Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Don't know why budget-conscious schools don't buy PCs. PCs are far better than Mac even though I'm a Mac, iPhone, and iPad user. :confused:

I would think Macs would be cheaper over time due to the fact that they last longer and software/OS costs would be much cheaper (no AV, $15 OS upgrades versus $100+ for the newest version of Windows).

Compatibility with each OS upgrade is much better on a Mac as well.

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
This seems very overpriced to be an "education institute" discount. The specs are beyond awful. The base consumer model which is $200 more offers much more than that worth of upgrades.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
these systems will be just fine even for consumers. I wish they would offer them to the public...then maybe I would buy one (once they hit the refurb store)

But I agree they should be offered to the public also.

That's what happened with the eMac.

----------

You're probably a kid and you probably think you know a lot about computers.

I'm a kid, and I know plenty about computers. Excuse me while I finish compiling FreeCAD.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
A price point of $800 would be more appropriate. Thank you Apple for failing to make a economical educational model.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Don't know why budget-conscious schools don't buy PCs. PCs are far better than Mac even though I'm a Mac, iPhone, and iPad user. :confused:

Uh maybe because there's a lot more maintenance involved dealing with Windows and Macs are legendary for educational institutions. People are used to using them. You're not going to pay any less in taxes if they were to switch to using Windows machines.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I would think Macs would be cheaper over time due to the fact that they last longer and software/OS costs would be much cheaper (no AV, $15 OS upgrades versus $100+ for the newest version of Windows).

Your not making sense, Windows XP based Machines have been supported for over 10 years, and PCs and Macs are made of the same Asian built parts, Macs are supported for 5 years tops, a Windows Machine is supported twice as long. Lots of schools still use XP and are just switching to 7 10 years later..

I love my macs, but the long term support for them is pretty poor. And the last generation imac had serious hard drive, dust under the screen, and heat issues. i would know, I own one.

And anyway, this Machine is a complete ripoff for the price your paying.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah this is a rip off. Good move on Apple's part. Lower the price slightly, lower the specs dramatically and label it as an "Education only discount ". Each My old school usually orders about 30 a year, so that's about $30k... not sure how much in profit Apple will make but hurrah for capitalism. It is our freedom to set our own prices. And that is fine. But it's not a deal.

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area

Most Universities lease their computers. This is much cheaper in the long run since leases are normally 3 years and then you re-up to get brand new units. They also get the companies into bidding wars to provide the computers, even more savings. On top of that it is the leasing companies responsibility to fix the computers so no need for a large IT workforce on the Universities end.

Lets face it too, the corporate world is Microsoft centric as well. C#.net, Sharepoint, Office, etc... Macs just don't have a place there yet (if ever). Most universities are going to primarily provide their students with computers comparable to what they will use when they get out of the Educational Environment. Until the day that Apple can get the software that a companies want to use on the inside you won't see Macs there.

Aside from that these pose a much greater risk of theft, as they are Apple products.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I remember when Steve had a temper tantrum over the lack of a 3.0+ Ghz PowerMac chip. Now there is a 3.3 Ghz chip in the crippleware education iMac. We have arrived.

A temper tantrum? I never saw that. He just mentioned it during a keynote that they weren't able to offer it. Do you have a link to where he had a temper tantrum? :confused:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Macs cost about the same as name-brand PCs for equal specs and bundle (rather than cherry-picking some features and ignoring others). So--find a PC with a durable glass screen, gesture-capable laser mouse, software as east to use and productive as GarageBand/iLife, Thunderbolt connector, etc.

They also last longer.

They cost less to support.

They hold better resale value.

They are more productive to work with.

Sounds like a win for schools as much as anyone!

Not the right model for hard core gamers though. And you could say that your school needs DIFFERENT specs from these (maybe you don't need the software bundle but you need a DVD burner: add $89 then). Heck, maybe you need laptops, or a 27" screen. You can't, though, say this iMac is overpriced compared to an equivalent PC for what you get.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
it should be 999, or 899. the four components they changed and added much cheaper ones make up for more then 200.
respect that they did it though.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
You may think PCS are cheaper, but in the long run they are far more expensive to maintain and keep working properly. I don't recall ever seeing an IT tech doing anything to any of the Macs and we had over 500 in the one building. It was a daily occurrence them going round fixing crashed PCS though in other parts of the college LOL. They also have to run constant updates on the PCS and make sure all anti virus stuff is working correctly.

Even in the long run I do not think they will cost more. Work field IT for some hospitals. Come across Macs. Still have to service them just like I do the PCs. Do I service more PCs? Yes... but we have a lot more PCs than Macs. I hardly see hardware issues at all. Even the 4-5 year old Dells are still chugging along. If I ever run into problems 9/10 it is a software related hangup related to our old Archiac XP Image. However the Win 7 machines require far less work. If it ain't software well then it would be a fried PSU from our constant surges or a worn out HDD. Something Macs aren't magically immune to.

Actually, it's "Mac", not MAC. Back to school for you friend. :)

And $1099 for a powerful computer is a good price. Back when I was in school, Macs cost upwards of $5000.

A $1100 All in one running a slight step up from a Celeron Dual Core i3.

Powerful shouldn't be an adjective to describe this thing.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yeah this is a rip off. Good move on Apple's part. Lower the price slightly, lower the specs dramatically and label it as an "Education only discount ". Each My old school usually orders about 30 a year, so that's about $30k... not sure how much in profit Apple will make but hurrah for capitalism. It is our freedom to set our own prices. And that is fine. But it's not a deal.

Chances are the schools that have large orders are not going to pay $1099.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
This is whats wrong with many schools. They don't know how to budget. They don't have the sense to buy cheap PCs instead of buying expensive Macs, and then spend the extra money on other resources. Macs are great if you have the money. But you are a school on a budget, don't even consider it.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Your not making sense, Windows XP based Machines have been supported for over 10 years, and PCs and Macs are made of the same Asian built parts, Macs are supported for 5 years tops, a Windows Machine is supported twice as long. Lots of schools still use XP and are just switching to 7 10 years later..

I love my macs, but the long term support for them is pretty poor. And the last generation imac had serious hard drive, dust under the screen, and heat issues. i would know, I own one.

And anyway, this Machine is a complete ripoff for the price your paying.

Macs are supported for a long time, the reason schools Macs in schools had to be replaced for XP is because of the switch to Intel. Our school uses the same iMacs they got in 2006 (Upgraded to run Snow Leopard) in the Photography and Arts classes, My graphics class and some of the broadcasting computers are still the same 2007 Aluminum models (still running Leopard mind you). In fact, some of the school Macs are older than the Dells running Windows 7 in the school.

I do agree though the machine is overpriced, should be closed to $700/$800

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.