Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
If the price is closer to the original iPhone or less...

I'd buy these if the price gets closer to that of the original iPhone, or less of course. But I'm not going to spend over $800 on something that has LESS functionality than the original iPhone.

It would also be nice to get more tech specs soon, unless I missed them, but I want to know the resolution of the display, and the details of the camera. I read something about being able to attach glass to my actual glasses instead of using the frame thing it comes on, if that is true it would be awesome. I don't want to have to do the same thing I do when I go see a 3D film and wear 3D glasses on top of my normal glasses, it's rather uncomfortable. Also, if that is possible, will it be easy to move it from one frame to another? I use a pair of prescription sunglasses while driving sometimes. I also wonder how opaque/transparent the display will be, and how many lumens it will have. Will I be able to see it if the sun is in my face?

If I am unable to easily move it from one pair of glasses to another, I would probably end up buying two eventually, or save the old one when I upgrade. If that is the case, will they both have access to the same content I have recorded? Is it all stored on my iPhone, or is it somehow stored on GLASS itself? I don't really think there would be a sufficient amount of storage space on GLASS to store much video if that's the case. I also don't want to have to program them both, so if it has something similar to iCloud sync, that would be nice, so I could sync all of my settings between them.

On a side note, for those complaining that Siri doesn't do everything in the Apple commercials, you are very wrong. I haven't seen Siri do something in the commercials that it hasn't been able to do for me. Perhaps you just need to speak clearer when you give commands. You have to annunciate to communicate!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's funny, seems like this sort of hardware has so much potential but their demo barely shows it doing much of anything. No real enhanced reality stuff at all. Going outside at night and having it overlay the constellations and point out planets? Recognizing a piece of art in a museum and popping up bio of the artist? Identifying products (bar code scanning, or even recognition of objects) and bringing up reviews or price comparison? I guess they don't want to over promise things that they don't have working yet, but this just seems really underwhelming.

No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

I'm surprised a particular use hasn't been mentioned. With something like this it would be great if it had a video record buffer running all the time. Most of the time it just gets tossed out, but when that meteor hits, the video has been captured and you just tell it to keep what's in the buffer. Of course that's also really creepy in a "person of interest" sort of way, but there would be advantages to it.

I will not take kindly to some jackass looking at me while they're wearing these.

They will be completely unsuitable for many uses, and likely ruled out for many more.

At least with a phone I can see people take them out and use them. With these, it's a whole different ballgame, one I'm not willing to play nice with.

Good point, when encountering someone wearing these, it's hard not to feel like you're dealing with someone standing there pointing a video camera at you. Definitely a privacy can of worms, I can see people getting into arguments and insisting people take these off.

Unemployed Hobo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Also the 'screen' sits within the clear plastic cube on a ~45 degree angle, so finding the perfect position for viewing was not easy. Your eyes began to be strained by constantly looking to the upper right corner; it would seem more natural to have the display directly in front of your eyes so you wouldn't get fatigued. There was only one connector on the pair (USB port). I can't imagine anyone paying over $100 for these; $1500 is a complete joke.

I understand that many (or most) of you think I am a newb who is full of ****, but I would ask you to withhold judgement until you have a chance of sampling these yourselves.

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
This could have some amazing applications in medicine.

In the middle of a surgery and need a consult? Boom, just say a sentence, and a physician sitting in his office across the country is seeing exactly what you're seeing as if he were in there in the OR with you.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Odd

This is the future of the things we used to call computers. Ok maybe not these glasses, but wearable tech will be the future. We will not walk around holding phones for much longer. In twenty years time you'll be able to tell your kids about how you remember seeing the birth of wearable tech.

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Too expensive

I don't see what is driving the $1500 price tag on these. It's a pair of glasses with a tiny TV, tiny camera, bluetooth and GPS. We're all carrying little computers in our pockets already, I guess they're doing processing/storage in the glasses? Why wouldn't they offload that to apps on a phone/tablet? This could be a great accessory. I don't see it succeeding as a major (and expensive) standalone product.

