Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch Joining Apple as VP of Technologies

CNBC's Jon Fortt has just issued a Tweet reporting that Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch is leaving the company to join Apple. A second Tweet from CNBC claims that Lynch's departure from Adobe is coming this week.

It is not yet clear what role Lynch will be taking on Apple, but Fortt presumably has a full report coming soon.

Lynch spent ten years as Chief Software Architect at Macromedia before joining Adobe when it acquired Macromedia in 2005. Lynch has been Chief Technology Officer at Adobe since 2008.

In his executive role at Adobe, Lynch occasionally addressed tensions between Apple and Adobe over Flash as Apple chose not to support the technology on its iOS devices and to minimize its presence on the Mac platform. Lynch had expressed disappointment at Apple's "negative campaigning" against Flash, but the two companies have obviously continued to have a working relationship.

Update: Adobe announced Lynch's departure in a filing with the SEC today, though it did not specify where he will be working next.
Quote:
Item 5.02. Departure of Directors or Certain Officers; Election of Directors; Appointment of Certain Officers; Compensatory Arrangements of Certain Officers.

(b)

On March 18, 2013, Kevin Lynch resigned from his position as Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer, of Adobe Systems Incorporated, effective March 22, 2013, to pursue other opportunities.
Update 2: Adobe issued this statement to AllThingsD, saying that Lynch will be going to Apple -- though it doesn't specify what position he will be taking:
Quote:
"Kevin Lynch, Adobe CTO, is leaving the company effective March 22 to take a position at Apple," an Adobe spokesperson told AllThingsD. "We will not be replacing the CTO position; responsibility for technology development lies with our business unit heads under the leadership of Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen. Bryan Lamkin, who has recently returned to Adobe, will assume responsibilities for cross company research and technology initiatives as well as Corporate Development. We wish Kevin well in this new chapter of his career."
Update 3: CNBC's Jon Fortt tweets that Lynch will be reporting to Bob Mansfield, Apple's senior vice president of Technologies.

Article Link: Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch Joining Apple as VP of Technologies
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Slackula
macrumors member

It's official. Apple is buying Adobe.
Slackula is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Finally! Flash on ios...haha no thanks!
markfc is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Henriok
macrumors regular

I think it'd be great for him to join Apple as VP for professional creative markets. And let's hope he left Adobe because his disdain for their lack of interest in future technologies, crappy installers, buggy software and feature creep.
Henriok is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

Flash is now approved.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Flash is finally coming to iOS!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

iOS 7 will be flash-based!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
nickgri
macrumors member

Flashback

Bring Flash back! Ok maybe without the CPU hogging video component-but why get rid of the rest? One of the BEST interactive software programs ever written that used vector scalable images with layers and multimedia functionality-is there yet an HTML5 interface that can really compete with what Flash did? Not yet-why not? They are trying but not there yet-please get with it programmers and make something designers can use- not just programmers- for simple interactivity. Make it better than Flash! We are waiting.
nickgri is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Wow. It's kinda sad that the first thing you people think of when you hear about Adobe is Flash.
Renzatic is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Krazy Bill
Banned

Well crap. There goes the neighborhood.
Krazy Bill is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:25 PM   #11
needfx
macrumors 68020

maybe he will be looking into aperture and stuff
needfx is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Maybe we can now get our own creative suite instead of Adobes which is filled with products most of us don't want.
Ryth is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Wow. It's kinda sad that the first thing you people think of when you hear about Adobe is Flash.
Yeah... my first thought was "Final Cut Pro..?"

But apparently I'm the minority here with that one.
Small White Car is online now   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Hopefully we will be seeing Apple's take on Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. We just need someone to do it in the hope that Adobe prices come down to something more reasonable. They have no serious opposition at the moment, and as we all know, competition improves the breed and brings down prices.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Maybe the will make Aperture 4, instead of the abandonware that it is now...
Razeus is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:29 PM   #16
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Agreed.

This means a lot for Apple in terms of their creative suite such as Final Cut.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Yeah... my first thought was "Final Cut Pro..?"

But apparently I'm the minority here with that one.
Yup. It could mean Apple is finally taking the high end market seriously again...

...or we're gonna soon see Final Cut iOS.
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Attonine
macrumors 6502

Will be interesting to see whether his role will include core OS X features and functionality or Pro apps.
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Could be a great addition to the Apple team. Might bring some interesting perspectives to several products. Will be interesting to see what they do with him.
Popeye206 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:33 PM   #20
audio_inside
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Maybe the will make Aperture 4, instead of the abandonware that it is now...
Seriously, my first thought was that we might finally get some decent updates to Aperture.

Glad I'm not the only one who's begun to despair that Aperture was going to be orphaned (or, perhaps worse yet, "mobile"-ized.)
audio_inside is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Hopefully this means Aperture, FCP and Motion (yeah right) will get a hell of a lot better.
e-coli is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:35 PM   #22
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well this guy came from Macromedia first, the original creator of Flash. He was likely more involved in that than Adobe's other professional products.

That plus I have seen him in a ton of the blackberry developer videos from the past few years trying to push Adobe Air as a great mobile development platform.

So I'm personally not the biggest fan of this guy.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Well this guy came from Macromedia first, the original creator of Flash. He was likely more involved in that than Adobe's other professional products.

That plus I have seen him in a ton of the blackberry developer videos from the past few years trying to push Adobe Air as a great mobile development platform.

So I'm personally not the biggest fan of this guy.
Neither am I. I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't see this as a good move at all.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #24
lunarworks
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attonine View Post
Will be interesting to see whether his role will include core OS X features and functionality or Pro apps.
I'm thinking Pro apps. Adobe Premiere pulled a lot of people away from FCP in recent years.
lunarworks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:41 PM   #25
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Just like everybody elses thoughts:

Introducing iFlash: The biggest thing to happen to iOS since iOS

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion