Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Yes, two different formats, there is no issue and HB isn't causing it. If you have two completely different cars there will be differences, just as the aspect ratio can be different on two different movies.

So what could I do?

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Well personally I wouldn't suggest doing anything. There are settings on Picture Settings that only can fiddle with, in my experience it is best to leave it the way it was mastered. Best recommendation, leave it as is as it isn't an issue to begin with. If you feel that you can't stand it, you will need to get CDs with 4:3 ratio

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
So what could I do?

Unless you want to chop off both sides of the movie, Nothing. It is supposed to be like that. You can always double click to zoom in on your iPad but you'll just chop off the sides to get the full screen effect. I don't suggest that. Just leave it as is and get used to it, because that is the way it is supposed to be.

Its a wide screen movie. The movie is wider than your iPad. The black bars fix that for you.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I'm being ignorant but I don't understand how iTunes movies fit all?

----------

Well personally I wouldn't suggest doing anything. There are settings on Picture Settings that only can fiddle with, in my experience it is best to leave it the way it was mastered. Best recommendation, leave it as is as it isn't an issue to begin with. If you feel that you can't stand it, you will need to get CDs with 4:3 ratio

Can I change the ratio via picture settings, will that only change the "digital copy" not the DVD itself?

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Handbrake can't do anything that will change the DVD.

To increase the volume, try changing DRC to 1.

Using the "Universal" preset should make it work on everything.

15 RF is much too low. Try 19+.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
As for the audio issue, I set the gain on the AAC audio track to +4 dB. That's under the advanced audio settings. Seems to create about the right volume level for mobile devices.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Not knowing what preset you are using does not leave a whole lot of room for letting you know how to answer your questions. The smaller the RF the larger the file and the payback in quality may be negligible. Most people suggest 18-22 with 20 being a pretty good standard. Because every movie is different, results may differ from movie to movie due to the complexities.

Most if not all of your questions regarding HB should be researched at https://trac.handbrake.fr

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Then why is 10 RF 30mb more the 20 RF?

Good lord man. Use the preset. its bigger because you are using a higher quality setting. Btw, 10 RF is stupid and almost never used. The presets in hb are that way for a reason. If you want to max out a dvd source use and RF of 19 instead of the presets 20. Remember: the RF value is like a golf score, lower is better ( in terms of quality but as well file size).

As far as transcoding a dvd and having it be as small file size wise as well as good quality as an iTunes offering ... that will never happen.

Garbage in and garbage out. Apple is not transcoding from a dvd or even a blu ray for iTunes, likely studio masters (which I can neither confirm nor deny but take it on faith). The better quality the source the more you can compress it without losing perceptive visual quality.

Stick to the built in presets not some junk you downloaded on the internet until you learn more about what you want to do.

----------

I don't believe that Apple uses HandBrake so most of your questions on how Apple does it aren't really relative in regards to HB. In some cases I've seen the method that Apple uses inferior to HB.

Correct, apple does not use HB (though that would be a hoot if they did) but they also are not transcoding from a dvd or even a blu ray. Much higher res sources from the studios directly. HB will give you the best you can expect from a consumer level software transcoder given the sources. The x264 encoding library that hb uses has won pretty much every award that there is for speed and quality for the most part. But, again, none of us likely have access to apples sources they use for itunes encoding. From dvd the apple tv preset with maybe an adjustment to 19 instead of 20 is about as visually transparent as you are going to get with a relatively small file size.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Okay last question, I'm going to use the universal setting, but what's the difference from 19RF to 20RF when I hover the mouse over that it says "18 RF to 20RF is standard definition but 20RF to 23RF is high definition"? Does it mean 720p HD or just a higher quality standard definition? I don't have 720p DVDs so I don't want it to convert it to 720p when it's not and it using more space because it's 720p.

I put it to 19RF.

And is 720p DVD called Bluray? Or is it just all newer DVDs already have 720p?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The constant quality RF setting has nothing to do with the frame size (ie 720 or 1080 vertical pixels). It only has to do with the resulting bitrate - how many bits are required to encode 1 second of a movie. The lower the bitrate (higher RF value), the more of original picture content the compressor needs to "throw away", thus resulting a softer picture.
BluRay is another disc created mainly by Sony, to deliver HD movies to home. It has 25GB or 50GB capacity (compare this to 4.7GB or 9GB of a DVD), thus enabling to store full movie (120+ minutes) in 1080p quality, with HD audio and copy protection, extras and optional interactive Java applications (like games or BD-Live).
It's called BluRay, because it uses blue laser, instead of red laser (DVD), which yields a smaller reading spot - ie 1 bit can be represented by a smaller area on the disk.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
When I add the source and have the preset Universial it says "width 720" then when I click on a different preset and back it says "width 706"
What up with is?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Autocrop.

Per Darby67's excellent advice...read! https://trac.handbrake.fr

You said your previous post would be your last. You are getting tiring.

How is that auto crop? I have it on univerisal when I add the source and it says 720 click on iPod it says 706 and I click back on universal it says 706. Why?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
The last issue I'm having is audio, half way with headphones on my iPhone and I can barely hear it, I tried the methods above but it didn't help.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The last issue I'm having is audio, half way with headphones on my iPhone and I can barely hear it, I tried the methods above but it didn't help.
So, you are saying that turning up the gain didn't help ? If thats the case there isn't much you can do. Get better headphones.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I only read turn up DLC, Ill try Gain, what level should I put it?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I only read turn up DLC, Ill try Gain, what level should I put it?

Its DRC. Personally for converting ac3 to aac I use a DRC of 1 and a gain of 3. However, try for yourself. As the previous poster suggested maybe just turn up the volume on your phone ?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Um, consistent as in how ??? Forget I asked, I really don't wanna know. Adjusting gain is the only control for audio in HB. Maybe you should do a few tests on your own to see what you like. Beyond that ... not much anyone is gonna be able to do for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.