Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Supply and demand only relative. It's not as simple as many thinks.

64 bit processor? dedicated motion sensing processor? fingerprint sensor? Those are all simple things blown out of proportion by apple. Apple marketing team is known for blowing simple things out of proportion and many people fall for it.

Wake up people. It's a dated phone refreshed using simple gimmics.

Some people, as yourself, have difficulty extrapolating new technology to new capabilities. Fortunately, there are others that will take this technology and develop the apps that will take advantage of that technology and give the iPhone even more jobs to be done. Some of these I expect will appear quite quickly after the release of the 5S.

Your comment is really not different than the tech pundits, and CEO's of Apple competitors, that announced the original iPhone as a failure in the making on the very day of announcement.

Even the CEO of Samsung realizes the implications;

“Not in the shortest time. But yes, our next smartphones will have 64-bit processing functionality,” Shin said, adding he followed the media coverage of Apple’s new iPhone.

There are people much more farsighted than you creating those apps that will facilitate an explosion of secure mobile phone commerce, driven by Touch ID, M7 capabilities and iBeacon.

That is all.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Awesome. I found someone that has some common sense. All of the people I know who love Apple still don't understand why people are obsessed with getting day one, or waiting in lines etc.

I sell these devices all day, every day, but still stand by customers who do this being complete idiots. And I really love having my Apple products, but like all material objects, they can wait.

Behind the scenes. I hope these people know people who work in the industry and organising it all are laughing at them. Because we all are ;-) in between every desperate call, every store queue and so on.

I don't mean to offend, but speak honestly. It's a phone, it can wait.

Anyway, all of the above is my opinion. So please skim over and ignore if it offends.

People spend pretty significant money to go to a dusty, wind driven dry lake bed and live with a collection of very strange people and more than a few celebrities and tech CEO's.

I myself don't have much use for Burning Man, but I certainly get that others do.

Perhaps a nostalgic couple of days spent in line with these same people that you are laughing at would give you a broader outlook on life.

Unlike the few times that lines have formed for releases of competitor products to Apple, there will in fact be women in line at the iPhone releases.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012

64 bit processor? dedicated motion sensing processor? fingerprint sensor? Those are all simple things blown out of proportion by apple. Apple marketing team is known for blowing simple things out of proportion and many people fall for it.

I respect your right to be unimpressed. However... I am impressed! 64 bit processor. Wow, that's a first... & while it may seem exorbitant now.. or even overkill. You are ignorant if you don't think it's forward thinking. This is DEFENITELY where the market is headed. That is no bs & no gimmick. All phones & tablets will be 64 bit more sooner than later. Somebody had to be 1st. I don't understand how being first makes the next LOGICAL step in tech "gimmicky".
The ability to PURHASE via thumbprint. Wow, that's a first.... & while you may think "yeah, but it's limited to iTunes" & "that's not useful to me: my iTunes password is only eight characters with one cap and one numeral.. I enjoy typing in on a 4" virtual keyboard".. You are ignorant if you don't think it's forward thinking. This is DEFINITELY where the market is headed. All mobile devices will support secure transactions more sooner than later. I don't see how being the first to bring that in a manner that does not require you showing up at a specific retail that happens to support a fringe technology (current state of NFC) is "gimmicky".
I think, if anything, they tried to underhype the M7 chip.. as most news sources are claiming that it is a pathway towards functionality of the iWatch, but they just quickly mentioned it being helpful for mapping & fitness apps.. then moved on.

Speaking of gimmicky.... have you seen that new feature on Galaxy S4 called SoundShot? For ALL those times you've wanted to attach a 9 second clip of tinny phone audio to a still pic.... now you can! Ooh, & what about Air Gestures? Don't you hate touching the touchscreen on your touchscreen phone?? Oh... umm, you actually don't? Well, IF you did- you can now hover your hand a few millimeters ABOVE the screen instead and wave back & forth for some extremely limited functionality like turning up the volume of that tinny cellphone audio! Ooh, & speaking of "firsts".. did you see that "first to market" Galaxy smart watch?? Oh, what does it do? Umm... I'm not quite sure, but it's only $300 & it lasts most of one day per charge!

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Any one else looking forward to Apple Server over loads, crashing, orders hung up in check out and not processed?? Isn't there a better way to do this Apple?

Really?????

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I currently live in London and this would be my first iPhone. I am not planning on standing in a queue for an entire night to be one of the first to get the 5S on the 20th. Instead, I'm thinking of buying one on Saturday the 28th.

Do you guys think they will have their stock levels replenished by then?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Ok I'll bite. How is it a dated phone? What do other phones have that aren't gimmicks? If Samsung releases a 64 bit Galaxy phone next year will that be a gimmick too?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Interestingly enough, all S versions of iPhones have high demand.
I think its because versions 1, 3G, 4 and 5 have pioneered external design (with some internal changes, sometimes quite significant), while S versions always prioritized significant internal architecture changes always managing to present something new - albeit in previous design. This allows Apple actually work quite efficiently because you don't have to change design every year, while engineering and technology is updated regularly on annual basis (as well as software). Then users can choose what they prefer - design or new technology and upgrade accordingly. In my case, I bought 3GS, 4S and 5 so this time I'd rather wait for model 6 but I can see how for users of 3GS, 4 and 4S 5S will be a great upgrade.

Last edited:

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Awesome. I found someone that has some common sense. All of the people I know who love Apple still don't understand why people are obsessed with getting day one, or waiting in lines etc.

