Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I've replaced my MacBookPro 17" with a top spec iMac 27" and was looking at a MacBookAir for mobile use but have held off because of a hunch that the iPad would get powerful enough by this generation to run desktop class apps. I wasn't wrong: iLife and iWork are now featured matched to the Mac, Logic has its companion app and Aperture is a good candidate for one as well. I think that an iPad Air can fulfill the role of a MacBookAir for most practical purposes.

So iPad Air it is for me. Friday! :)

In most cases those applications are very stripped down and don't compare to their desktop versions. I've already tried to do what you are planning and it just doesn't work that way with an iPad. iPad is a consumption device plain and simple. Apple can try to convince us otherwise, but for those of us that hoped and tried it just couldn't make it work well enough. There are even web sites like ADP's payroll web site that you just can't use because of the inability for it to scroll on the mobile browser... I could go on and on... Hopefully you don't do many of the things that I and many others do that has us now going back to Macbook Pro's and MacBook Airs so we can actually do some work.

The Air is great, but not for productivity!

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Wish I could stop reading the words "rediculously tight". Some analyst comes up with this phrase and ive had to read it so many times since, as if "rediculously tight" is some quantitative measure of supply constraint and that this phrase has any meaning.

Mplomin

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Wish I could stop reading the words "rediculously tight". Some analyst comes up with this phrase and ive had to read it so many times since, as if "rediculously tight" is some quantitative measure of supply constraint and that this phrase has any meaning.

"Some analyst" was Tim Cook.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
iPad is a consumption device plain and simple. (...)
The Air is great, but not for productivity!

Tell that to all the doctors, farmers, airline pilots, on site engineers, photographers, musicians, store/cafe/restaurant/food truck/name-a-small-business owners who depend on iPads to make their work easier and better performing each and every day.

iPads have grown to replace laptops for many professionals. If there are outdated websites that don't run on webkit, then they either need to catch up or find themselves replaced by competing products.

As a photographer, I will use an iPad in the studio in a client's hands as I shoot so they can see the results instantly and make suggestions. I will use an iPad in the field, making quick edits for use on my client's social media and for backing JPGs to my Dropbox. If Aperture X does for iPad what Logic X did, in the studio, I will use an iPad to quickly control the heads up display sliders and curve graphs via touch to make it so much faster to optimize a photograph.

Consumption device my ass. :rolleyes:

ipad-mini-phil-schiller.jpg

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I guess this could launch on Black Friday (November 28), and the people who buy it on launch day could get fresh discounts! (me included, or maybe not) :D

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Doesn't the Xbox one come out on the 22nd? I could see them not wanting to share the spotlight on that day. So maybe the 21st makes sense. Personally?!? I'd rather it be the 22nd,since I have that day off to get my xbox one :)

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
For the Mini Retina to have expected sellouts it must be a more sought after item than the air which seems plentiful. Sorry guys the Mini is a far sexier design with a far vibrant screen. I will be another person holding off for the mini wave.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
With retina, it makes a fine e-book reader. And it's big enough for enjoying my chess apps.
In this new Mini, I am very interested! After my emigration, exwife started to punish my for everything she did wrong in our marriage - so I am chronically very low on money. When I am writing, that I am "very interested" in a device, it means, the thingy is a real killer :)

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Bah, I am really struggling with which to get. I know I'd love the Air as much as the mini. I take lots of notes at work so the extra real estate would be used and welcome and I do enjoy the big screen. Every time I've had a 7-8" tablet I am always left wanting more, even though I live the smaller footprint. I am leaning more towards the air right now due to the reduction in size and weight while keeping real estate the same. Not only that, I can easily pick one up on Friday.

But dang, the mini at $100 cheaper, (probably) the same performance, and even smaller and lighter, but at the cost of shorter supply and having to wait a few more weeks.

I'm still leaning towards the Air even though the mini is extremely tempting.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007

I agree with you but if you really think about it, what normal/average consumer reads these forums or even is aware of this "Ridiculously tight" inventory? I think we'll be alright.

With retina, it makes a fine e-book reader. And it's big enough for enjoying my chess apps.
In this new Mini, I am very interested! After my emigration, exwife started to punish my for everything she did wrong in our marriage - so I am chronically very low on money. When I am writing, that I am "very interested" in a device, it means, the thingy is a real killer :)

Best post all week.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Fake? Terminology seems off on two points. Or, if it's not, standards are slipping badly. Don't remember "webcam" or "lightening" before. But if I'm wrong (I have been...) I'll go back to my cave. :D

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I've just put my mini on eBay hoping to claw back some of the outlay.

I still don't know which new iPad to get though - the mini was almost the perfect tablet but the lack of power for games and low PPi were the issues. Now they don't exist anymore I should be screaming for the retina one but that Air is still so tempting..

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple is clearly doing everything it can to get the Mini out in decent quantities for the holiday season. I just wish I had to opportunity to try both the Air and the Mini in person and then get one in a timely manner. I think the only way to get a Mini before Christmas will be to order it as soon as it's released based on best guesses and hunches. Apple really wants us to buy both ;)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If it weren't for these retailer "mistakes", we'd have to wait…

Wait. We still have to wait.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Interesting that the ipad air has moved to erase the main advantages of the mini (weight, size) and the mini has moved to erase the main advantages of the air (CPU & Retina).

My tasks are ereader (which favors mini) and kid homework assistant and entertainment device (web, games) which favors the air.

aaarrrgh

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I just wish I had to opportunity to try both the Air and the Mini in person and then get one in a timely manner. I think the only way to get a Mini before Christmas will be to order it as soon as it's released based on best guesses and hunches. Apple really wants us to buy both ;)

Just try and Air and the current mini. Wont be much noticeable difference in the size and weight of the current one, and we're pretty sure the performance will be identical.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
For the Mini Retina to have expected sellouts it must be a more sought after item than the air which seems plentiful. Sorry guys the Mini is a far sexier design with a far vibrant screen. I will be another person holding off for the mini wave.

Or the late date could be a ploy by Apple to make compulsive people buy the iPad Air first. Remember the fact that the full size iPad is their main device and the iPad mini is the second item of choice.

Anything is possible really. It could just be a production glitch. Either way the mini with retina does sound appealing.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I think Mini vs Air comes down to use. If you have and mostly use a laptop at home, the larger iPad seems superfluous. Thats why I like the Mini for when i'm in between home and work or when travelling. it fits in a pocket. At home, I default to laptop always because the screen is bigger (and retina) and can type faster on the keyboard.

If I only had a desktop at home then I could easily justify the Air for when I wanted to surf while laying on the sofa.

Gruber did a great job in his post on this dilemma:

http://daringfireball.net/2013/10/the_ipad_air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.