Cool idea... but I think they missed the mark on implementation. However, not having seen or played with one yet, I could be wrong and maybe there's a good reason for it. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the real world.

breising

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
This might be a big security/lurker risk..

You think they freak out when you bring a memory stick into work... or your cellphone with a camera? Watch what happens with GGlass! Wow! I can't wait! Everyone will have to remove their glasses to do anything!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This is something I would try, but the ridiculous price and overall market for this isn't great, I don't think. Especially when you bring in how common it is for people to break their glasses, if it's $1,500 new, I'm sure repairs and replacement costs will be through the roof. This is a good attempt at a futuristic product, I just don't think it will find a big enough group of supporters in order to keep it around for long. It does everything your phone already does for the most part, only voice controlled and with a little extra ease of use. I think a lot of people will laugh at the product, regardless of the price attached.

This could have some amazing applications in medicine.

In the middle of a surgery and need a consult? Boom, just say a sentence, and a physician sitting in his office across the country is seeing exactly what you're seeing as if he were in there in the OR with you.

This may be Google's best bet with a product like this. Refining it for certain professional fields instead of as a general consumer product. I think it would prove much more useful and successful if marketed that way.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

Oh, the bitterness. Nokia had the very same thing in 2006 in case you have not been paying attention. And it was a flop. Just like Google's Pixel Laptop and Glasses project. DOA.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
I get the feeling that people slamming the product haven't actually read the Verge article. Joshua Topolsky of the The Verge was very skeptical and had many of the same questions posed here... before he actually tried it. You actually get the feeling that he already decided the glass was stupid from the get-go. But he left convinced that this thing rocks. That's saying something.

Renzatic

Suspended
Oh, the bitterness. Nokia had the very same thing in 2006 in case you have not been paying attention. And it was a flop. Just like Google's Pixel Laptop and Glasses project. DOA.

Because as we're all aware here, if a product failed in the past, a different implementation of the same idea has a 100% chance of failing later.

It happened with Apple and the Newton. They sold, like, what? 5 of those? So of course they're gonna be idiots and do it all over again with the iPad. I guess some people refuse to learn from past mistakes.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
I'm surprised a particular use hasn't been mentioned. With something like this it would be great if it had a video record buffer running all the time. Most of the time it just gets tossed out, but when that meteor hits, the video has been captured and you just tell it to keep what's in the buffer. Of course that's also really creepy in a "person of interest" sort of way, but there would be advantages to it.

this is looxcie's main claim to fame. always-on recording, press a button when something interesting happens, and a clip is extracted from the buffer.

looxcie probably has a patent on that, not sure. at any rate they are in trouble now that google has joined the game in earnest.

the bluetooth for video thing is bad news. it's fine for control traffic but it is not anywhere near fast enough to stream video. hopefully google uses the wifi to carry the heavy data.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Apple will have this in a much lighter form as a Bluetooth add-on.

Along with the watch. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, and kiss any last vestige of privacy goodbye. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm pretty sure of the following

1) the design is not finalized
2) the price is not set in stone for wide release at 1500
3) I don't think Google thinks for a second that the adoption rate for these will be widespread unless #2 is a very low price point.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

I think posts like this need to stop. They simply come off as mindless parroting of Samsung's latest guerrilla marketing techniques.

Google is a company that doesn't keep anything secret in the lab. They beta test and open source everything in the public eye. Just because someone has crated a prototype/test product and is marketing the hell out of it doesn't mean they have shipped and are the only one innovating.

Apple makes a product in their labs and only releases and talks about it when it's ready for mass consumption. They're also less public about their transitionary prototypes (the kind of stuff they make in the lab, but conclude isn't ready for the masses). Paper-launching things to a youtube video doesn't equal innovation.

Innovation is creating a consumer product that is actually readily sold and available to people, and it makes their lives better and easier in some ways. I DON'T want to be anyones guinea-pig or beta tester.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.