I sell these devices all day, every day, but still stand by customers who do this being complete idiots. And I really love having my Apple products, but like all material objects, they can wait.

Behind the scenes. I hope these people know people who work in the industry and organising it all are laughing at them. Because we all are ;-) in between every desperate call, every store queue and so on.

I don't mean to offend, but speak honestly. It's a phone, it can wait.

Anyway, all of the above is my opinion. So please skim over and ignore if it offends.

The reason I am ordering ASAP is that I have presold our 2 iPhone 4S's at nextworth to lock in the highest price by selling early. I have 30 days to have the 4s's received by them to ensure payment of the quote.

That encourages me to get in early online.

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
I just went to my local Target which is in Northern NJ and it does a fairly large volume. I managed to preorder the 32GB space gray 5S. Turns out I was only the 2nd preorder and the other was a 16gb so the manager told me I an virtually assured of getting one on launch day.

Bill

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I don't think this will work unless you're paying full price. When you order online, your carrier will mark your account as having used your upgrade. Then, if you go to the store, if they have them- you'd have to cancel your order & wait for it to recognize that you now have your upgrade available again.
If you have two upgrades on the account, I suppose you'd be set....

When you cancel you upgrade come back immediately.

CruiseToGo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
If anyone is doubting the Target "preorder" option for the 5s. I went to my local target store yesterday, mentioned getting on the list, the store associate knew exactly what I wanted. I was placed 3rd on the list and ordered the att space gray 32gb. The associate said he would personally call me, but I will also receive an email that I had 48 hours to respond to. Btw, I did not have to leave any deposit or purchase target gift card and I will be able to use an AT&T upgrade to get the 5s.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

Nope, I have never used more than 16 gigs of a 32gig. 128gb is overkill and I Can't justify that. Secondly 4s and 4 are super slow. Give up the old tech.

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
People are probably wary of what more the 5S has to offer on top of the iPhone 5 (which will skyrocket in value since the 5C sucks and the 5 is no longer in circulation) That fingerprint sensor may be cool, but I'd wait for honest product tests before I jump that train.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a question about this. I emailed a Tmo associate about putting aside two phones for me (a gold 16gb 5s and a gold 64 gb 5s) and I was told that while he could put aside the 16gb, there would be no 64gb versions sold in any store (which I took to mean any carrier store. I'm waiting on his return email for confirmation of my assumption). So, is it not the case that Tmo won't carry any 64gbs? I really need a new phone and I'd prefer to get both phones on the same day, as I'm switching to a family plan.

Traditionally T-Mobile has chosen not to carry anything other than the lowest capacity model of all phones in their stores. I assume it will be the same way with the 5S but no one knows for sure until the stock starts arriving later this week.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I wonder how many costumers end up using more then 64GB, I know they are out there, just thinking of most. So once they get to that 128GB I imagine that could last for many years. They still need to work on starting at 32GB not 16GB and stop charging a hundred for for a 16GB jump, now that is extremely dated.

Going from 64GB to 128GB is one thing or even 32GB to 64GB. Memory upgrades were and are a bit slow to drop the dated 16GB edition. Doubling would be a bit far fetched as a yearly update.

That could take people not thinking everyone on the internet is under thirty.

Which also requires them to not know that the people who invented computers and the Internet are now it their 60's and above. At least those of us that are still alive are.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Comparing 5s to 4S? No

As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

lmao. LTE alone justifies it over your 4S. Keep dreaming. Aside from LTE, there is way better camera, lighter, thinner, much, much faster, and better form factor (purely subjective).

iceache

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
If anyone is doubting the Target "preorder" option for the 5s. I went to my local target store yesterday, mentioned getting on the list, the store associate knew exactly what I wanted. I was placed 3rd on the list and ordered the att space gray 32gb. The associate said he would personally call me, but I will also receive an email that I had 48 hours to respond to. Btw, I did not have to leave any deposit or purchase target gift card and I will be able to use an AT&T upgrade to get the 5s.

I checked my local Target... and basically my order is in queue.. not so much a preorder. I'm just on the list and potentially could get it after launch day. It's a cool idea but not really a preorder. Also, it's for upgrade or new service or adding a new line. They told me I colded use my early upgrades on my other lines. I decided to get on the list for the one line and will still try waiting at my local Apple store. I have 4 lines that I'm trying to get on 5Ss. Wondering if they will limit how many I get. Last year I was able to get 3 iPhone 5 preorders online w/ no issues. Fun times.

e.malmquist

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Target

I work at target and I went to our mobile center on break today. Our mobile guy wasn't in, but the electronics people gave me his cell number to call.

I called and told him I was referred to this number in hopes to pre-order the iPhone 5s. I told him I wanted the Silver 32gb, and asked if this could be linked to my Verizon upgrade. He said yes and took down the last 4 digits of the account holder's social, and the billing account password. Along with my color and storage. He also took my email and phone number and said I would be notified when my phone arrived. He said that it is most likely that it will be here on the 20th.

I've never personally met our mobile guy since I work the front end of the store, and he wasn't in today. Does anyone think it's kind of strange that he took the last four digits of the social and billing account password? Nobody else has stated that they were asked for this information. Yet I trust our electronics team and don't think that they would try to scam me.

**On a side note, sign up for a Redcard when you pick it up (Credit or Debit card) and save yourself 5% on your purchase of the 5s ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.