Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Wait, flatter design? So iOS7 is going to look like Windows 8? :confused::confused::confused:

Yeah and that's not a bad thing. It's just minimalism (what Apple is known for in its hardware).

I hate Microsoft as much the next guy but Windows Phone 8 has a great/fresh UI. Windows 8 is good too (only on a tablet, I don't know why they used the same UI on the desktop).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've been with them on the last few updates, keeping the UI the same, but I think the time has come for a few changes. Easier access to controls (e.g. brightness) and easier access to information from the lock screen (say, 3 custom gestures that could be made over the image on the lock screen for your preferred tasks) would make my use of my iPhone just so much quicker!

I'm not a jailbreaker, and I'm against it as a concept, but Apple should take a look at some mods available on jailbroken devices - 99% rubbish, but theres a few mods they could learn from.

There is quite a bit they could learn from the jailbreaking community as a whole. I'm not against it as a concept, I just had an issue once that rendered my phone useless until I flew home and plugged into my computer. That being said, toggles, lock screen access, ability to choose your default browser/camera, etc. We'll never see some of that, such as the browser and camera default options, but toggle buttons in general aren't exactly taking away from iOS and it seems to be a favorite option for people.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Whatever their plans, I hope they take their time and do it right. Don't release it too early like the maps last year.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
What kind of reaction can we expect if it's another piecemeal change with no real outstanding features?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hopefully he's doing this for OS X too. That Calendar and Contacts are ridiculous.

slanni

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
In my opinion, Mr. Ive is the last chance for Apple.. otherwise they are doomed. But hey, im just a middle class citizen, what do i know!

vjpulp

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Bern, Switzerland
Wait a minute.

They had to put away people from OS X 10.9 to work on iOS 7. Hence the delay in OS X. And now they're telling us that iOS 7 will be delayed too?

How many people work there? I mean, they dropped iLife, Logic, Final Cut Studio, they're haven't been working on a Mac Pro for years... what are these people doing the whole day long?

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Delayed? What was the announced release date?

Ive, 46, has begun revamping iPhone

Why does his age matter here? If this was a comment about setting a record in a triathlon, I could see the relevance, but were talking about making phones.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't recall Apple announcing a release date, so how can it be late? I'd rather it is done RIGHT than one according to some fool's induced timetable.

----------

Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right.

Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.

I know one thing for sure; I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 until I've heard some reports from others about it!

Thanks for the riveting insight. :eek:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
and that Ive is also exploring some future concepts such as gesture controls that do not require touching the device's display.

Gesture control. Where have I heard about that before? And the comments I recall called it gimicky. :eek:

galahan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right.

Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.

I know one thing for sure; I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 until I've heard some reports from others about it!

I get what you're saying but if there's someone I trust to design something well, it's Jony Ive. IMO his individual impact on modern Apple is second only to Steve's. I can't wait to see what he does with iOS.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wait a minute.

They had to put away people from OS X 10.9 to work on iOS 7. Hence the delay in OS X. And now they're telling us that iOS 7 will be delayed too?

How many people work there? I mean, they dropped iLife, Logic, Final Cut Studio, they're haven't been working on a Mac Pro for years... what are these people doing the whole day long?

I suppose each one writes more software every day than you do.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Best news is a complete overhaul of email.

I wouldn't mind them delaying iOS7 to have that included at ALL.

I second this, the look of iOS is fine. The focus should be core apps like Mail and Calendar...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Operating system overhaul means bugs on bugs on bugs :(

Hopefully when it's released they'll have a lot of kinks worked out.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Always liked Ive, look forward to the changes. I am sure it will be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.