Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Again, I never said people are going to go out and buy a 1 pixel contact lens.

Neither did I, nor did I claim that you said as much.

I never even said it would be viable in the next 10 years. I said "distant future" (20+ years?).

My point exactly, it's so far away that by the time "dinky looking glasses" have advanced to mere contact lenses, there could be any number of advanced technologies that are better than placing lenses on your eye.

That's why I said it's quite a stretch to hail Google glasses as the forerunner to a theoretical product.

You on the other hand explicitly said that there will "never" be a market for it.

Funny that you should quote "never" even though I didn't even use the word.

Of course a direct interface with the mind will eventually happen. The contact lens will probably logically come first though.

There is no logical connection as they are independent fields of research.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This looks ok..

....right up until the point i read it uses Bluetooth or tethered to you iPhone, and connect over Wi-Fi on order to successfully use this thing.

Theres goes your data :)

As if people don't already have huge bill they over-see after they roam internationally, this will only add further to this, because the mind set is "This is soo cool"

This will be changed to "this soo sux" when they get their bill from their carrier

This reminds me of picture-in-picture...... that didn't really find it in todays TV's

How is this any different? to the fact that "The only reason why keeping this alive is people are demanding its just "cool factor"

And this, just only we have a piece of existing technology, but now its part of something, like glass, we never had before, suddenly makes it "I want one".

Not interested. but it looks good..

Another thing, this will only further go via the privacy thing..

Vervious

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
San Jose
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

Same could be said of a smartphone. All it does is perform basic mobile functions. You have to click/tap at it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public. You have to carry around a brick. They were pretty expensive.

Pretty sure that the price will go down, and... well, Glasses are literally omnipresent smartphones you can access without having to pull them out of a pocket. Big appeal if you ask me.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
For tech that's so far away from being feasible, you seem way too invested in this being "the future".

just chiming in..
"this" doesn't necessarily have to be interpreted as meaning these exact glasses..
but these glasses can be viewed as a turning point because they're the first things we're seeing on a potentially viable and large scale which attach a modern computer to our bodies.. the bond grows tighter.. however you want to call it.. .it's possible however that these years will come to represent a stepping stone in which we brought the computers inside our bodies..

apple could have shown their wrist deal a few days ago instead of only leaking rumors about it then they would be the first to have shown us an actual product of this nature.. but that doesn't matter.. thats a money game and we're talking about a technology game.. in twenty years, no one is going to care or remember if apple showed their wrist first or google showed their glasses..

but from a broader outlook.. the glasses and watch are much the same in that what they're representing.

and i have no real doubts that in the future ( i'm talking future as in many people reading this will still be alive) that all of the wiz tech we're seeing on the planet today will be viewed as archaic

you're right.. who knows how it's really going to pan out.. are the computers even visible? do we don an entire computer suit?. etc. it could go a million of ways.. but it's still going that way..

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
At last. I'll be like this guy.

Dragon-Ball-Z-power-level-scouter.jpg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
A Bluetooth-eabled device makes sense.... you can "see" there's a headset, therefore people can only assume, theres also a microphone too.

However, in this serario, with Glass, if looks like your talking to thin air... (plus you'd look like the mission impossible guy hoisting down)

Not only that but i'd be worried when i walk past a guy, i don't even know, and call *him* a bastard, even though, the footy game just lost.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

What a laugh. You people swoon at the sight of a grubby glass staircase in an apple store.
If apple had come up with this, you'd be having spastic orgasms about the innovative brilliance of apple.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I can see some major accidents occurring with this device. Your peripheral vision is effectively shot when focussing on an object an inch from your eye. It is theoretically safer to use your smart phone while holding it on your steering wheel while driving. At least your peripheral vision of oncoming object is not as obscured.

We'll see.

I'm a million years late to this conversation but what he said!

If these get adopted, it will be the worst thing for road safety since internal combustion.

You already can't text and drive, or need to be hands free to drive in many states. Now we're talking about putting the screen an inch from someone's eye, with no idea if this person is not using the devise, looking at directions, texting, watching a video or playing a video game? Really, really bad idea. At least until we have self-driving google cars to go with them.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
So basically you are paying $1500 to help Google improve their mapping and advertising? They no longer need mapping cars. Think of all the people walking around with these on and google is retaining everything these glasses see.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So basically you are paying $1500 to help Google improve their mapping and advertising? They no longer need mapping cars. Think of all the people walking around with these on and google is retaining everything these glasses see.

