Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
So this morning I get up and find out that my iCloud account is locked out. Apparently for some "security reason". I try to reset my password by sending an email to my email account on file but I never get the email. I have even tried answering my security questions but when I first try to enter my birthday it says it's incorrect. (I'm pretty sure I know my own birthday btw.)

What's going on?!
I've had this account for 3 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You are probably better off asking apple why your account is locked

They will have the specific reasons why

mattboo

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
I don't think you are the only one

I have exactly the same problem. For no reason the account gets locked, it won't accept my DOB and the email password reset never arrives.

Apple iCloud support about as useful as a chocolate frying pan and now I can't get to any of my documents on iCloud.

Has anyone else had the same issue and/or managed to resolve it?:mad:

hakito

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Hi All,

Yesterday evening my account (icloud account that i've had since the iphone 4 release) went weird and asked me to insert my password.

Which I did this morning and it did not recognise it, unfortunately for me the email resetting DID not work.. so i was left with the questions to which I did not remember the second one.

I tried everything after a bit I gave up and called Apple who said they were unable to do anything.
So for now, my email address is LOST or LOCKED.
Did you have any luck?

I mean i'm gutted to lose so many infos, i can't even locate my friends anymore now and I don't want a new icloud account.

Thanks for your reply.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
This happened to me also, because I made my first iTunes purchase on my new iPhone. (1)

First thing is first: I used this very iPhone to purchase a $3000 27" iMac and no secuirty question was asked. But for a $ 0.99 iTunes purchase it makes sense to ask the security questions. :confused:

Anyway, I don't care to remember security questions that I cannot write myself. So here I was locked out.

Second, below is how I got the security password reset, and this shows how pointless the security setup is when compared to the existing password

So I called the apple support, asked for security team and stated "I cannot remember my security questions".

I was immediately asked the to answer the security questions. Apparently this is procedure. It definitely is also absurd.

Then I was asked to read a code that was asked the iTunes account for which I forgot the security questions.

A code was sent to all devices connected with that iTunes account. I read this out to the support person. (2)

Then I was asked to login to the internet account site appleid.apple.com. I did this (3).

From there I clicked a special PIN button and this generated another code that I read out to the support person. (4)

From there the security passwords were reset.

Why is this security no better than the iCloud password ? Quite simply (refer to numbers in text)

(1) in this case the security questions are asked because I am doing a purchase. This means I have an unlocked iPhone and the iTunes account is connected. So I am nearly in.

(2) the code was sent to all devices linked to the account, this includes the device I am holding in my hands, and it is unlocked since I can use iTunes.

(3) here I agree, I need to know the password

(4) if I know the password I can login, press the PIN button and read the code

So for steps 1-4 above the only thing I need to know is the account password.

Why the hell does Apple make my life miserable with a security setup that - in the end - is equivalent to the password ?

I thought Apple cared about me, both in terms of security and user experience. Here both fail miserably.

terribeverley

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Locked out of icloud

I also woke up this morning to work on my iMac and was told that my icloud password was incorrect, even though I had and always am logged in to my iCloud on my iMac. This is the third time this has happened to me and the second within a few months. When I tried re-entering my password, it didn't recognize it. Then, when I tried to reset it, it didn't recognize my birthdate (I think I know when I was born). It should also be noted that I've had my mac account with the same email address since 2003. There was no way to reset my password so I had to call apple. I pity the person that picked up my call because I am past the point of irritation and am absolutely furious. I was directed to the security division and my account was verified through credit card and social security information. One of the most ridiculous things about resetting your password is through the email route (how are you supposed to access the reset email when you can't access your email account?). I went through this the last time and had them email the link to my fiancee. This time I set up a new account at AOL (yes, they are still around). The apple person told me that I would get the email within an hour. Lo and behold, two hours later and no email. I had no recourse but to call apple again. Make sure you get a person's name, number and extension before hanging up so you can contact that person directly. I, unfortunately did not and got directed to another person in the security division by the name of Shae. She apparently did not like my use of language and actually asked me to refrain from using the word bull---t. Seriously, I felt like I was being scolded. She then told me that the person I spoke with previously gave me wrong information and that long lost email would never arrive. I was heartbroken. Fortunately, she was able to have the mis-informed person call me who felt terrible about the wrong information and was pleading to assist me. I will have to wait 8 hours before we can try to reset it through security questions. It's good to note that the apple support don't have case sensitive issues so they have more leeway to answer the questions. If you don't want to read this dialogue, here's the lowdown:

