Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I bet the demand for the 5S will be so astonishing that we won't see the bulk of the first deliveries until October or November. That's hardly a failure of Apple; the things do have to be manufactured and there are certainly capacity constraints.

I ordered my iPhone 5 on the second day it was available for order and didn't get it for almost 60 days.

That was from AT&T so maybe that was the reason, however.

I don't understand posters who don't think it's innovative. Who else has a 64 bit processor? Who else has a dedicated motion sensing processor? Who else has a fingerprint sensor? That's not innovation?

I'll have to pay a $300 early upgrade fee. Bummer. But it's worth it to have the best.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've just had a live chat on Apple's website, and have been basically told that no time has been announced yet for the UK Apple website. So this makes me wonder if it was a misprint in the emails that were sent out.

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-14%20at%2021.13.03.png

brooklyn10

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
I have a factory unlocked 4S. I'll be using T-Mobile's JUMP program to get the 6 next year, but am not passing up this 5S. I'm hoping there are no big lines at T-Mobile. They've already confirmed they will have all 5S models in stock.

I have a question about this. I emailed a Tmo associate about putting aside two phones for me (a gold 16gb 5s and a gold 64 gb 5s) and I was told that while he could put aside the 16gb, there would be no 64gb versions sold in any store (which I took to mean any carrier store. I'm waiting on his return email for confirmation of my assumption). So, is it not the case that Tmo won't carry any 64gbs? I really need a new phone and I'd prefer to get both phones on the same day, as I'm switching to a family plan.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My first-ever pre-order for any electronic device was my iPad mini. While I love this thing to death and it paid off, I believe I'll be sitting this one out and waiting for the next batch or two of 5S.'

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I bet the demand for the 5S will be so astonishing that we won't see the bulk of the first deliveries until October or November. That's hardly a failure of Apple; the things do have to be manufactured and there are certainly capacity constraints.

I ordered my iPhone 5 on the second day it was available for order and didn't get it for almost 60 days.

I don't understand posters who don't think it's innovative. Who else has a 64 bit processor? Who else has a dedicated motion sensing processor? Who else has a fingerprint sensor? That's not innovation?

I'll have to pay a $300 early upgrade fee. Bummer. But it's worth it to have the best.

Supply and demand only relative. It's not as simple as many thinks.

64 bit processor? dedicated motion sensing processor? fingerprint sensor? Those are all simple things blown out of proportion by apple. Apple marketing team is known for blowing simple things out of proportion and many people fall for it.

Wake up people. It's a dated phone refreshed using simple gimmics.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Lol, you know that there are NO 128gb Android phones, yeah?
Samsung has started limited runs of 128gb ssd, with no announcement of when they will arrive. Please don't try to counter with that sd card bs either.... everybody here knows internal memory is far superior.
Double capacity every year? Ok, buddy... Sure this 7th iteration of iPhone should have 1 terabyte of internal memory (original 16gb doubled six more times).

Waiter!!! I'll have what he's smoking!

I wonder how many costumers end up using more then 64GB, I know they are out there, just thinking of most. So once they get to that 128GB I imagine that could last for many years. They still need to work on starting at 32GB not 16GB and stop charging a hundred for for a 16GB jump, now that is extremely dated.

Going from 64GB to 128GB is one thing or even 32GB to 64GB. Memory upgrades were and are a bit slow to drop the dated 16GB edition. Doubling would be a bit far fetched as a yearly update.

Some of us worked our whole lives and are retired!

That could take people not thinking everyone on the internet is under thirty.

grabbyg

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
when will it delivery?

My question is: if you preorder on Friday, will it deliver on Monday? or the next day sat?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Well, guess I will order my iPhone 5s online...then check my local store to see if I can pick on up if supplies last.

Is anyone excited about getting there hands on the iPhone 5c to wait in line all day?

update: Going the pre-order (reservation) route with Target.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Lol, you know that there are NO 128gb Android phones, yeah?
Samsung has started limited runs of 128gb ssd, with no announcement of when they will arrive. Please don't try to counter with that sd card bs either.... everybody here knows internal memory is far superior.
Double capacity every year? Ok, buddy... Sure this 7th iteration of iPhone should have 1 terabyte of internal memory (original 16gb doubled six more times).

Waiter!!! I'll have what he's smoking!

Nice strawman. You must always feel like a winner when you put words in people's mouths and then belittle them.

This has nothing to do with Android. Apple used to double capacities with every major update to their iPod and iPhone lines but for some reason they stopped doing that when 64 GB became an option. This may be in part because of an emphasis on miniaturisation or disc speed in leu of capacity, or it may be a business decision to either increase their profit margin, be able to manufacture more iPhones or to push their iCloud/iTunes Match services. Whatever the case may be, Apple have stopped increasing capacities on their iOS devices and that is a bad thing because it limits their functionality in many ways. For example, game apps are getting bigger, HD video needs a lot of space and it is not possible to keep a large Apple Lossless music library in any iOS device.

