Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Single windows spanning monitors is a huge pet peeve of mine. It makes my skin crawl.

Apparently someone at Apple agrees with me now.

I often move part of a window onto a second monitor so I can see content while working in another application, or reposition a window so the exact content is where I need it on screen. This is a matter of practicality/usability rather than aesthetics... I'm never far enough from the screens for this to bother me :)

Overall, it looks like Apple has a deep problem with the implementation of full-screen support - it really should be possible to full-screen an application into any single monitor in a given space (so I can have itunes full screened and iPhoto
full screened at the same time, for example). This new solution looks as broken as the current one, just in a different way.

Changing spaces separately is nice, but not at the expense of restricting content to one monitor.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I don't see anything wrong with that… Is different options, or you have multiple monitor and one space or multiple monitors and multiple spaces

The new option - the multiple monitors and multiple spaces, is exactly what I want. The existing multi-monitor support in Lion is abysmal and near unusable, especially when you full-screen an application.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
"It's no problem that when 1 app goes full screen, right, the other 5 can't do nuffin, but at least my wallpapers are all matchin eachuver."

From what I can gather people who have multiple monitors who have a workflow that requires simultaneous spaces switching would be put out IF this new way is the only way to do things in 10.9. It looks like in his beta the setting can be changed to the 'old' way. Apple MAY keep this setting in the final version like the reverse mouse scrolling option can be changed today.

WasBeen

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
UK, near London
the "W" word

I'm constantly on the edge of buying a Mac, but am still a Windows user.

This is the type of difference a switcher would not think of asking, and the video highlighted two ways of multiple monitor support, that I don't like.

I always assumed "full screen" apps worked fine on any screen (like in Windows), and also that you can drag or straddle between screens.
Both work and home I have two screens, and would be annoyed by either the 10.8 or 10.9 ways of working. I will often stretch a very large Excel across both 24" widescreen monitors.

Having said that, I am looking forward to getting "spaces" which I lost when work moved away from UNIX machines.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
does anyone know if in mission control, you can drag and drop windows from one screen to another aka 10.6? ML only lets you drag windows from different spaces associated with a single screen

I think this was in the keynote demo at WWDC, he was dragging windows across spaces on multiple monitors and spaces between monitors also. It looked like all bases were covered in this respect.

noobey

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
damn man,
the dudes made an innocent observation that reflects his workflow and is getting torn to pieces for it. This thread makes mac (rumors) users seem like a bunch of total douche bags.

I joined Mac Rumors for the useful help sections and responses in the forum, but it seems to be increasingly drowned out by "android is garbage", "dont you dare insult Steve" and "apple can do no wrong" type of discussion.

Not cool guys, lets just reel it back in a bit.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Well I am kind of dissapointed in this multiple monitor solution. Playing wow on one screen watching videos on the other screen is ok now, but with the new solution I actually end up with the menubar on the top and that is really annoying. Also for other apps I dont neccesarily want the topbar on all my monitors.

I do normally run three monitors, and with the new version I vill have another issue. I normally have my videoediting software on 2 screens and something else on my third screen. Yes I use multiple windows so that wont be the issue. But if I have another program that I use in the same manner in two other spaces I must first change one screen and then another. I would like Apple to make it possible to link monitors together as one space.

Also for a lot of games the fullscreen solution doesnt work at all. WoW fullscreen makes my other screens go black. When playing LoL my secondary and third screen is not able to be worked on. and the same goes for a lot of other programs and games as well.

I dont personally need to stretch a programwindow over multiple screens but I do see that it is sometimes handy. And for gaming it would be awesome to have the gaming area cover all three screens, just like the windows people have been able to with eyefinity the last couple of years.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
"In the brand new, OSX Maverick"

BZZZZT.

WRONG.

- ridiculous and useless presentation
- just showing off (like: I have 6 screens, 1 iphone, 1 ipad, 1 ipad mini & 2 MBP)
- the guy wants to feel interested but doesn't even know how to say the name of the OS correctly :rolleyes:

what a loser :rolleyes:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
been using multi monitor on Mavericks for a week ish now and i like.

takes a minor adjustment to get used to switching desktops independently across monitors but it is a lot more flexible.

i do a lot of work with documentation on one screen and apps on the other, i can use multiple different fullscreen apps while viewing the same document on the other screen

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
I use Logic 9 with 3 monitors. My workflow requires that I have Logic's mixer window open on one monitor , Logic's Arrange window open on the 2nd window and Logic's Piano roll editor open on a 3d monitor.

