Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
I Like Spotify more...

This is one of those times when I WON'T jump in their saddle just because it's 'Apple.' I like Spotify for a whole host of reasons, and this new service is nowhere near it. OK...I'm sure it's not DESIGNED to be anywhere near what Spotify is, which is why I'll pay it no mind...no matter how many Quarter-Pounders with Cheese they try tossing at me.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
What should I have said? "steal paid streaming?" If it's stolen, then it isn't paid, either.

Wow man. Get a life.

"Get a life"? How is he any more or less "living" than what you did? You responded to a comment. He responded to your comment in kind.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
VIDEO ads? Oh boy, just wait until people start blowing through their monthly data caps and can't figure out why. Especially if you have one of those plans for a few hundred MB. That is enough to stream audio with, but not enough to support any kind of video.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
internet radio with no Web player - it is 2013 mobile service with 1999 mentality. Apple really need to end this iTunes kick.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Anybody know the audio quality of iTunes Radio? Also if you get iTunes Match can you get better audio quality? Spotify radio sucks, but listen to pandoras crappy quality is even worse so I'm hoping iTunes Radio is somewhere in the middle of those two. Good song selection and decent audio is all I really want from internet radio.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
iTunes Radio to debut in September in....the U.S. :D

I'm curious what we get first - iTunes Movies in the Cloud or iTunes Radio :rolleyes:

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
It's customized vs. non-customized....

Similar to you with or without a remote control. You can either sit at your TV all night watching ABC, and taking in all of ABC's TV programming, or have a remote control and CHOOSE what you watch on TV, and change channels to shows you're more interested in.

I think both will still exist, it's just like in the 1970s, you'd turn the channel to a station, set the bunny ears to tune that station in, remove the static to an acceptable level, and watch the same channel all night. You can STILL do that today. But you have the OPTION of flipping through channels as well.

It is actually nothing like flipping channels at all, that is the same as simply changing radio stations. This is way beyond that. The appeal of this, and other services like Pandora and especially Spotify is not that you can change the channel, but you can skip past entire shows on the same channel to get to get to the one you want to watch. It is like TV on demand for the music world, and there are many different layers of personalisation and customisation, from genres to songs you've highly rated, personal playlists, etc.

Imagine you liked to watch baseball, hockey, nascar, formula one, comedy T.V. series, and snooker. You put those categories into your TV and it comes up with a personlised channel just for you. The TV starts playing a news show about car racing in general. You can choose to watch it or skip to the next program in the queue. You TV learns from what you skip and what you don't skip, and how highly you rate the shows you do watch. It will throw you a few curve balls now and then to see if it can discover new material for you to watch, and eventually, only your favorite specific shows and events will end up in the queue.

Personally, I don't like the TV analogy - listening to music in a few minute long songs is a much different usage model than TV - for one you've got live TV and that won't fit too well into the model - second is the time and engagement levels - watching a 30-60 minute episode is much different that listening to a 3-5 minute song while you are doing something else...

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
That isn't bad at all.:) But I wonder why I'm still seeing ads when I'm an iTunes Match subscriber? :confused:

So far I've noticed that you have to actually have iTunes Match enabled on the device to get add-free Radio on that device.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Anybody know the audio quality of iTunes Radio? Also if you get iTunes Match can you get better audio quality? Spotify radio sucks, but listen to pandoras crappy quality is even worse so I'm hoping iTunes Radio is somewhere in the middle of those two. Good song selection and decent audio is all I really want from internet radio.

Should be the same as iTunes Match files, 256kb AAC. I can't tell the difference in quality between the songs I own and the iTunes Radio songs.

For those that want to dismiss iTunes Radio and think the business model is wrong, you are leaving out one very important point. Both Spotify and Pandora are losing money or barely scraping by. They can't stay in business forever with the model they are using. iTunes Radio is a great way to listen to music that you like, but also a great way to discover news songs to buy. I've actually bought about $25 worth of songs since I started listening to iTunes Radio. That's the beauty, it's free, and if you really like a song, you can buy it and listen to it at any time later. You can even check the history at the end of the day for that one new song you heard that you liked, but didn't know what it was. So basically, any money I put into it, I get something I own in return.

$xx/mnth for renting the rights to listen to music is stupid. I don't understand why people think this is the future. In the future I'd like to own the things I like.

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
They say video adds that consume the whole screen on IOS and Mac? Does this mean while I'm at work I can't use iRadio as it would take over my screen? I hope I'm just mis reading this, I can't let my work mac get taken over during a screen share on a conf call while iRadio is minimized.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How is it unusable? Like I said I use match alot and I haven't had any issues so I'm surious what issues you have encountered.

It has matched about 17,000 songs for me. Quite a lot that were imported from LPs. And the songs that it didn't match, it uploaded without problems.

When I buy music, I check where it is cheapest. If it's cheaper at Amazon, download from Amazon, wait a bit, and it's up in iTunes Match without a fail.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
hundreds

Those are canned radio stations. You have no choice of songs. iTunes radio is customized for you alone. You can choose music and skip songs you don't want to hear. It's a big difference.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
It has matched about 17,000 songs for me. Quite a lot that were imported from LPs. And the songs that it didn't match, it uploaded without problems.

When I buy music, I check where it is cheapest. If it's cheaper at Amazon, download from Amazon, wait a bit, and it's up in iTunes Match without a fail.

6800 minutes of music is 17K songs...do you do anything else but listen to music...?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Funny they show a pic of the new Daft Punk album when iTunes Radio said the artist wasn't supported to make a station.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.