Maybe instead of instinctively attacking anyone who criticises Apple you should acknowledge that with ever increasing app and media file size demands, the iPhone is lacking in this area and there is a lot of room for improvement. The new iPhone 5s is a great product but until Apple upgrade it with a 128 GB model, I for one will not buy it.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I wonder how many costumers end up using more then 64GB, I know they are out there, just thinking of most. So once they get to that 128GB I imagine that could last for many years. They still need to work on starting at 32GB not 16GB and stop charging a hundred for for a 16GB jump, now that is extremely dated.

Going from 64GB to 128GB is one thing or even 32GB to 64GB. Memory upgrades were and are a bit slow to drop the dated 16GB edition. Doubling would be a bit far fetched as a yearly update.

That could take people not thinking everyone on the internet is under thirty.

Agreed! My last 2 iPhones & iPads have been the "sweet spot" of 32gb.. since I get Apple Care, that adds $200 to the base price. I'd LOVE to see 32gb become the entry level.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Nice strawman. You must always feel like a winner when you put words in people's mouths and then belittle them.

This has nothing to do with Android. Apple used to double capacities with every major update to their iPod and iPhone lines but for some reason they stopped doing that when 64 GB became an option. This may be in part because of an emphasis on miniaturisation or disc speed in leu of capacity, or it may be a business decision to either increase their profit margin, be able to manufacture more iPhones or to push their iCloud/iTunes Match services. Whatever the case may be, Apple have stopped increasing capacities on their iOS devices and that is a bad thing because it limits their functionality in many ways. For example, game apps are getting bigger, HD video needs a lot of space and it is not possible to keep a large Apple Lossless music library in any iOS device.

Maybe instead of instinctively attacking anyone who criticises Apple you should acknowledge that with ever increasing app and media file size demands, the iPhone is lacking in this area and there is a lot of room for improvement. The new iPhone 5s is a great product but until Apple upgrade it with a 128 GB model, I for one will not buy it.

Idk wtf you are talking about.. Froth at the mouth much?? I was DIRECTLY responding to somebody that said Apple was stuck in 2008 by not having a 128gb iPhone option (intimating that there was at least SOMEBODY that is offering such an option), they went on to say that Apple should have been doubling capacities each gen at no additional cost, which would give us all one terabyte iPhones for $200. Sure.. I wish this too. I also want a free flying car. Equally likely & feasible.
While I DO completely agree that 128gb would be a cool option.... that is NOT what the op was asking for.. they were demanding the moon!

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

Apples usually well prepared for a vast number of orders, the key is simply to place your order as soon as is possible.

Last year I preordered my iPhone 5 from AT&T and it arrived at 10 am the same morning they began selling from the Apple store. It's nice not to have to stand in line.

I don't know anyone who waited as long as you did. That sounds like a very isolated example.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Apples usually well prepared for a vast number of orders, the key is simply to place your order as soon as is possible.

Last year I preordered my iPhone 5 from AT&T and it arrived at 10 am the same morning they began selling from the Apple store. It's nice not to have to stand in line.

I don't know anyone who waited as long as you did. That sounds like a very isolated example.

They almost certainly ordered it from an AT&T authorized retailer, NOT AT&T. The roll outs go to those stores about 60 days after Apple & corporate.. basically, when they reach supply parity. The stores do NOT tell the customers this & just act like Apple has them back ordered. OP probably got duped.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Well, guess I will order my iPhone 5s online...then check my local store to see if I can pick on up if supplies last.

Is anyone excited about getting there hands on the iPhone 5c to wait in line all day?

I don't think this will work unless you're paying full price. When you order online, your carrier will mark your account as having used your upgrade. Then, if you go to the store, if they have them- you'd have to cancel your order & wait for it to recognize that you now have your upgrade available again.
If you have two upgrades on the account, I suppose you'd be set....

electrofunky

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
My first-ever pre-order for any electronic device was my iPad mini. While I love this thing to death and it paid off, I believe I'll be sitting this one out and waiting for the next batch or two of 5S.'

Awesome. I found someone that has some common sense. All of the people I know who love Apple still don't understand why people are obsessed with getting day one, or waiting in lines etc.

I sell these devices all day, every day, but still stand by customers who do this being complete idiots. And I really love having my Apple products, but like all material objects, they can wait.

Behind the scenes. I hope these people know people who work in the industry and organising it all are laughing at them. Because we all are ;-) in between every desperate call, every store queue and so on.

I don't mean to offend, but speak honestly. It's a phone, it can wait.

Anyway, all of the above is my opinion. So please skim over and ignore if it offends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.