Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
I don't see any problem with their line of reasoning. I think you are being dumb in your reasoning. The first iPhone was sold very quickly to early adopters. Apple, having pretty much no experience in the cell phone world, has been learning as they go, plus they had to rely on other chips makers in making cell phone chips. But they constantly improve up their design, year after year. Sure, they don't progress as fast in certain areas, but let's look at the Nexus 4 and SIII, those both have terrible cameras, terrible battery life, buggy OS. the iPhone 5 is a vast improvement over the very first iPhone and I'm sure Apple is working on potentially several sized versions for this year's models. I think they will come out with larger screen models as demand for iPhones increases, they have to see what kind of demand there is for various screen sizes. Since the 4.5in and larger screen sizes are gaining ground, Apple can justify putting out a larger screen size, but a year ago the larger screen phones weren't selling well. The 3 III was the first large screen size phone that sold well. The S2 didn't sell that well and neither did the first S model.

The cell phone industry has gone through changes largely due to the different technology in networks that are being deployed, it's a nightmare to keep on top of it, and everyone is relying on only a couple of chip mfg for decent voice/data chip sets.

Now with these Google Glass, there are going to piss off a lot of people because people, on average, do NOT want someone with a video camera facing them while they are in a discussion. I certainly don't. I don't want some a##wipe immature brat with a set of these things video taping and posting on YouTube videos of me.

I think Google is going to be in for a little shock when they find out that they will be banned in a lot of places. There are privacy attorneys that are trying to figure out a way to prevent these things from being used.

The OP was criticizing Google Glass for being an immature technology and I claimed that the original iPhone was immature as well. I was making a comparison ...and you apparently agree with it based on your first paragraph above. So exactly why is my post "dumb" given your alignment with what I was saying?

Also, regarding the privacy issues... you may be right that people will feel uncomfortable talking to others that are wearing the Google Glass. But remember that any " a##wipe immature brat" can record you today as well with current smartphone technology, without your consent or knowledge. At least with the Google Glass, it's apparent that you are recording (a light appears on the Glass device so others know it's recording). This is mentioned in the Verge's article.

The iPhone on the other hand has no indication that it's recording a video; unless you're looking at the iPhone's screen, you wouldn't know a video is being captured.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I too can think of about 10 things off the top of my head that would be revolutionary- basically anything where a heads up display could be helpful.

pilots could wear these on landings in inclement weather
tourists could wear these with a magnification function for sightseeing outdoors
these could serve as head up display tour guides in a museum with additional info instead of just headphones
bird watchers could zoom in on birds
better view of stars at night and the moon
mechanics could access technical specs, electrical diagrams and plans while fixing stuff
night vision infrared for better visibility driving cars in poor weather or at night
bicyclists would have MPH info and marathoners would have time and rate of speed info times continually
baseball players could have info immediately identifying the type of pitch being thrown
downhill skiers could have route maps displayed without having to stop and look at a map
tourists could have text translation for words they see
kids could have words displayed for items they look at to help them learn to read
etc etc..

Of course the price is ridiculous. Every single technology product that ever came to market was overpriced at first. Of course the price will come down. I don't see how that is even a criticism. Were HDTV's cheap when they came out? Or SSDs? Or Retina displays? How much did Maya software cost when it first came out? Does that mean these things are a bad idea just because they start expensive?

Too bad these glasses don't have an Apple logo on them and be called something that starts with an "i". Then all you guys on this site would be gushing about how Apple is just so way far ahead of the curve and is pushing innovation (see any thread about thunderbolt or the lack of an internal super drives in iMacs for example.)

Eventually someone on here would inevitably bring up the obligatory "do you still use floppy disks too?"

I think they're great. There is no way to get around the high price. Except for time. I think computers won't be big boxes in the future. It will be something that stays on our physical body or something we wear.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
First two Apps - Fart and Watchout for that Car

First two killer apps will be the - Fart in your Eyes app and an app that use Geolocation to warn these douchebags to pay attention when crossing the street.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The OP was criticizing Google Glass for being an immature technology and I claimed that the original iPhone was immature as well. I was making a comparison ...and you apparently agree with it based on your first paragraph above. So exactly why is my post "dumb" given your alignment with what I was saying?

Also, regarding the privacy issues... you may be right that people will feel uncomfortable talking to others that are wearing the Google Glass. But remember that any " a##wipe immature brat" can record you today as well with current smartphone technology, without your consent or knowledge. At least with the Google Glass, it's apparent that you are recording (a light appears on the Glass device so others know it's recording). This is mentioned in the Verge's article.

The iPhone on the other hand has no indication that it's recording a video; unless you're looking at the iPhone's screen, you wouldn't know a video is being captured.

