Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
Noticed this today, a popup banner ad at bottom of Mac Rumors screen (the Lake Tahoe ad) [shows up after a few seconds], or is there some evil malware for ios 6.1...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 262

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Noticed this today, a popup banner ad at bottom of Mac Rumors screen (the Lake Tahoe ad) [shows up after a few seconds], or is there some evil malware for ios 6.1...?

If you can grab the URL of the ad, the admins can see about having the ad removed from the site.

What do I do about annoying ads?

MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
This pop up ad really blows when reading on an iPad. It is large and when dismissed it scrolls you back to the top of the page.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This pop up ad really blows when reading on an iPad. It is large and when dismissed it scrolls you back to the top of the page.

If you want to make the ad go away, see my post above yours for details. But basically, if you can grab a screen shot and get the URL and post it here, the admins will see about removing it from the ad pool.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I think I got rid of it.

arn

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A Thought About Ads

Whilst ads can be annoying at times, it's worth remembering that without them MR and sites like it would not exist. Advertising revenue is what maintains the site, so if you see one that bothers you from time to time, it's worth bearing in mind that without them, we wouldn't have the board at all.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Oz advertisement annoying

Hey,

I understand MacRumors need to make money and I usually don't have a problem with advertisement but today I noticed this new "Oz" advertisement in MacRumors when browsing the site with my iPad and the advertisement keeps being active even when I visit other sites. I have to completely close Safari and open it up again for the advertisement to not show up. This is really intrusive and I hope it gets fixed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's happened again. The ad was for Grid2. Unfortunately, I don't have a quick way to upload screenshots from my iPad.

Isn't there a way to reject ads by format? Because this is going to be a whack-a-mole situation if we have to report banner ads each time they pop up.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
This one for grid 2 is paticularly annoying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 132

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

The exact same thing just started happening to me two days ago. I am considering not browsing the forums anymore because it literally shows on every page for me. They are all different ads, not just an "OZ" ad. The most annoying thing is how it brings you back to the top after it is closed by the "x" as you mention. They don't load fully until you've probably scrolled half way down the page already. I rely mostly on my iPad to surf nowadays, and this is discouraging me from being an active part of the forum.

RayZorFIst

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Count me in as one who is REALLY annoyed by this bottom banner add on my iPad. Seriously considering leaving the site because this is so annoying. I'll give it another day or two...

RayZorFIst

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Annoyed by add

Just to be clear here, the annoying banner ad is on the main macrumors page and really dicks up the lading of the page.

jhuff79

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
At first I was worried that this was a virus, the slightly paranoid person that I am. Do these banners only pop up to iPad users? It also appears that engadget is using them too. Just to be clear it's not a virus right?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
New banner ads as people have mentioned above are definitely annoying when browsing on an iPad. Dont care for them one bit.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Adds at Bottom of Safari

Hi all,

I didn't see a thread for this, so I'll make a new one.

Recently, I noticed every so often that when I browse forums such as this one on my iPad (3rd gen, no jailbreak, iOS 6.1.3) using Safari, I sometimes get an add sprawled across the bottom of the screen. I can tap to 'x'-out of it, but it's still annoying. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't recall this happening until about the beginning of the month... unless this is some new feature of forums that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We are working to stop these from appearing.

arn

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Arn, please get rid of that traveling Grid 2 ad, it's crashing my iPad1:mad:
Tried to get an URL, all it shows is macrumors.com#

----------

Whilst ads can be annoying at times, it's worth remembering that without them MR and sites like it would not exist. Advertising revenue is what maintains the site, so if you see one that bothers you from time to time, it's worth bearing in mind that without them, we wouldn't have the board at all.

I understand that, we have had ads before, but this new crop is damn annoying!
When they crash my iPad,that's wrong!:mad: I used to financially contribute to this site so I wouldn't see them, then they started to appear anyway, so I quit contributing, if MR needs to annoy me for money, I'm outta here! I know, I know, don't let the door hit me in the a$$ on the way out

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I used to financially contribute to this site so I wouldn't see them, then they started to appear anyway, so I quit contributing

Which ads? they aren't supposed to appear (on front page, or forums) if you are a contributor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.