Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It makes me so nervous I had to start smoking again.
Also, I drink more coffee than normal.
I bite on nails and unhealthy sweets...

I see a lawsuit coming ;)

The sad thing is that while you're kidding (I hope), I'm sure there are some lawyers calling high profile devs to file a suit as we speak. Makes me sick.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Apple is giving a week extension to developers whose membership is due to expire...Something is telling me that the outage will last even longer...

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Tuesday is Apple's Earnings Call.

"Q: Tim. Can you tell us about improving security and privacy?"

"A: We had an amazing quarter ... we sold XX billion iPads ... we have amazing new products ... I can't really talk about specific ... we are constantly working on improving ... we offer the best experience ... it's a brilliant success story for our developers ..."

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
The sad thing is that while you're kidding (I hope), I'm sure there are some lawyers calling high profile devs to file a suit as we speak. Makes me sick.

It makes you sick that Apple has given no reason and millions of developers are losing money?

I agree. For a multi-billion dollar company to be down for 3 days unannounced with roughly a month before their next phone and iOS7 comes out is inexcusable.

But look at it in a positive manner. Maybe they are redesigning their developer experience to match the Pastel look of iOS7 and they may be looking for more 12-14 year old girls to become developers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I do not understand why this is not more widely reported.

This is a major fubar.

Developer's rely on this site to make a living.

It is absolutely inexcusable in 2013 for a website to be down 3 days and counting.

I love Apple as much as many fanboys, but Apple without Steve is a shell of
itself.

Very disappointed.

Yes, I am a developer so this is impacting me.
What does this have to do with Steve? Apple had plenty of f-ups on Steve's watch.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
It's not about losing money ... it's about losing confidence that Apple values the contributions of third-party developers to their success...

We are not only paying 100$, we are giving them a percentage of our revenue, ideas, time, and customer satisfaction.

They should at least communicate. I bet most of us accept any explanation as long as they communicate at all.

It's not only Mail, Safari, Maps and iTunes that led to their success.

EDIT: Just to be clear: If I had only 10.000 customers who are paying $100 per year, I would make damn sure they know what's happening on my end of this deal. Especially if it's affecting their business as well.

It's called "Managing Expectations"

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I had my device swapped due to a malfunctioning lock button so I couldn't add it to my developer account at the moment. I did a iOS7 restore and it says the device isn't added. The trick for me was to restore to iOS 6, then UPGRADE to the iOS 7 Beta 3 ipsw. I then restored to the backup I made prior to my trip to the "genius" bar.

For anyone who's in my predicament...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you're a decent enough programmer, theres negligible difference in dev time across iOS or Android really.

Dev time, maybe yes. Test & QA time to reach a majority of the potential market for non-trivial apps, no. The fragmentation with both device formats and OS versions is around two orders of magnitude worse.

----------

It makes you sick that Apple has given no reason and millions of developers are losing money?

Losing money? My iOS app sales were up yesterday.

Maybe a bunch of dev wannabe's are buying apps, instead of trying to learn to code or just playing with beta OSes?

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Dev time, maybe yes. Test & QA time to reach a majority of the potential market for non-trivial apps, no. The fragmentation with both device formats and OS versions is around two orders of magnitude worse.

----------

Losing money? My iOS app sales were up yesterday.

Maybe a bunch of dev wannabe's are buying apps, instead of trying to learn to code or just playing with beta OSes?

Did you want to upgrade your app and weren't able to?
Did you want to submit a new app and weren't able to?

Did you get multiple emails from people all over the World telling you to reset your password?

Did you open your eyes and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you and this is hurting a lot of sales and the fact that Apple hasn't even addressed it is nothing short amazing and proof of a poorly managed company.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
What does this have to do with Steve? Apple had plenty of f-ups on Steve's watch.

They did not have a fubar like this with Steve in Charge.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Apple but.....

1. Cheap iPhones - if true, stupid, Steve would have never done
2. Too many devices - Remember Apple almost went bankrupt because they had too many products before Steve came back and simplified.
Obviously they are not going bankrupt, but they are back to putting out way too many products that canoblize themselves (iPad Mini)

Peter Pan Jr.

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Did you want to submit a new app and weren't able to?

Did you get multiple emails from people all over the World telling you to reset your password?

Did you open your eyes and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you and this is hurting a lot of sales and the fact that Apple hasn't even addressed it is nothing short amazing and proof of a poorly managed company.

Bad things happen. What do you want them to do?

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
They did not have a fubar like this with Steve in Charge.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Apple but.....

1. Cheap iPhones - if true, stupid, Steve would have never done
2. Too many devices - Remember Apple almost went bankrupt because they had too many products before Steve came back and simplified.
Obviously they are not going bankrupt, but they are back to putting out way too many products that canoblize themselves (iPad Mini)
That's weird, I thought the mini was a hit?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
You can still update apps. iTunes connect is working.

You can't add devices, certificates or provisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

iTunes Connect never went down during this outage. The "Manage your Apps" and "Add Version" pages appear to still be up and working.

Or are you one of the devs who waits till the very last minute to do any provisioned device testing of their apps?

fouldsc

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Had a very weird one, they my membership expires on July 19th each year, I renewed ages ago and have receipt showing it is valid till 2014.
However I got the email saying they have extended my membership to keep my apps alive as the site is down.

WTF - are they really in that much of a mess ?

Peter Pan Jr.

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Put a statement on the dev site, which is still password protected, so it should not be used to badmouth them...

Put out an explanation of why they are down and an ETA on when it might be expected back up.

That is what any responsible company would.

To say nothing is inexcusable.

We don't know full extent of the issue and maybe for that reason they can't make any statement yet, if ever. So it's very easy to wiggle tongues on some forum.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Just to be clear: If I had only 10.000 customers who are paying $100 per year, I would make damn sure they know what's happening on my end of this deal. Especially if it's affecting their business as well.

It's called "Managing Expectations"

Why would you want to keep them informed? So you don't lose their business?

Go on then, leave the AppStore.

See? That's why the developer side of the AppStore sucks so badly. Apple don't need to provide us with a good service to keep our business; they just need to keep the consumer side of iOS strong.

Apple take $100/year from every developer and 30% of all sales, and provide a rubbish service for it. Meanwhile, the services we actually use to manage our AppStore businesses (like AppAnnie and TestFlight) don't charge us a thing.

I'd much prefer Apple provide the analytics directly, though. That way Apple can ensure unique tracking IDs are used correctly for analytics purposes, ensuring user privacy all the way.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Put out an explanation of why they are down and an ETA on when it might be expected back up.

That is what any responsible company would.

To say nothing is inexcusable.

Absolutely agree.

Give us a high lever what happened, but more importantly an ETA

I've seen 1 person developer shops treat their developers better

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
I was all ready to play with some code snippet (actually header and implementation files in a zip file - FLBlurredView if anyone's got it) someone posted in the ios dev forum re. snapshotting. I guess I'll just have to be patient but this no news thing is really annoying. Some devs apparently getting password reset emails so this is looking like a really major security breach. Could be Apple still don't know the best way to fix.. worrying.:mad:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'm curious, are the resets happening to those who have enabled two-step verification or no? I've had it enabled for a while now and I hope it is coming into use.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
I'm curious, are the resets happening to those who have enabled two-step verification or no? I've had it enabled for a while now and I hope it is coming into use.

Some devs have been getting 'password reset requests'. Don't think anyone has actually had their password changed (unless they responded to the bogus request of course). More here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57594711-37/amid-apple-developer-site-outage-users-report-unauthorized-password-resets/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.