Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRez

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Oz prices for 5s = $869(16gig) to $1129(64gig)!! that's getting pretty high for a blummin phone. Gonna stick with my 5 for a while longer me thinks.

I have a feeling the 5c was the excuse to price bump the 5s :(

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I'm just worried that they'll run out of stock quickly. If I'm on right at 3 (EST) on a laptop and the apple store app, should I be ok to get one within the first batch?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
In Hong Kong, we can "reserve iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c online beginning at 6:00 a.m. on September 17 for pickup at an Apple Retail Store on September 20.* When you come in, we’ll help you pick the right rate plan, transfer your contacts, set up your email, and more." according to Apple's website. 6:00am :eek:

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
Steve would never allow this...

You should always be ready to meet demand on a new product... Also you should always be able to pre-order from day 1.

Poor decision by Cook.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Supply and demand only relative. It's not as simple as many thinks.

64 bit processor? dedicated motion sensing processor? fingerprint sensor? Those are all simple things blown out of proportion by apple. Apple marketing team is known for blowing simple things out of proportion and many people fall for it.

Wake up people. It's a dated phone refreshed using simple gimmics.

Well, I guess I have to ask-What WOULD be innovation in your view? Certainly not a bigger screen, NFC or that useless haptic feedback I get on my work phone (Samsung S3).

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Well, I guess I have to ask-What WOULD be innovation in your view? Certainly not a bigger screen, NFC or that useless haptic feedback I get on my work phone (Samsung S3).

I actually really like the haptic feedback on my S3, especially because I can tune it up or down, just to my liking. It's obviously a personal preference, so don't prematurely call it "useless" just because you feel that way.

Iamjhil

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
looked at target didn't see any 64g :(

I'm still up in the air about doing the online order or trying to find one in a store day one

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

If you need 128 GBs on your phone, my only assumption is that you're using it wrong.
  • Got a lot of music? iTunes Match
  • Want a lot of music? Spotify
  • Take a lot of photos or video? You need to sync your phone more often
  • Do you need 30 - 1GB games on your phone? Remove 20 of them
  • Netflix, Dropbox, Google, Skydrive, etc.

Why do you need 128 GBs? I'm seriously curious– not being rude.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I don't understand posters who don't think it's innovative. Who else has a 64 bit processor? Who else has a dedicated motion sensing processor? Who else has a fingerprint sensor? That's not innovation?

The 5S is a major engineering feat that the less technologically inclined can't appreciate because the only innovation they can see is the fingerprint sensor.

These same people are more likely to be impressed by a larger screen which is a trivial engineering challenge; and, one with as many UX drawbacks as benefits.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The 5S is a major engineering feat that the less technologically inclined can't appreciate because the only innovation they can see is the fingerprint sensor.

These same people are more likely to be impressed by a larger screen which is a trivial engineering challenge; and, one with as many UX drawbacks as benefits.

Yeah but arguably you get more mileage out of a larger screen than the "major engineering feat" of the 5S which no one will really use anyway. I'd like to revisit this in a year when the 6 comes out and see exactly which apps utilize 64bit processing, etc., my prediction: maybe a couple of games, although the initial showing of infinity blade III show it to be only marginally better looking than II, as an example of probably one of the most heavy duty games on the iOS platform.

I think in some circumstances people are impressed with simpler feats because they are actually useful. But I think you are also wrong in saying a larger screen is less technologically complex. Consider a lot of these larger screens are in the same size phone as last year, cutting bezel size down is probably not an easy thing to do technologically, and let's not forget the increased resolution while improving battery life with thinner phones. No it's not innovation, but it's certainly some impressive engineering IMO.

jldreyer

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
The 5C did not offer pick-up in Store on the 20th so I highly doubt that the 5S would.

I spoke to an Apple rep and they told me that if I order a 5s at 3:01am EST, which is 12:01 PT then I would be able to pick it up in-store on Friday. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

I can't wait for the 5s :)

Last edited:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Steve would never allow this...

You should always be ready to meet demand on a new product... Also you should always be able to pre-order from day 1.

Poor decision by Cook.

