Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Hopefully it gets better and what were hearing now is just a bare bones beta I tried listening to a few stations and they are identical everytime I start playing them it's the same playlist again.

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013
Commercial ads on iPhone sounds terrible.. If there is a way to pay to get rid of it ill do it.

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
I guess the thought today is : Why listen to internet radio for FREE on itunes today when you can pay a fee to listen soon? Is that the thinking of everyone?
Sorry, this is nuts...

This. Maybe someone can answer my question here, but what will happen to all the radio stations currently on iTunes that can be accessed for free? Will they still be around - the "Radio" tab on iTunes could somehow be split between the old and "new" iTunes Radio - or is Apple planning on completely replacing what they already have?

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
well this is no surprise what so ever. Nearly every streaming service has adverts on it hell anything thats free has adverts built into it. It still wont make me use itunes match

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This. Maybe someone can answer my question here, but what will happen to all the radio stations currently on iTunes that can be accessed for free? Will they still be around - the "Radio" tab on iTunes could somehow be split between the old and "new" iTunes Radio - or is Apple planning on completely replacing what they already have?

It's customized vs. non-customized....

Similar to you with or without a remote control. You can either sit at your TV all night watching ABC, and taking in all of ABC's TV programming, or have a remote control and CHOOSE what you watch on TV, and change channels to shows you're more interested in.

I think both will still exist, it's just like in the 1970s, you'd turn the channel to a station, set the bunny ears to tune that station in, remove the static to an acceptable level, and watch the same channel all night. You can STILL do that today. But you have the OPTION of flipping through channels as well.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Will this be like Google Play where you can listen to any song you want or favorite it?

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Am I the only one that think an ad every 15 min is too much? Seems far more frequent than what slacker or pandora delivers.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I just wish I had an alternative payment other than match to avoid ads. I'm unable to get match because I have too large of a libriary. I know I can create a new library and split up my music to get match but I don't want it to be that much trouble. Oh well...

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Notice how they make a point to define "Apple TV" but none of their other devices? Can't help but think they are making sure it is not mistaken for something else they may be working on..

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Advertisements on iTunes Radio will come in three forms: interstitial audio and video ads and "slate" ads; interactive display ads that will take over whatever screen the consumer is using. That includes iPhones, iPads, all desktops and laptops loaded with iTunes (including Windows PCs) and Apple TV, the Apple device that brings Internet connectivity and apps to TVs.
Quite a competitor to Google Music and Spotify here! You neither get to pick what's playing AND you get obnoxious ads. Sounds like entire evenings filled with fun!

Seriously though, the iTunes Radio service is paying a too high price for being free. This is the point when it's more attractive to pay ten bucks a month and get none of this rubbish, and complete freedom of choice on what to play.

For being Apple and often not worrying too much about demanding payments, this is such a weird choice of business model. Imagine paying for an iTunes Unlimited service instead. Play everything from the entire iTunes catalog for $10/month. That's where the competition is today, Apple.

iTunes Radio is unfortunately 2004 rather than 2014.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't use iCloud. I'm only interested in the matching, but it is unusable.

How is it unusable? Like I said I use match alot and I haven't had any issues so I'm surious what issues you have encountered.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Am I the only one that think an ad every 15 min is too much? Seems far more frequent than what slacker or pandora delivers.

IMO it depends on how long the ad is every 15 minutes. Is it a 5 second spot? Or is it a minute long infomercial?

My guess is it's going to be that sweet spot of being just annoying enough to make you buy iMatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.