Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Going to go to Apple Store in NYC and complain about my power button issue. Then ask them to give me a white iPhone 5 instead.

I'll be in my suit and tie, looking proper and sophisticated.

palasmidas

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
I tried this to get my phone unlocked. Believe it or not, any iPhone 5 is unlockable. The genius has the ability to choose which carrier to lock it to.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why won't apple exchange a black iPhone for a white one? What's the big deal?

Because the part number has to match the product being given to the customer and the product that it is taking back in and putting in that "refurb" box. I'd assume its more an inventory issue but still, the store shouldn't have to suffer because a customer wants a different color. Thats why there is a 30 day return policy.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Because the part number has to match the product being given to the customer and the product that it is taking back in and putting in that "refurb" box. I'd assume its more an inventory issue but still, the store shouldn't have to suffer because a customer wants a different color. Thats why there is a 30 day return policy.

I ordered day 1. Is this how I get punished?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Please tell me how you are getting punished because you changed your mind? You are having a problem with your phone, they will replace your phone with the same one you have had for 5 months.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

"Punished"??

You bought a black one, and they'll be giving you a brand new black phone that you chose at the beginning anyway.

It'd be nice to change colour, of course, but I'd MUCH rather have an easy replacement than Apple running out of a certain colour, not having that bit in stock etc...

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Think about how many more genius bar appointments and random complaints there would be (compared to what they already see!) if people knew they could get a different color whenever there is any issue with their device! THAT'S the reason they don't allow this.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Going to go to Apple Store in NYC and complain about my power button issue. Then ask them to give me a white iPhone 5 instead.

and what would be the maker of your suit again? White iPhones require Zegna, Black iPhones will settle for $100 street suits. :p

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Tell ya what, some of u are "high maintenance" no wonder iPhones are so expensive.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Tell them that you have a rare form of colour blindness that makes blacks appear white and whites appear black and you want what you paid for damnit!!

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

just come in wearing sweats.. trust me they love it

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Never happened before, won't happen for you, will never happen.

CKane-the-end-title.jpg

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Punished? You can buy the color you want and then sell the one you have. That's if the color means that much to you.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've had this argument many a time on MacRumors, and some people have claimed I'm wrong (I'm yet to see any proof of this), but changing the colour of a phone at the genius bar will cause significant inventory issues, and this won't be done. It is possible to do it (they *can* do anything). It's like how they *could* just give you a MacBook if they wanted to. There's nothing stopping them. But they wont.

The *only* way to change the colour of a phone is with a retail swap, for a phone bought from an Apple store, with the original receipt within the first 30 days. That time limit will only ever be extended under VERY exceptional circumstances, and you would have still have to have bought it from an Apple store.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Haha...love the "suit & tie" line. Why would that matter even a little bit??? I don't get ur logic. So since u dressed nicely apple will say "oh ok...Go get this guy a different color"? Ur crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.