Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

latinguy72

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
I think that holding back the physical release was smart since it didn't allow the album to be saturated within the pirate community before release (though I'm sure it is by now). I suspect we'll see a lot more of this digital release-window exclusivity in the future.

Sorry but this is inaccurate. The album was on pirated sites within a couple of hours. I checked one of the most famous sites the following morning (PirateBay) and thousands of people were already downloading it.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
If Apple keeps 30% she has made about $9.8 Million already.
I wish I had that kind of iTunes store revenue. :)

Yeah before you deduct for music videos, points for the producers and writers (for whatever she didn't write), the labels cut, but I'm sure she still took a SERIOUS cut!

----------

Simple. iTunes is digital. It broke the digital record. The album isn't available physically yet.

Cds are digital too.

CD-DA - the second D stands for digital

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Sorry but this is inaccurate. The album was on pirated sites within a couple of hours. I checked one of the most famous sites the following morning (PirateBay) and thousands of people were already downloading it.

I saw it on my favorite warez site the day before.

If i knew what it was I would have downloaded it then

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
[rant]
Not related to Beyonce (actually, it is related), but I'm not a fan of flooding the entire iTMS home page with a single artist/album. Since I'm not into her music, I rather have my "own" personal home page or at least, not be forced to look deeper to find what I usually find right on the home page.
[/rant]

Anyway, nice for her (and her boyfriend... and her agent... and her record company)!

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton

I said before release; not a couple of hours after, and I acknowledged that it would be after release. My comment was accurate in that "Beyoncé" wasn't saturated within the pirate community before release since no one was out there ripping an early copy of the physical release a couple of weeks beforehand.

People like immediacy and if an album leaks, I think a lot of people (not all) will just pirate it since they want to hear it as soon as possible. I'm sure plenty of people were cheap and just waited to pirate it anyway, but IMHO it's better to have the first source for an album to be iTunes rather than piracy.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Cd?

I'm not buying anymore digital albums, I'll wait for the CD/DVD version to get released.

----------

I saw it on my favorite warez site the day before.

If i knew what it was I would have downloaded it then

So basically you are saying if you knew what you were stealing you definitely would have stole it. What a *****.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I'm not buying anymore digital albums, I'll wait for the CD/DVD version to get released.

----------

So basically you are saying if you knew what you were stealing you definitely would have stole it. What a *****.

I don't steal, I download files that are offered to me.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I see she used that photo of her posing in front of some old lady's house in Brunswick, Melbourne, Australia.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I see she used that photo of her posing in front of some old lady's house in Brunswick, Melbourne, Australia.

I was going to mention that.. Not only did she play the video off to be in a run down part of town, but The Age actually described that part of town as rather hipster and modern.

BL.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I assume you're joking.

It's a real shame that in 2013 the music industry is still dominated by clever marketing over good content. Wiggle your fat ass in a music video and you sell loads of records whether or not you can actually sing. Tragic. No wonder the music industry is going down the toilet.

Beyoncé is one of the few artists out there with pitch perfect hearing. Let alone the quality and range of her voice. No auto tune. But you are clearly one of these talk **** now and screw the truth later types

----------

Okay.. flame suit is ready, so anyone who gets uptight about it, fire away.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a 'record breaker'. Let's do the math here. From the OP:

This means that to make that 828773 number, another 211,560 albums were sold in that three days time. But let's also just take the US numbers alone. That 617,213 was in three days. So let's whack that into thirds:

617213 / 3 = 205737 albums per day.

By contrast, on VH1 Classic Albums: Hysteria, Mercury Records VP David Leach mentioned that during the run of Def Leppard's Hysteria, because of Pour Some Sugar On Me, they had sold 450,000 copies of Hysteria, in one day.

That's nearly going Gold, in one day, where Gold is 500,000 albums sold.

Beyonce's album sales per day still has another 250,000 to go to even catch Hysteria, and that was done 27 years ago.

So how has this broken any records?

BL.

Just a question, but did def leopard do this with no advertisement, release date, publicity, public knowledge of when and where to buy it?? If so, then yes, that is quite impressive. That's the most impressive thing about this for me. She did it with no advertising whatsoever, and was number 1 in 104 countries within three hours of unpublicized release.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Beyoncé is one of the few artists out there with pitch perfect hearing. Let alone the quality and range of her voice. No auto tune. But you are clearly one of these talk **** now and screw the truth later types

Pitch perfect? LOL. The truth is she can't sing and you only have to listen to her live to hear that. Quality and range? Please! Open your mind, forget the spin and try listening to some true singers. The difference is like night and day if you have a decent Hi Fi system.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
Pitch perfect? LOL. The truth is she can't sing and you only have to listen to her live to hear that. Quality and range? Please! Open your mind, forget the spin and try listening to some true singers. The difference is like night and day if you have a decent Hi Fi system.

Name some true singers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.