You must be just born and don't remember the iPhone, 3G, 3GS and 4 Launches.

They have never been able to meet demand regardless if they do online pre-ordering or not.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I spoke to an Apple rep and they told me that if I order a 5s at 3:01am EST, which is 12:01 PT then I would be able to pick it up in-store on Friday. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

I can't wait for the 5s :)

Several people have gotten told the exact opposite by Apple Reps, which is that pick-up in store would not be available on Friday.

But man that would be GREAT if you were right.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
That's the info needed to check your upgrade status. If you look online or at the Apple Store app, it asks the same info to tell you what your pricing will be.

I've never personally met our mobile guy since I work the front end of the store, and he wasn't in today. Does anyone think it's kind of strange that he took the last four digits of the social and billing account password? Nobody else has stated that they were asked for this information. Yet I trust our electronics team and don't think that they would try to scam me.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
If you need 128 GBs on your phone, my only assumption is that you're using it wrong.

What if I like having the photos and video I take on my phone, on my phone?
I can't remember the last time I logged into my computer to view photos. I do it daily with my iPhone.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I'm torn between ordering online, or chancing it and going to the Apple Store on Friday.

I just talked with AT&T and they said that if you order online, then your upgrade eligibility is "used up" right then. They couldn't answer for sure how long it would take to have that upgrade re-enabled if I canceled my order while waiting in line on Friday.

Decisions, decisions.....

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm torn between ordering online, or chancing it and going to the Apple Store on Friday.

I just talked with AT&T and they said that if you order online, then your upgrade eligibility is "used up" right then. They couldn't answer for sure how long it would take to have that upgrade re-enabled if I canceled my order while waiting in line on Friday.

Decisions, decisions.....

In the same boat as you. If I order online, will it be 2 weeks because of demand?

Than the other side is... go the the store, chance it to see if I can pick up a phone that day or will they end up just telling me they are sold out of the one I wanted. :-(

I guess online lets you save some time waiting in line, and you get the one you wanted.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC

I do have a lot of music, and I want it in lossless quality. I'm not willing to sacrifice that for iTunes Match. For the record, I do have iTunes Match. The annoying thing about having it enabled is that whenever I want to play a song that's not on my iPhone, it has to download, which causes a delay, especially when I'm in my car and it's going over AT&T's network. Which, also, uses up my bandwidth.

Spotify -- again, not willing to sacrifice quality.

I do not take a lot of photos, it's all music. I'm tired of shuffling it all around.

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
I do have a lot of music, and I want it in lossless quality. I'm not willing to sacrifice that for iTunes Match. For the record, I do have iTunes Match. The annoying thing about having it enabled is that whenever I want to play a song that's not on my iPhone, it has to download, which causes a delay, especially when I'm in my car and it's going over AT&T's network. Which, also, uses up my bandwidth.

Spotify -- again, not willing to sacrifice quality.

I do not take a lot of photos, it's all music. I'm tired of shuffling it all around.

Have you looked into the Sandisk Media Player? It has either 32 or 64 GB built in plus an SD card slot to add another 128. It creates its own wifi connection and the app lets you move files and/or stream to 5 devices. The battery lasts 8 hours and you can connect to your computer via USB as well as wifi.

I'm planning on getting one once they update the firmware to fix some teething issues.

They sell it at amazon and direct.

Edited to add: It is insanely small and would allow one to have all your music/photos/videos with you and accessible (once the firmware update allows better browser access) on your mac, ipad, iPhone, windows computer or android device.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
In the same boat as you. If I order online, will it be 2 weeks because of demand?

Than the other side is... go the the store, chance it to see if I can pick up a phone that day or will they end up just telling me they are sold out of the one I wanted. :-(

I guess online lets you save some time waiting in line, and you get the one you wanted.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that if I get my pre-order in right when it begins, I'll get a phone in a few days.

Giganova

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010

My experience from last year is: if you want one the most popular models, you need to be at the Apple store very early to score one! This year I suspect that the 16GB in gold will be sold out within an hour; However, if you want a 32 or 64 GB in white, you could probably show up at the Apple store at noon and still get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.