What are they retaining?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Screens hovering in front of our faces as we passively cruise down the road in self-driving cars?

Reminds me of a movie I saw once.

WALL-E-humans_320.jpg

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
This is a must buy and my first google product as I am big apple user however i wish you can answer calls coming from your smart phone while driving on googles glass.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Screens hovering in front of our faces as we passively cruise down the road in self-driving cars?

Reminds me of a movie I saw once.

Yeah - I remember that movie too. The scenario also describes taking a ride in a lot of theme parks.

Screens and robotic cars don't worry me as much as people getting so reliant on social networking/internet/etc that it completely replaces real life human interaction - like in Asimov's Naked Sun.

Estrates

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Now this is very innovative, to be able to be hands free and not have to stop and focus on your phone when your in situations like shown in the video is very innovative.

I think over time the glasses will get smaller and more efficient in placement over the eye.

I got rid of my wristwatch cause I had a phone, why Apple is (rumored) creating an iWatch is beyond me that's backward thinking and I aint up for that.

Im an apple lover but they seem to have lost that edge (maybe they have something else up their sleeve) like an actual apple HDTV Ive been waiting for patiently.

Google has an upper hand here the iPhone, iPad etc are eventually gonna bore us. These glasses will surely create some excitement once in the public.

Little too costly for me but will keeping an eye on for price drops

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Yeah - I remember that movie too. The scenario also describes taking a ride in a lot of theme parks.

Screens and robotic cars don't worry me as much as people getting so reliant on social networking/internet/etc that it completely replaces real life human interaction - like in Asimov's Naked Sun.

I don't think it completely replaces it within our lifetimes.

But if we get obese enough, maybe it won't be a bad thing.

People nowadays think a smart watch or glasses are a great idea because they're too lazy to pull a phone out of their pockets. It's a slippery slope, who knows where it leads to, but I see a race of lazy slobs addicted to their screens, sucking down junk food, and wishing they were somewhere else, where they would also proceed to lazily glue themselves to a screen and eat junk.

We're already half way there.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Either way, I'm curious to see the evolution of Google Glass.

This is why I think Glass is going to be really awesome. This iteration is bulky and in your face but hopefully they find a way to shrink it down and make it seem less intrusive.

sna1970

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
sorry , I am not a Robot. and I dont want to carry a computer infront of my eyes.

guys .. just stop it !

This is too much "machine" life and the mobile phones already ruined our necks.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

These an innovation? NO, these are just simply geek headsets that will probably just get stolen by those that can't afford one.

An innovation can be big or small and it has to do something positive. Putting a camera in a headset is not new.

Sit down and think about how many companies are trying to make their products look and act like an Apple product? Apple comes out with innovations that other companies base their product lines after. IPhone, iPads, case styling, OS, Apple still innovates but sometimes it's a small design that they integrate. Even small things like the asymmetrical fans in their laptops is an innovation, Fusion drives is an innovation, lots of little designs of their products are innovations. These Glass devices are nothing more than something that people don't NEED, they are just something to get people's attention and many of them will get stolen. They aren't traceable. It's just a Bluetooth earpiece with video camera, that's all these things are. Not much to them.

----------

I'm waiting for the Apple iGlass.

I doubt Apple will be stupid enough to market their own version. All these things are is a camera, earpiece and microphone in a BlueTooth headset. There's nothing else involved with these things. It's a $1500 rip off is what it is.

How much does a little camera, microphone, earpiece with a small battery and BlueTooth electronics cost? Probably around $50 and then the cost of the actual headset? You can get camera Goggles for $200, and ear piece/microphone for $100. These things are a freaking RIPOFF.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I love the idea!! I would so love to have one....but...I think I might wait for the version with Retina display to come out. :p

Or will Apple release a device called the iRetina? Where the video is projected directly onto your retina. That would be cool!
Or perhaps the iContact, the Contact Lense version, with retina display?
Will Apple ever make iContact with its customers?

You would need an accompanying ear piece though so that you can hear audio.
I guess Apple would need to come up with the iEar or the iHear or the iHearYou.
The iHearYou sounds like a good name but will Apple ever listen to its customers?
:D:p

Maybe Google is the way to go. Google Glass sounds pretty lame though. How about these names:
Google Goggles?
Google Ogles?
Google Incredibly Over Priced Spy Glasses For Perverts?
Google Beat Apple With New Technology That Will Reinvent The Future And Obsolete iPads and iPhones Glasses?

I wonder if it will come with an X-ray App to see through clothing. Now that would make it really cool! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.