So all 3 windows are from the same App / Session.

Will Maverick's do this?

best,
SvK

ps: and will it remember my display configuration after a shutdown / power-up?

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
People are hung up on the "wallpaper" aspect, but that's just a demonstration of the larger point: Multiple monitors mean a single context for some users. I might have two terminal windows on one screen, Sublime Text on another, and a web browser on the third. When I switch two a new space, I'd expect all three monitors to change to the new space, since the first space represented a single work context. Hopefully they address this before the official release. A preference switch or a modifier key would be fine, and let people work either way.

I appreciate the guy taking the time to make this video and raise awareness of the issue.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Ah yes, scumbag Mac user; wants multiple monitor support fixed then complains about trivial crap that isn't important to those of us who use our computer for real productive work. This my friends is the same person who probably whines about the new Mac Pro not having PCI slots or thinks that an external hard disk hooked up to Thunderbolt 2 is slower than an internal one hooked up to SATA - (derp, derp! internal hardware is always faster! herp derp!).

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I think this was in the keynote demo at WWDC, he was dragging windows across spaces on multiple monitors and spaces between monitors also. It looked like all bases were covered in this respect.

I think dragging from multiple "screens" and multiple "spaces" is different. Here's a video I found of multiple displays in SL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKlb9SgqAg ... It's only dual display but it kinda makes the point. In SL when you had multiple displays they were all extensions of the same space. Now Apple has incorporated the Spaces preference into Multiple Displays so each display is it's own space rather then an extension of the same space. The SL style stills seems to be the best way and it can appeal to those who want there desktop picture to cover all the display at once as one big pic like the guy in the video pointed out.

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
complains about trivial crap that isn't important to those of us who use our computer for real productive work

You seem upset, which strikes me as a little odd. I would consider myself to be someone who uses my computer for "real productive work", and he raised some important issues. Namely, the inability to switch all desktops simultaneously. That's key to my workflow. It has nothing to do with seeing your wallpaper change (I don't even use a wallpaper), it's about having several persistent work contexts.

By raising these issues in this video, he's helped people like me who have a developer account but aren't planning on upgrading to Mavericks immediately. Myself and others can go ahead and flag this with Apple, and hopefully we get an option to work in different ways.

joboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
Mavericks vs Mt. Lion multiple displays

I have a large spreadsheet that I use in my work. I have thought of obtaining two 27" Thunderbolt displays to replace my one 30"Apple Cinema HD display when I get a new Mac. The sole purpose of two displays for me would be to spread the spreadsheet over wider territory so that the left part of the sheet would obviously be on the left display and the right part on the right display. Currently, I have to scroll left to make an entry that affects values on the right. Once in a while I forget to do this. I could have a more efficient and more effective work area if I could see both sides of the spreadsheet without scrolling.

Will this plan still be possible if I move to Mavericks? I'm currently on MacOS 10.8.4.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
I don't think there's anything wrong with what MrThaibox (the creator of this apparently controversial video) is pointing out. And yes, everyone, this version of Mac OS X is a Developer Preview. Plenty of time for developers and users to go to apple.com/feedback/ and give Apple the communication they need to make this OS release work better for everyone.

There could be the following settings in System Preferences:
Desktop and Screensaver
✔ Desktop Background spans all displays

Displays
✔ Application windows can use multiple monitors

We need to look at this video for what it is. Info to the masses and feedback for Apple. A Mac should be able flex to the user's needs. OS makers (i.e. Apple) can only see all use cases when they let a large user base test it.

Perhaps MrThaibox uses multiple monitors because it makes him more efficient at making a living. And what if a production studio uses this setup? I'm in no financial position to even buy ONE new monitor, but just because he made that investment in his workflow is no reason to start bashing him.

He has 6 displays because he works with stocks (I've been watching this guy on youtube for a while now haha)

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
It isn't about the wallpaper.

Think about it for a second. 50% of the comments here are "LOL he wants to see wallpapers move at once LOL get a clue, showoff rofl lol!!!" The point of that demonstration seems to have whooooshed right over your heads.

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
osx.jpg

I was disappointed with 10.8, and from the sounds of it 10.9 isn't going to be much better. If only my current machine supported 10.6...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.