Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
its really time to change the "slide to unlock button" design. make it less bulky and maybe silver...ish like the music controls. it looks so out of place

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Why is your airplay button orange? Are you listening to a podcast?

It appears to be orange on the lock screen when active, but blue everywhere else ... kind of an odd design choice. I was thinking maybe it was a different color depending on the device, but I tried the BT speaker here at my desk and the AppleTV over in the family room, and it's always orange.

You're totally right though, that screen shot I was listening to a Podcast, but it's the same color for Podcasts or the music player.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Finally. After 5 long months, push email in corporate exchange server environment now works with iPhone 5. 6.1 fixed it. Never worked from day 1.

Nor sure why Apple is so secretive about:

1. acknowledging the issue even existed;

2. Not issuing anything publicly about it in the release notes for 6.1 (final).

The only hint about this fix is in the notes for 6.1 beta 4.

This was a major corporate issue, and I'm not sure why they are not telling people it is fixed (or that there was a problem to begin with).

For more info, see this long thread in apple support:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4345374?start=315&tstart=0

and this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/01/early-ios-6-adopters-report-problems-getting-exchange-push-email/

I want to re-state this. For some reason Apple is all hush hush about this. This is an enormous fix and should be trumpeted. Why is this a secret buried only in the beta 4 release notes to 6.1?

dyck15

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
Two frustrating things I've found:

• Safari no longer allows background music from any site; soundcloud for example
  • Safari audio will mute when the mute switch is toggled to mute on

Is it just me?

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Two frustrating things I've found:

• Safari no longer allows background music from any site; soundcloud for example
  • Safari audio will mute when the mute switch is toggled to mute on

Is it just me?

Can't duplicate on iPad.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I want to re-state this. For some reason Apple is all hush hush about this. This is an enormous fix and should be trumpeted. Why is this a secret buried only in the beta 4 release notes to 6.1?

It always worked for my corporate account. Since beta 1 of iOS 6.1.... Strange.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I only sent my iPod Touch 5g through one battery cycle on 6.1 so far, but the battery got 11 hours compared to my average of 9.5...so that might be a slight improvement.

iPad battery I have seen no difference...haven't noticed any other differences really from my daily use of iOS.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Listen they took out background audio on the iPhone Safari at least...you cant leave Safari and play music from Safari anymore, UNLESS the only way now to do it is on the lock screen. You just turn the phone off, double tap home button and hit play

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Listen they took out background audio on the iPhone Safari at least...you cant leave Safari and play music from Safari anymore, UNLESS the only way now to do it is on the lock screen. You just turn the phone off, double tap home button and hit play

Yep, that's it.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
It doesnt show on the main screen until its activated once. At least on the 4s. Then its there always.

I guess it was a glitch as it is now gone from main screen and can be found in cellular settings, from where I can subscribe to modem option if I want .

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I am able to stream from safari in background on 6.1 on iphone 5. Does this work for you?

http://wmuk-apache.co.uk/widgets/muse/the2ndlaw/index.php?loc=uk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but on the lock screen, the glowing line between the music controls and the volume slider actually shifts based on the movement of the phone.

People have noticed this effect with the circular volume knobs 'shimmering' since iOS 6 was released, but with 6.1, Apple has implemented a similar effect with the glowing line subtly shifting left and right when you tilt the phone.

Neat.

Nice touch. :)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I am able to stream from safari in background on 6.1 on iphone 5. Does this work for you?

http://wmuk-apache.co.uk/widgets/muse/the2ndlaw/index.php?loc=uk

No it doesnt work that way? I thought it said in update notes that background audio is off?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

I just played a song in soundcloud, and hit my home button. It's still playing.

kasparsv

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
iPod out has also been updated

iPod out has also been improved with iOS 6.1. Now all iTunes match songs show up on my BMW dashboard, not only the ones which have been downloaded locally (as was the case of iOS 6.0 and below). Now I don't have to download the songs before I plug in the phone to my car :)

Also - I can use the iPhone interface to select songs/albums, choose next song, etc. Previously it was not possible - Music app displayed "Accessory connected" - but now it works! Also third party apps work better with iPod out - such as Ecoute music app.

Very happy with this update!

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Restore and setup as new device.

I restored it as new already. They checked it at the Apple store. I had gotten a new phone. Nothing. It is the notifications by Apple which are broken, it isn't just facebook. It is Ruzzle, email, text etc. The notification simply comes in without any sound. And everything is set correctly. I was told by the ppl at the Apple store that 6.1 would be fixing that silent notification bug. But it did not do it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Tested my wifi speed and it's wayyyyy faster that ever before (20megs down when I'm only paying for 15). I know it's too early to be certain, but i actually watched a 30 minutes youtube video without a single pause. Really hoping not a freak coincidence.

Edit
20 minutes later and can confirm just a freak coincidence.
That's just crappy YouTube servers. It does the same thing on 50Mbps LTE too. Blazes through a stream download and then stalls half way. Really Google!? I expect better than that.

Also, I can play audio in the background from Safari too on my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.