Slightly off.

Imagine someone is standing near you (say arm's length). It's pretty obvious if they have a rectangular box in their hands that also happens to have a camera lens on the side facing you. Google Glass? People can be much more discrete since a) coming from Android's level of customization, I bet there is some way to turn off the record light and b) it's their glasses. It's not something they have to hold up and make obvious to world that they are recording. There is also no viewfinder. It's just that little glass screen that is basically only visible to the wearer.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
These seem awesome but the price is way high. Id be in for under $500.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I too can think of about 10 things off the top of my head that would be revolutionary- basically anything where a heads up display could be helpful.

pilots could wear these on landings in inclement weather
tourists could wear these with a magnification function for sightseeing outdoors
these could serve as head up display tour guides in a museum with additional info instead of just headphones
bird watchers could zoom in on birds
better view of stars at night and the moon
mechanics could access technical specs, electrical diagrams and plans while fixing stuff
night vision infrared for better visibility driving cars in poor weather or at night
bicyclists would have MPH info and marathoners would have time and rate of speed info times continually
baseball players could have info immediately identifying the type of pitch being thrown
downhill skiers could have route maps displayed without having to stop and look at a map
tourists could have text translation for words they see
kids could have words displayed for items they look at to help them learn to read
etc etc..
good list so far..

thing is, i think at least 5 of those items require a better system of displaying the info.. for instance, the pilots scenario would require the info/graphics/etc to be over-layed onto what they're seeing in real time.. (i.e.- foggy/cloudy.. pilot visibility at 0.. the glasses superimpose an outline of the runway)

as is now, it's not much different than looking at a tv screen which is hung on the top-right of a wall..

it would be nice(r) if they could get it so you don't have to look away from what's in front of you in order to see the info..

gen3 maybe? :)

[edit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuEsT6KD9Y

Last edited:

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
This is obviously an early iteration of this product line. In 5-10 years, once the technology has matured, this will replace products like cell phones and beyond.

Early versions will be poor. But this is the future.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I don't find that this kind of product is comparable to a smartphone or iPod. Both those products greatly improved user experience. For example, the iPod increased the amount of music you could have with you and eliminated the need to carry a cd book with you in order to listen to music as well as the need to swap between discs. Not to mention, the original iPod was not that great, it took multiple years for the iPod to truly do what it originally set out to do. The GGlass does not eliminate anything outside of freeing up a hand. It simply adds another way of doing things you can already do with extreme ease on a phone. Plus it has no way around, or at least has shown no way around people who wear glasses or have other vision problems. Perhaps 10 years from now this could be a realistic product for the masses, but as it currently sits it is unrealistic and really not needed.

As a wearer of glasses, I was wondering whether Google Glass will work with them, but I imagine that issue will be addressed eventually. But as for if and when this will become a must-have product, I still contend that we need to wait and see. I immediately saw the value of the iPod when it came out, although I waited for the third generation (which had a hard drive big enough to hold my entire music collection) before I bought one. I was underwhelmed by the iPhone when it came out, considering it overpriced for what it did. I was fine with my base-model Nokia cell phone and Palm PDA. It was only when the App Store came out that the iPhone became worth it for me, and I bought the 3G as my first iPhone. When the iPad came out, I thought that it was an expensive toy that did nothing my MBP didn't do. It was only after a year of people assuring me that I had to use the iPad to appreciate it that I broke down and bought a discounted iPad 1 after the iPad 2 was released. Now, I can't imagine life without my iPad and iPhone, and those devices have replaced my iPod.

My point is that, when the iPhone and iPad came out, I wasn't in the group of haters who thought they were ridiculous products and that they would fail, but I did consider them somewhat frivolous and expensive, and I didn't see that they could do anything I couldn't do with devices I already had. Of course, the iPhone quickly evolved into something much more powerful than what it was when it was first released. The iPad, however, truly was something I had to use to appreciate. True, it doesn't do anything my MBP can't do – but it does certain things much more elegantly and conveniently. I use it a lot more than I use my MBP, mainly for web browsing, email, reading ebooks, and using productivity and entertainment apps. That's where I see the potential for the Google Glass: doing certain things more elegantly and conveniently than can be done with existing devices, and then evolving with features such as augmented reality. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

On the other hand, I don't see the appeal of the Google Chromebook Pixel. Like many others, I think that it has some great hardware specs, but it has limited functionality and not enough SSD storage, and the price is way too high. Nor do I see how it might evolve into something that justifies its price, especially when there are products out there like the MBA and rMBP.

