Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A product listing for the Retina iPad mini with a release date of November 21 has appeared on Target.com, suggesting Apple's new tablet could make its debut on the Thursday before Thanksgiving. Thus far, Apple has not provided a prospective release date for its iPad mini with Retina Display, offering up only broad November launch plans.

retina_ipad_mini_space_gray_silver.jpg
While the November 21 launch date listed on the Target website could be a simple guess by the company, it is a logical release day for the tablet because it falls before Thanksgiving and more importantly, before Black Friday, which is a major shopping holiday in the United States.

A late November launch also gives Apple an opportunity to focus its attention on the iPad Air for the majority of the month. It is unclear, however, why Apple would choose to launch the Retina mini on a Thursday, as product releases typically fall on a Friday.

target_retina_ipad_mini_nov21.jpg
Apple's Retina iPad mini, which includes an A7 processor, is said to be in very short supply. According to a recent report, stock of the Retina iPad mini will be "ridiculously tight" until early 2014.

Though supplies of the Retina mini will be low, Apple is said to have a large quantity of iPad Airs available for purchase, which will likely alleviate some of the demand for the smaller tablet. Apple's iPad Air will go on sale this Friday, with online orders beginning at 12:01 AM in the United States and at varying times in other countries.

(Thanks, Tony!)

Article Link: Product Listing Suggests Retina iPad Mini Could Launch on November 21

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I am actually switching from a mini to an air for this release cycle. I love my mini but I have always said an 'in between' would be perfect for me. So I am picking up an iPad Air Friday. If it is still too big for my needs, my wife will hopefully appreciate her Christmas present of a nice slightly used Air! The delay of the release helped push me over the edge into trying this new slimmer model.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
if mini doesn't have 1gb of ram, then I'm going back to full sized ipad

We have no confirmation yet but it's pretty safe to assume the Retina mini will have 1GB RAM.

If even the iPad 3 (with a significantly weaker SoC) had 1GB, I doubt Apple would give 512MB to the mini, otherwise it would be the first Retina iPad to have so little RAM. 512MB would be tight for 64 bit apps with Retina assets.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Did not know Target.com was in on the iPad Mini 2! Now another source to buy the Mini 2 from! Interesting!

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I think I'm going to do the mini, not the Air. So on the line, but between the ability to hold it one-handed for extended periods, and having the same pixel density as the iPhone 5/5s/5c... It's just going to be crazy crazy nice. If the extra .3mm of depth isn't too much to keep it from working in my Logitech Bluetooth Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, EXTRA WIN. I'm hopeful that it will work, it seems like it could accommodate a very very slightly thicker device...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Well that's almost end of the month. when Apple say "coming later in november" I'm thinking november 30th.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I think I'm going to do the mini, not the Air. So on the line, but between the ability to hold it one-handed for extended periods, and having the same pixel density as the iPhone 5/5s/5c... It's just going to be crazy crazy nice. If the extra .3mm of depth isn't too much to keep it from working in my Logitech Bluetooth Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, EXTRA WIN. I'm hopeful that it will work, it seems like it could accommodate a very very slightly thicker device...

SON OF A GUN!!!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-mini?crid=1240

:D

So happy it seems like it will work fine with the new Retina mini! Decision made! Retina mini it is!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's been a hard choice but I think that the easiest way to differentiate the iPad Air from the iPad mini has been obvious all along. Focus on your main use.

Mostly using it for consumption stuff like browsing, reading books, light app use? iPad mini is more portable, easier to hold longer and carry around. Using an iPad for work, need to type often or draw on its screen? The larger screen on the iPad Air is better for work, specially if you plan on using it as a laptop replacement.

Content consumption versus production is the key to the choice between the Air versus the mini. It's not a flawless method but it's very useful.

I've replaced my MacBookPro 17" with a top spec iMac 27" and was looking at a MacBookAir for mobile use but have held off because of a hunch that the iPad would get powerful enough by this generation to run desktop class apps. I wasn't wrong: iLife and iWork are now featured matched to the Mac, Logic has its companion app and Aperture is a good candidate for one as well. I think that an iPad Air can fulfill the role of a MacBookAir for most practical purposes.

So iPad Air it is for me. Friday! :)

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
I sold my iPad 1 64 GB with 3G earlier this year, and I've been eagerly waiting for the the new iPads to come out in hopes of getting a good price on the iPad 4. However the iPad Air isn't just faster, but smaller and lighter. Damn you Apple, I can't help but give you my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.