Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
How does Apple continue to get away with these horrific supply chain constraints? Why can't they get these launches right? Tell us about a product and then sell it. They should be able to leverage some of their cash, market share, or otherwise to get these products to launch more smoothly. It's downright scary to think about how big and powerful they could be if every person that wanted an Apple device could get one as soon as they wanted it.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I think Mini vs Air comes down to use. If you have and mostly use a laptop at home, the larger iPad seems superfluous. Thats why I like the Mini for when i'm in between home and work or when travelling. it fits in a pocket. At home, I default to laptop always because the screen is bigger (and retina) and can type faster on the keyboard.

If I only had a desktop at home then I could easily justify the Air for when I wanted to surf while laying on the sofa.

Gruber did a great job in his post on this dilemma:

http://daringfireball.net/2013/10/the_ipad_air

Decisions, decisions..... This is an excellent review by Gruber, but I still cannot make up my mind. I have a MacBook Pro early 2008 with Mavericks and it till works great.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
if mini doesn't have 1gb of ram, then I'm going back to full sized ipad

The AnandTech review digs into this a bit.
Anandtech said:
In general you’re looking at a 20 - 30% increase in memory footprint when dealing with an all 64-bit environment. At worst, the device’s total memory usage never exceeded 60% of what ships with the platform but these are admittedly fairly light use cases. With more apps open, including some doing work in the background, I do see relatively aggressive eviction of apps from memory. The most visible case is when Safari tabs have to be reloaded upon switching to them. Applications being evicted from memory don’t tend to be a huge problem since the A7 can reload them quickly.

Source

Apple basically HAS to put 1GB of RAM in the new Mini due to 64-bit architecture.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
Hm. Nice to see a possible release date, but not sure I'd plan on getting one from Target.

They still haven't called me to let me know my "pre-ordered" 5s is available. (Good thing I snagged one somewhere else.)

I'm planning on passing my iPad 3 to my husband to replace his Asus tablet, and picking up a Mini Retina. I love the 3, but it's just too large and heavy to carry in my purse. Mini will work much better for me.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think Mini vs Air comes down to use. If you have and mostly use a laptop at home, the larger iPad seems superfluous. Thats why I like the Mini for when i'm in between home and work or when travelling. it fits in a pocket. At home, I default to laptop always because the screen is bigger (and retina) and can type faster on the keyboard.

If I only had a desktop at home then I could easily justify the Air for when I wanted to surf while laying on the sofa.

That’s some pretty solid reasoning. It’s about 90% likely we’re going to go from our 4th Gen to an rMini this time around. The Air appears to be pretty fantastic, but that extra bit of portability, less weight, etc., without any performance (assuming here a bit…) hit, does create a little more separation between our notebooks and tablets. Plus we share with our 5.5yr/old, so it’ll make it that much easier for her to use, even over the Air.

:cool:

Zudeo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Toronto, ON
So, I sold my iPad 3 a few months ago and got a Google Nexus 7 for my birthday. Now, I like to read comics on it and I found the iPad 3's 9.7" 4:3 display was perfect for reading them. With the Nexus 7 I find that I have to pan around each panel just to read anything. It's a less enjoyable experience. }

My question is for those who have an iPad Mini -- have you tried using the Marvel Unlimited app for comics and is it as good as a full sized iPad for reading them? That's basically the deciding factor here -- I love the Mini's portability but apparently the Air is almost as light and smaller in every way. I do watch a lot of videos so that's on pro for the Air.

Any comments are appreciated!

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
My question is for those who have an iPad Mini -- have you tried using the Marvel Unlimited app for comics and is it as good as a full sized iPad for reading them?

The retina Mini has the same 2048x1536 pixel dimensions as the full-size iPad, so it should look the same, just smaller.

vi2867

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
It was the same date for last year. I wish Apple would allow pre-orders on November 14th, this way I won't have to stand in line on November 21st.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Mostly using it for consumption stuff like browsing, reading books, light app use? iPad mini is more portable, easier to hold longer and carry around. Using an iPad for work, need to type often or draw on its screen? The larger screen on the iPad Air is better for work, specially if you plan on using it as a laptop replacement.

iPad Air if your eyesight isn't what it used to be. The full size iPad works very well for my parents, getting less screen didn't do well, as in the Fire they tried was too tiny

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
If it weren't for these retailer "mistakes", we'd have to wait…

Wait. We still have to wait.

Apples busy attempting to catch up for the past year squandered as they rested on their laurels. While the profit taking they did during that period benefited the company, they fell behind technically. I'm sure in the next year or so they will pull even with the rest, it's just a shame they wasted time.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Um, the laws of physics and reality?
Whiny much?

Physics and reality? Come on. This is simple. Announce a product, then launch it. If you don't have it then don't tease it. Not whining. I could care less about availability right now. It just seems dumb to launch a new product out of stock.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oh good, at least people can go for the Air if they can't get the mini. and pay more for it... :D

So, Apple just magically waved their magic wand and ...hey presto..... we now are not as stuck as we thought we were....

Something smells fishy here...

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Doesn't the Xbox one come out on the 22nd? I could see them not wanting to share the spotlight on that day. So maybe the 21st makes sense. Personally?!? I'd rather it be the 22nd,since I have that day off to get my xbox one :)

I agree with all point here since I'm expecting my new Xbox on the 22nd as well.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
I'm pretty much in this camp. :D

I actually stayed strong and held off. I checked out the Air in the store and it is still a little bigger than I really want. Looking forward to the mini 2 release - it's pretty great they decided to pack the same specs as the Air into it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Apples busy attempting to catch up for the past year squandered as they rested on their laurels. While the profit taking they did during that period benefited the company, they fell behind technically. I'm sure in the next year or so they will pull even with the rest, it's just a shame they wasted time.

Yeah, Apple pretty much sat on their asses all this past year. The only things those lazy bastards could come up with were...

-Touch ID, which every phone will be copying next year.

-A compete redesign of their desktop tower.

-An overhaul of OS X.

-iOS7.

-All new routers.

-Updates across their entire notebook line.

-Two measly game changing tablets that they couldn't even think up original names for.

-Deploying other useless crap like 64bit, WiFi A/C, iTunes Radio, etc.

C'MON APPLE!!! WHERE THE $&@! IS MY MIND-CONTROLLED SELF-POWERED HOVERBOARD??? GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND INNOVATE ALREADY!!!

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Yeah, Apple pretty much sat on their asses all this past year. The only things those lazy bastards could come up with were...

-Touch ID, which every phone will be copying next year.

-A compete redesign of their desktop tower.

-An overhaul of OS X.

-iOS7.

-All new routers.

-Updates across their entire notebook line.

-Two measly game changing tablets that they couldn't even think up original names for.

-Deploying other useless crap like 64bit, WiFi A/C, iTunes Radio, etc.

C'MON APPLE!!! WHERE THE $&@! IS MY MIND-CONTROLLED SELF-POWERED HOVERBOARD??? GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND INNOVATE ALREADY!!!

Ha Ha, very good, you've certainly made macred look a bit stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.