Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

kevin_lynch.jpg
CNBC's Jon Fortt has just issued a Tweet reporting that Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch is leaving the company to join Apple. A second Tweet from CNBC claims that Lynch's departure from Adobe is coming this week.

It is not yet clear what role Lynch will be taking on Apple, but Fortt presumably has a full report coming soon.

Lynch spent ten years as Chief Software Architect at Macromedia before joining Adobe when it acquired Macromedia in 2005. Lynch has been Chief Technology Officer at Adobe since 2008.

In his executive role at Adobe, Lynch occasionally addressed tensions between Apple and Adobe over Flash as Apple chose not to support the technology on its iOS devices and to minimize its presence on the Mac platform. Lynch had expressed disappointment at Apple's "negative campaigning" against Flash, but the two companies have obviously continued to have a working relationship.

Update: Adobe announced Lynch's departure in a filing with the SEC today, though it did not specify where he will be working next.
Item 5.02. Departure of Directors or Certain Officers; Election of Directors; Appointment of Certain Officers; Compensatory Arrangements of Certain Officers.

(b)

On March 18, 2013, Kevin Lynch resigned from his position as Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer, of Adobe Systems Incorporated, effective March 22, 2013, to pursue other opportunities.
Update 2: Adobe issued this statement to AllThingsD, saying that Lynch will be going to Apple -- though it doesn't specify what position he will be taking:
"Kevin Lynch, Adobe CTO, is leaving the company effective March 22 to take a position at Apple," an Adobe spokesperson told AllThingsD. "We will not be replacing the CTO position; responsibility for technology development lies with our business unit heads under the leadership of Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen. Bryan Lamkin, who has recently returned to Adobe, will assume responsibilities for cross company research and technology initiatives as well as Corporate Development. We wish Kevin well in this new chapter of his career."
Update 3: CNBC's Jon Fortt tweets that Lynch will be reporting to Bob Mansfield, Apple's senior vice president of Technologies.

Article Link: Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch Joining Apple as VP of Technologies

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
I think it'd be great for him to join Apple as VP for professional creative markets. And let's hope he left Adobe because his disdain for their lack of interest in future technologies, crappy installers, buggy software and feature creep.

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Flashback

Bring Flash back! Ok maybe without the CPU hogging video component-but why get rid of the rest? One of the BEST interactive software programs ever written that used vector scalable images with layers and multimedia functionality-is there yet an HTML5 interface that can really compete with what Flash did? Not yet-why not? They are trying but not there yet-please get with it programmers and make something designers can use- not just programmers- for simple interactivity. Make it better than Flash! We are waiting.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Maybe we can now get our own creative suite instead of Adobes which is filled with products most of us don't want.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hopefully we will be seeing Apple's take on Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. We just need someone to do it in the hope that Adobe prices come down to something more reasonable. They have no serious opposition at the moment, and as we all know, competition improves the breed and brings down prices.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Maybe the will make Aperture 4, instead of the abandonware that it is now...

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Could be a great addition to the Apple team. Might bring some interesting perspectives to several products. Will be interesting to see what they do with him.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Maybe the will make Aperture 4, instead of the abandonware that it is now...

Seriously, my first thought was that we might finally get some decent updates to Aperture.

Glad I'm not the only one who's begun to despair that Aperture was going to be orphaned (or, perhaps worse yet, "mobile"-ized.)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Hopefully this means Aperture, FCP and Motion (yeah right) will get a hell of a lot better.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Wow. It's kinda sad that the first thing you people think of when you hear about Adobe is Flash.

Well this guy came from Macromedia first, the original creator of Flash. He was likely more involved in that than Adobe's other professional products.

That plus I have seen him in a ton of the blackberry developer videos from the past few years trying to push Adobe Air as a great mobile development platform.

So I'm personally not the biggest fan of this guy.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well this guy came from Macromedia first, the original creator of Flash. He was likely more involved in that than Adobe's other professional products.

That plus I have seen him in a ton of the blackberry developer videos from the past few years trying to push Adobe Air as a great mobile development platform.

So I'm personally not the biggest fan of this guy.

Neither am I. I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't see this as a good move at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.