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
This is the future of the things we used to call computers. Ok maybe not these glasses, but wearable tech will be the future. We will not walk around holding phones for much longer. In twenty years time you'll be able to tell your kids about how you remember seeing the birth of wearable tech.

Completely agree.

These early versions will suck, just like early smartphones sucked. But the concept is there. If you can't see the potential then your either lacking in imagination or too stubborn to be helped.

Once Google (or any company) glasses can be embedded into a standard pair of glasses more or less invisibly then the technology will be ready.

Slackula

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
Could be, but my main concern is that they basically say STEAL ME! regardless of what they look like.

People get their phones stolen when they're walking down the street talking on them. So, to avoid that, you keep it in your pocket so thieves don't even know you have it.

People with white earbuds have been getting mugged a lot too, because white earbuds = Apple usually, and those devices are high in demand. So you shouldn't walk around in public with highly visible white earbuds.

The Google Glass just sits there on your head. Right there where everybody can see it, especially the people that want to take it so they can sell it for big bucks on craigslist.

Yeah, but they'll probably have an app to help with that. Something like "Find My Overpriced Internet-Surfing Goggles that Fit on the Bridge of My Nose".

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
I will not take kindly to some jackass looking at me while they're wearing these.

They will be completely unsuitable for many uses, and likely ruled out for many more.

At least with a phone I can see people take them out and use them. With these, it's a whole different ballgame, one I'm not willing to play nice with.

I don't think anyone really gives a toss wether you are willing to play nice with Glass. Reality is, if you are in a public place, you are legally allowed to be photographed by whoever wants to take your picture. In fact, I can take pictures of you on your front lawn all day from the sidewalk & you can't do a thing about it. Them's the breaks.

NC12309

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Man I love this web site. I've been to many places, but you people are the biggest homers ever.

I can only imagine the reactions you people would have if Apple came out with this first.

I bet most people here would buy the stupid iWatch over this just because Apple makes the watch.

Thank God there's actually people in this world who support Google and Android or we would would be living in a wall garden world that never gets updated.

Last edited:

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Man I love this web site. I've been to many places, but you people are the biggest homers ever.

I can only imagine the reactions you people would have if Apple came out with this first.

I bet most people here would buy the stupid iWatch over this just because Apple makes the watch.

Thank God there's actually people in this world who support Google and Android or we would would be living in a wall garden world that never gets updated.
Yep, I am not surprised, anything that Google ever releases will be hated on here critically. Anything made by Microsoft, Samsung or any other tech company that's not Apple will be greeted with lukewarm reception.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

not quite sure that's fair to say..
(of course it's fair.. i just mean we see this behavior in a far wider range than just apple fans..)

ford vs chevy... pepsi vs coke being some of the more classic examples..

but yeah.. pledging allegiance to specific corporations = society failure..

and i'm now thinking it's worse than people vehemently choosing a political party to root for..

it's ridiculous and often has people simply shouting the mantras of these false idols instead of doing their own critical thinking.. i don't necessarily think i'd use the term 'brainwashed' to describe.. more like brain_laziness or something

anyway.. it will be nice when one of these devices come out which will actually enhance our intelligence and/or let us borrow some of the logic skills which a computer has to offer.. maybe assists us in seeing some of these pitfalls..

but hey, that will never happen :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Really? Were those ever really created and not just a movie prop. Come on think before you hate on something.

Plus that would be more comparable to the bionic eye that's been FDA approved recently than it would Google Glass. It even works on a similar principal, with the connection point to attach an exterior camera implanted into your temple.

----------

Apple makes augmented reality apps?

I don't think Apple does specifically, but there are a few apps that do a few cool augmented reality things.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I think they're only hope of selling any is to
a. Sell them to Popular Science.
b. Rename it as a "Scouter", giving it a power level meter.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Ahh I hope this does not end up on a shelf somewhere like this:

Google finally lists Nexus Q as not for sale on Google Play

GoogleNexusQ_35339164_04_620x433.jpg

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Really? Were those ever really created and not just a movie prop. Come on think before you hate on something.

not sure if you've ever actually designed something but generally, you'll play with it in your head for a while.. then you'll rough sketch it, then add some details, get it into a tangible and or somewhat realistic concept.... all the while, you don't even know if the thing can work..

these glasses.. many of these things apple is selling.. etc.. these ideas are larger than any one company.. they've been accumulating over long periods of times and in most cases, longer than the corporations themselves have even existed..

movies/props are infact viable testing grounds for a future technology.. because you can use the designs -as they are designed to do or what the idea is about... while in the phase of progress when they don't have to actually work..

but come on.. give humanity/society some credit.. we're arguably failing in many ways but with technology, we're all more or less working as one..

point is.. of course they were a movie prop once..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.