Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
feeling snippy??

Not particularly, why do you ask?

Gee, I don't know why.

Probably surprised because you don't know this, as it's pure speculation.

Whoa. your comments are getting a little aggressive. We're all speculating, including you, so let's not get up in everyone's George Foreman. I'd recommend turning it down to a 3 or 4 from that 11. Flies and honey, and all. :)

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've done this quite a few times in the past (rejecting binaries that is, ... ), and I am fairly sure there is no email notification sent out when that happens.

But if you are running the iTunes Connect iTC Mobile app on your iPhone with notifications enabled, you will get a pop-up notification, IIRC.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
In honor of the anniversary of the App Store, Apple has decided to reward the Developer Center with a five-year vacation. :D

Toddph

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Registering a device

Has anyone figured out how to register new devices? I set up a few phones as the Apple developer site went down, and can't register new devices, they are bricks now... Ideas?

eduo

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
Mexico
Gee, I don't know why.
Whoa. your comments are getting a little aggressive. We're all speculating, including you, so let's not get up in everyone's George Foreman. I'd recommend turning it down to a 3 or 4 from that 11. Flies and honey, and all. :)

I'll admit they were becoming blunt, but it's in part because speculation is running wildly and there's stuff being said that is wildly out of touch with reality.

Normally I wouldn't say anything (and my history demonstrates I never do) but the conversation has started taking the speculation as fact, and started basing further opinions as if it was so.

I'm not speculating because I'm not trying to imagine whatever could be happening in Apple using only downtime as a basis. This is just nuts, and people are getting all worked up about wild theories based on air (I'm getting worked up about the forum, not Apple, not the same :D)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Has anyone figured out how to register new devices? I set up a few phones as the Apple developer site went down, and can't register new devices, they are bricks now... Ideas?

You mean running iOS7 beta or set up as development devices? Nope, pretty sure you can't do it until it comes back online, unless maybe you can do a local restore from iTunes (assuming you have the backup) -- even then you probably can't use it as a development device, but you may be able to restore the device for normal usage.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Considering how this is going down, I'm tempted to reset my passwords, however I don't know if that would actually be more of a risk than doing nothing. What if the password reset service is also somehow compromised? In that case it seems like Apple probably would take it offline, but what if they don't even know about that component yet? Or what if they actually lost control of the site? Apple has direct access to my business bank account. Sheesh, scary and confusing.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Attachments

• tumblr_mfinktnekZ1r4w32lo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mfinktnekZ1r4w32lo1_1280.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 341

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
But iTunes and iTunes Connect is still up, and Apple has info on way over 100M credit cards on file, which is a far bigger deal than your bank account.

True, but credit card charges can more easily be blocked or disputed, those aren't a direct line into an account (i.e. your cash).

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I don't think they could upload the App from the portal site, but the following:

* Obtain login details to Apple developer portal ( for example FB )
* Download provisioning profiles for the FB App
* Download the FB App from regular App Store
* Insert malicious code into FB App
* Resign using the previously stolen provisioning profiles
* Use same login details to log into iTunes Connect
* Submit the modified FB App

Possible? Perhaps, I'm definitely no expert. :)

For large companies like FaceBook, the iTunes Connect stuff is probably handled by somebody who isn't a developer.

It could be worse than just the facebook app.

It could be ios 7 itself and the mountain lion 10.8.5 build 12f23 both of which I got from the dev centers. Maybe someone corrupted them with malicious code.

Doubt it. The binaries are signed and verified by iTunes prior to installing or something like that.

The Problem with Apple's infrastructure appears to be that they are not using well-established technologies. There are scalable, rock-solid solutions available, but it seems Apple does continue to eat their own dog food.

WebObjects in 2013 ...

My guess it that all the components are so deeply entangled that nobody dared to try to go for a green-field approach and reimplement iTunes Connect for example.

Apple's non-consumer websites really are from the dark ages. The bug reporter and iTunes Connect are the two biggest offenders. Even the iTC App is awfully slow and antiquated!

The Google Play Developer Console is about 1000x better than iTunes Connect. I can't believe Apple just leave it like it is.

Every iOS developer I know uses a third-party service like AppAnnie to track sales and make up for iTC's deficiencies. That's pretty dangerous since you have to give them your iTC login information.

Additionally, they all use third-party services like TapStream, TestFlight Live or FlightPath for basic analytics - which is a service that Apple, IMO, should really be providing considering their 30% fee.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Maybe further evidence that this is not, in fact, "scheduled maintenance". I checked my emails, Apple has notified me before when they were planning something, although specifically for iTunes Connect. Why not this time? The sites affected are no less important to a developer than iTunes Connect. And come to think of it, I don't remember the other sites (like the developer forums) ever being down.

iTunes Connect will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Monday, February 13 from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. PDT.

iTunes Connect will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Thursday, October 25 from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Pacific).

iTunes Connect will undergo scheduled maintenance for approximately four hours starting at 8 p.m. (PT) on Saturday, January 26.

iTunes Connect will undergo scheduled maintenance for approximately one hour starting at 11 p.m. (PT) on Tuesday, June 25, 2013.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I checked my emails, Apple has notified me before when they were planning something, although specifically for iTunes Connect.

Those emails are for iTunes Connect, which seems to be still up and running. On the other hand, the dev portal is down and has gone down in the past for keynotes and new betas, unannounced.

Thus, the site which handles sales reports, money and banking is still up. But the site which handles docs, tools, betas, certificates and forums is down.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It could be worse than just the facebook app.

It could be ios 7 itself and the mountain lion 10.8.5 build 12f23 both of which I got from the dev centers. Maybe someone corrupted them with malicious code.

This is what would be qualified as "negligible effect".

Not that it matters, as here we're treading solidly in "things that wouldn't have any effect in the member center being down"

No. I don't think it is negligible if an entire system apple has provided to developers has been corrupted by malicious hackers.

StevieRay

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Maybe they are running the site on Windows servers, it must be a .NET update, they take forever.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Apple Store (Online down too) Could new product(s) appear without event?

Would apple release a product like iPhone 5s or a new iPad without an event? The store says that they're updating it for us. Or is this just part of the new consolidation of the three stores that will be revealed on Tuesday? Would they accelerate the release of products early to coincidence/precede the Earnings Call on Tuesday?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Would apple release a product like iPhone 5s or a new iPad without an event? The store says that they're updating it for us. Or is this just part of the new consolidation of the three stores that will be revealed on Tuesday? Would they accelerate the release of products early to coincidence/precede the Earnings Call on Tuesday?

No, they would never do that.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Although there might be a serious cause to this situation, I actually enjoy reading something worth reading here! It feels like ages since the last time that MacRumors actually had something like this thread.

There's speculation!
There are rumors!
Conspiracy!
Hackers!

Popcorn! :cool:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
This is really odd, and even the online store in the us is down at the moment. I hope that is unrelated though.

JamesWillson69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
This is not good.... Not good at all....... 80 percent sure it's a breach in security.. Ultimately, it's past the point of no return regarding apple not releasing a statement. There needs to be a what, when, how and why very soon.....

----------

Although there might be a serious cause to this situation, I actually enjoy reading something worth reading here! It feels like ages since the last time that MacRumors actually had something like this thread.

There's speculation!
There are rumors!
Conspiracy!
Hackers!

Popcorn! :cool:

I know, I've spent the last 20 minutes reading in detail all the posts.. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.