1. Apple definitely has issues with the icloud accounts that arbitrarily lock people out of their accounts. Resetting your password can be a nightmare but if you have to do this you want to have all of your information.

2. If you haven't, you should update your security questions and write them down somewhere. I use the app "keeper". You need these to reset your password if you don't use the email option.

3. If you use the email option to reset your password, you will need a secondary email account as you will not be able to access your icloud email account.

4. If you have to call apple support, you will want to speak to someone in the security division. Make sure to get all of their information in case you need to re-connect with that person.

5. You are only allowed a certain amount of tries on your security questions (3) and if you fail, you will be locked out for 8 hours. If that happens, you're better of contacting apple support since they don't have case restrictions on the answers and can do this with you over the phone.

6. If you are like me, and have had numerous issues with being locked out of your icloud account, you may want to consider another service provider. This is my third time, second in the last few months, and it doesn't seem to be getting resolved.:mad:

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
now with the 2-step verification code, u can do away with the security questions.

it will send the pin to the verified devices which is way better.
add more verified devices if u have the tendency to lose ur devices.

Mada

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Scotland
now with the 2-step verification code, u can do away with the security questions.

it will send the pin to the verified devices which is way better.
add more verified devices if u have the tendency to lose ur devices.
In theory this is fine but I'm now locked out (for security reasons) of my iCloud account (which is also my primary email account). I go to iforgot.apple.com enter the recovery key, have a 4 digit code sent to my iPhone, enter it into the website and... nothing happens it loads a blank page and I can't proceed.
Rang Apple who said that since I have 2 step verification they can't touch the account, they'll escalate the site issue but they can't help me directly. So for the moment I have no email and can't use my iTunes account or update apps.

If anyone has a magical fix I'd love to hear it!

Reactions: BooSjhe

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
In theory this is fine but I'm now locked out (for security reasons) of my iCloud account (which is also my primary email account). I go to iforgot.apple.com enter the recovery key, have a 4 digit code sent to my iPhone, enter it into the website and... nothing happens it loads a blank page and I can't proceed.
Rang Apple who said that since I have 2 step verification they can't touch the account, they'll escalate the site issue but they can't help me directly. So for the moment I have no email and can't use my iTunes account or update apps.

If anyone has a magical fix I'd love to hear it!

If what they told you is correct I would pester Apple until I got an acceptable response. Because the one they gave you so far just doesn't fly. If the person on the phone can't answer your question tell them to transfer you to someone who can.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
If what they told you is correct I would pester Apple until I got an acceptable response. Because the one they gave you so far just doesn't fly. If the person on the phone can't answer your question tell them to transfer you to someone who can.

Why do you guys put up with this? Ask to speak to a supervisor who is experienced in that field. I have not spoken to a regular AppleCare tech for the past few years. Supervisors can get stuff done.

Mada

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Scotland
Why do you guys put up with this? Ask to speak to a supervisor who is experienced in that field. I have not spoken to a regular AppleCare tech for the past few years. Supervisors can get stuff done.
Just a quick update. I called back the following morning (Thursday) and talked to Cork (I called the US number on Wed night in the hope of a quick fix but didn't get anything). Guy there was great but equally baffled by the problem (he enabled 2 step on his own account and had no problem with getting a password reset). Escalated to engineering who were due to call back yesterday but didn't. I do have his direct extension though so will be calling again today. Will keep you posted.

moram

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I have exactly this same issue. Locked out of my account last Thursday, and despite on going phone conversations with apple support, still no joy.

