it and the NC comes with it. The more I pull down, the more the message notification banner disappears... Was pulling down the notification done by purpose? (I'm not talking about pulling down NC of course..!)
It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.

it worked like this on at least 6.0, most likely 5.0. noticed it well before 6.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yes i remember when i tested the 6.0 betas and i noticed that.
The new look to the music and volume controls on the lock screen was not there prior to iOS 6.1. It's one of the bigger/more noticeable new features that was introduced in iOS 6.1, as pointed out pretty much everywhere.

maricc

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.

That's always happened.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
How do you get 9 hours, or even 11, do you have Wi-Fi off or Notifications off? Or even the Bluetooth or Location off? My iPod touch has a lower average of about 7-8 hours (without it cutting off completely) and that was on beta 4 and 3 of iOS 6.1 as of the final I get a good usage of about 7hours and 40mins before I get the 20% warning.

i'm guessing (and only guessing) that some of the high numbers cited by people include music player usage which counts as usage, but with the screen off is spec'd to go for 40 hours.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
The new look to the music and volume controls on the lock screen was not there prior to iOS 6.1. It's one of the bigger/more noticeable new features that was introduced in iOS 6.1, as pointed out pretty much everywhere.

Oh you were referring to the lockscreen. i though in the music app. because in the music app it did that since ios 6.0

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i'm guessing (and only guessing) that some of the high numbers cited by people include music player usage which counts as usage, but with the screen off is spec'd to go for 40 hours.
Which is one of at least a few reasons why these kind of usage (and even standby) comparisons are far from being even close to meaningful--in a generic/average type of sense, they might be useful, but not that much more beyond that.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else but when I plug my phone into my car receiver via USB, the iPod controls are now shown instead of the blank "device connected" screen or whatever it said. I have a JVC KD-X50BT aftermarket receiver. Now I can use both the receiver controls and iPod controls to switch through albums/artists/etc. I'm glad this was changed.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I see no compelling reason to upgrade. If previous updates are any indication, it'll probably break something. Think I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens with people who upgraded

Since iOS 4.x issues, I've always done the same thing. Wait. And hear what the verdict is for new updates. I don't update right away anymore. Most times, unless there are major improvements, critical bug/security fixes, or my collection of apps wanting to update (but requires latest iOS) goes into double digits, I'll wait 2 or 3 versions before updating. I do find downloading the latest update, and updating at a later time, causes less issues than downloading and updating at same time. No lags, no long hang ups, no crashes. And your not in queue with the other million or so users updating at the same time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I never trust battery usage time on my iPhone.

zydeny9a.jpg

It didn't indicate that I plugged it. Or I have the best battery life of any phone ever. I don't use my iPhone for music either.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I never trust battery usage time on my iPhone.

I don't even look at that anymore. I go by the percentage at the top. It gives me a better indication on how fast my battery drains with certain usage. You can predict, based on your own routines, how long your battery will last. And can adjust accordingly. For me, if I can plug it into a computer or wall socket when I'm not using it, I'll do that. Keep it always charged as much as possible. But even without plugging it in all day, I know from my own usage, by the time I get home and plug it in to charge (around 8pm), I usually get down to about 55% battery life. Which for me, would be about another 3 hours of moderate to heavy use, before really needing to recharge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.