Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks_icons_stack-250x205.jpg
Apple is currently planning a late October launch for OS X Mavericks, according to a report from 9to5Mac.
The late-October Mavericks release is planned so Apple could focus the majority of its software engineering resources on pushing out iOS 7 alongside the new iPhone hardware over the next couple of weeks.
For its past two major OS X updates, Apple has released the new software the day after an earnings release, and the report notes that the company could follow a similar pattern with Mavericks. Apple will release its September quarter earnings in late October, aligning with the rumored Mavericks launch timeframe.

Apple's other major operating system update, iOS 7, is set to arrive later this month alongside new iPhone hardware. The new iPhones are expected to be introduced at Apple's media event scheduled for next Tuesday, and based on Apple's previous patterns iOS 7 could launch to the public roughly a week later. The iPad version of iOS 7 may, however, be held back slightly and launched aside new iPad hardware within the next several months.

Update: AllThingsD has confirmed that Mavericks will be released in late October.

Article Link: Apple Targeting Late October for OS X Mavericks Launch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, I can't wait. I'm looking forward to iBooks on my MBP

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
I hope no one's surprised by this. Mavericks will be released alongside the new MacPro, MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini.

I believe the new iPads will also be released alongside the new Macs.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Sounds like a reasonable timeline. It will certainly help solidify my decision to hold off on purchasing a new iMac for a while.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Hey! They promised us Mavericks on September 10! What the??!

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Cannot wait for Mavericks to be released. No MAJOR changes, but enough of a performance boost on my 2009 iMac thanks to the compressed memory feature.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Well DP7 is a big improvement, so I'm thinking this means it will be fairly bullet-proof by then.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Late October is actually pretty good considering they said a Fall release. Technically, September is still considered summer until the 22nd. So releasing something 4-5 weeks into a new season is right on verses waiting until December.

Guess I'll just install ML over the weekend on my Mac Mini. I did the DIY Fusion install and was going to wait for Mav but 4-5 weeks is a long time.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Something something Haswell iMac / Mac Mini / Retina MacBook Pro

Just kidding (but really...)... very much looking forward to Mavericks. 3-4 hours of battery life on my 2011 MBA is meh

nathanlloyd

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
UK
Really hope that new iMacs get announced too with Mavericks pre-installed for the same kinda release schedule. :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
[rant]

Kinda wish they'd get more people on the development teams just so that Mac OS X isn't always placed on the back burner when it comes to iOS. I know iOS & Mac OS X share a lot of code, but there are so many things that can only be done on Mac OS X.

Until Apple adds the important producer apps on the iPad (Xcode, iBooks Author, etc.) and a few other things (multiuser support), I'm tired of iOS getting all the glory. I know iOS devices sell better, but maybe that's because Apple somewhat neglects everything else.

[/rant]

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
What's another 2 months in Apple's universe. The only bummer is I have to wait that time for the new Mac Pro....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.