I have tried using the iforgot website on multiple devices and multiple different networks. In every instance after entering the 4 digit code I also get a blank screen.

Will update this thread if I get any joy, in the meantime would welcome any news of progress.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I have exactly this same issue. Locked out of my account last Thursday, and despite on going phone conversations with apple support, still no joy.

I have tried using the iforgot website on multiple devices and multiple different networks. In every instance after entering the 4 digit code I also get a blank screen.

Will update this thread if I get any joy, in the meantime would welcome any news of progress.

What are they saying when you call? Have escalated your case with them when on the phone?

Mada

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Scotland
What are they saying when you call? Have escalated your case with them when on the phone?
I'm now being dealt with by Cork by a 'senior AppleCare advisor' (that may not be the exact title but senior was definitely in there) who has given me his direct dial extension. I now call Apple Cork on a 00 800 (international freephone number). He's working with their technical department who sent an email to him on Friday night saying it was fixed (it wasn't). He's contacted them again and we're expecting a response this morning. We're still not any further forward though...
Any other suggestions as to what I should do. Should I just abandon this account and move on? Can't tell you how much I wish I'd never set up 2-step, serves me right for trying to be safe!

moram

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I am now in a similar position, and have someone ringing me from Apple approximately twice a day with progress (or lack of) and to ask questions. Unfortunately he seems to be a go between and is in turn communicating with the iTunes techies.

His latest update, about an hour ago involved asking me some browser related questions I'd already covered (I'm a Software Developer & gave a pretty thorough bug report when the problem first occurred), and telling me there are no problems with two-factor authentication.

When I pointed out that I'd found forum posts describing the same issue, and that it had been reported to Apple, he went quiet. Although to be fair I don't think it's his fault. If you've got two-factor enabled the people you can reach on the phone can't help. Fine if it works!

I've thought about creating a new Apple ID to enable me to get my Apple ecosystem up & running again (this issue is becoming a real problem), but I resent the idea of abandoning all the media & apps I've bought over the last several years. Trouble is, I don't see this getting resolved anytime soon as there doesn't seem anyway to contact the right people directly. Bloody frustrating!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I'm now being dealt with by Cork by a 'senior AppleCare advisor' (that may not be the exact title but senior was definitely in there) who has given me his direct dial extension. I now call Apple Cork on a 00 800 (international freephone number). He's working with their technical department who sent an email to him on Friday night saying it was fixed (it wasn't). He's contacted them again and we're expecting a response this morning. We're still not any further forward though...
Any other suggestions as to what I should do. Should I just abandon this account and move on? Can't tell you how much I wish I'd never set up 2-step, serves me right for trying to be safe!

Honestly I would call up your direct contact and stay on the phone until he gets someone from their technical department on the line. When it comes to your data this whole act of waiting on them to email one another just will not fly.

If that doesn't work I'd start firing off emails to Tim Cook's account and see if you can get one of his assistants to get involved with this. Being completely locked out of your email account should take no more than one day to rectify.

Mada

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Scotland
Honestly I would call up your direct contact and stay on the phone until he gets someone from their technical department on the line. When it comes to your data this whole act of waiting on them to email one another just will not fly.

If that doesn't work I'd start firing off emails to Tim Cook's account and see if you can get one of his assistants to get involved with this. Being completely locked out of your email account should take no more than one day to rectify.
I'll certainly try that in the morning. Just spoke to him there (before reading this post) and he brought up without prompting that the issue is not unique to me and is impacting other people. He's due to call back at midday (UK time) tomorrow so I'll update then.

It's now been 120 hours since I had access to my email and I'm beginning to get pretty tetchy!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
another one here locked out - account dates back 8 years form .Mac day's and as it happens i have an App in Review so may not get to find out if Apple wants any more info from me.

Just spoke to Apple Support and as it happens my account is not in my name but my wifes ? Funny as i just bough a Macbook Pro Retina from them with no problems at all!

So i got a 5.30 call back tonight so me and the wife can have a stab at the silly questions ( which we did not set )

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.