Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Okay.. flame suit is ready, so anyone who gets uptight about it, fire away.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a 'record breaker'. Let's do the math here. From the OP:

The album sold 617,213 copies in the U.S.

This means that to make that 828773 number, another 211,560 albums were sold in that three days time. But let's also just take the US numbers alone. That 617,213 was in three days. So let's whack that into thirds:

617213 / 3 = 205737 albums per day.

By contrast, on VH1 Classic Albums: Hysteria, Mercury Records VP David Leach mentioned that during the run of Def Leppard's Hysteria, because of Pour Some Sugar On Me, they had sold 450,000 copies of Hysteria, in one day.

That's nearly going Gold, in one day, where Gold is 500,000 albums sold.

Beyonce's album sales per day still has another 250,000 to go to even catch Hysteria, and that was done 27 years ago.

So how has this broken any records?

BL.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I do not really care about Beyonce Apple I rather see Apple fix the Netflix streaming issue on Apple TV instead.:mad:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Virtually?

Can you pick out the difference between iTunes files and lossess versions in a blind ABX test? Have you even tried it?

Although I'm sure Apple could make a few extra bucks selling lossless files to people who can't hear the difference. Maybe not enough to be worth the trouble though.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a 'record breaker'.

Who said it was a record breaker?

It is the fastest selling release on iTunes, which would be a record. I don't think any records have been claimed beyond that.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Okay.. flame suit is ready, so anyone who gets uptight about it, fire away.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a 'record breaker'. Let's do the math here. From the OP:

This means that to make that 828773 number, another 211,560 albums were sold in that three days time. But let's also just take the US numbers alone. That 617,213 was in three days. So let's whack that into thirds:

617213 / 3 = 205737 albums per day.

By contrast, on VH1 Classic Albums: Hysteria, Mercury Records VP David Leach mentioned that during the run of Def Leppard's Hysteria, because of Pour Some Sugar On Me, they had sold 450,000 copies of Hysteria, in one day.

That's nearly going Gold, in one day, where Gold is 500,000 albums sold.

Beyonce's album sales per day still has another 250,000 to go to even catch Hysteria, and that was done 27 years ago.

BL.

The music industry changed when the internet became mainstream. and continues to go on a downslope
nowadays, 800,000 album sales is a great quantity for a YEAR of sales.

the record would have been from the past couple of years.

EDIT:
just re-reed, it's a record-breaking iTunes album sales

I do not really care about Beyonce Apple I rather see Apple fix the Netflix streaming issue on Apple TV instead.:mad:

then why did you click on this link? lol

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is true: Quality is subjective. Popularity is objective.

Assuming you measure popularity via sales yes.

----------

She might end up selling a million albums in a week, that doesn't happen much any more, and that's all on iTunes. No wonder they were wiling to give her all the promotional slots.

I was rather annoyed by that. Either mix it up or freeze the carousel. But four-six of the same thing bleech

----------

Yep she eliminated the middle man.

Not really. She just perhaps broke away from her label so Apple was the only middle man.

----------

talentless hack just like lady gaga....

I'll say the same thing to you that is said to many an android fanboi. Must really squeeze your nuts that they get so many sales

----------

This. I can't believe that it's 2013 and they don't sell lossless. I'd definitely pay a few bucks more.

Apple doesn't sell lossless for the same reason TV shows have few to no features and they and movies are no where near bluray quality.

The content owners still think physical discs are king. Until the labels and studios get with the game, Apple can't do anything

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
"All music on the iTunes Store comes in iTunes Plus®, Apple’s DRM-free format with high-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings."

Virtually?

No thanks. If you can't even match CD quality (44.1 16 bit PCM) then I'll keep my money.

Not a fan of "virtually the same quality" are you?

So I would be correct in thinking that you don't own a TV and never watch videos on your computer? Because, after all, there has yet to be a consumer format that displays all the detail of the original film, so I guess it's just movie theaters or nothing for you, yeah?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

[insert joke about digital only release and broken vinyl...]

I guess it's just a record for iTunes; and possibly for a digital release.

Smart work by her management, IMO. By committing to iTunes only, they really get Apple on-board to promote the album as much as she/they do. I'm sure there'll be other exclusives, but they might not get the same coverage as this one.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
And they managed to keep the whole thing secret until release, that might be most impressive of all.

Apple could learn a thing or two from her about keeping things from leaking :D

I wish other types of music besides pop got this type of promotional treatment though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
[insert joke about digital only release and broken vinyl...]

I guess it's just a record for iTunes; and possibly for a digital release.

Smart work by her management, IMO. By committing to iTunes only, they really get Apple on-board to promote the album as much as she/they do. I'm sure there'll be other exclusives, but they might not get the same coverage as this one.

Now if it is just for iTunes only, then I would understand. Just saying that it "breaks records" is a bit misleading, because there have been album sales that have done much better than this, in less time.

Don't get me wrong; the marketing on this was ingenious; but my concern was what was said about the sales.

BL.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I will never understand pop music's popularity.

Did you know that "pop" is short for popular music? You just said, "I'll never understand [popular] music's popularity."

That's all there is too it. Pop music is what's popular. That's it. It changes with what's popular.

_______

Question: what artist/band held the record before this?

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I can't wait for the CD to come out! :D

Same here. I bought the iTunes version of "We Can't Stop" by Miley Cyrus so I could explore it in a non-radio environment. Once I decided that I really liked the song I bought the CD from Amazon.

Not only do I have a durable hard copy the difference between CD "We Can't Stop" and iTunes "We Can't Stop" is dramatic. Had it been released at HDTracks I would have gotten it there and skipped the CD.

iTunes is a great place to buy previews but that is about it if you appreciate high-quality sound reproduction.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah. I'm sure everyone has at least $2999 lying around to buy this thing.

I bet Beyoncé could buy 4417 New Mac Pros now ;)

----------

Did you know that "pop" is short for popular music? You just said, "I'll never understand [popular] music's popularity."

I'm sure he's wondering why this type of music happens to be popular, not why the genre is called what it is.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Meh, she should have just sold what was left of her soul to Samsung and been done with it, like her husband did. :)

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
828,773 people don't care

Most people just don't know any better. A lot of young people have never even heard any music with better quality than mp3/iTunes, except perhaps on movie soundtracks, and most listen with sub-standard speakers/headphones, with heavy emphasis on bass frequencies. If people heard the difference, they might well start to care.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Only Apple can sell this many albums in just a few days. Just incredible. I had to order a copy to support the ecosystem and a strong artist who is an Apple advocate.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Only Apple can sell this many albums in just a few days. Just incredible. I had to order a copy to support the ecosystem and a strong artist who is an Apple advocate.

Again, more has been done in faster time, without Apple, or anything in the digital world.

BL.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
Not a fan of "virtually the same quality" are you?

So I would be correct in thinking that you don't own a TV and never watch videos on your computer? Because, after all, there has yet to be a consumer format that displays all the detail of the original film, so I guess it's just movie theaters or nothing for you, yeah?

Nice line in snark you have there.

Straw man aside, the bottom line is that music from the ITMS isn't even as good a quality that as that found on audio CDs. That technology is decades old.

We've gone backwards in audio quality while the quality of video (VHS to DVD to BRD and now 4k) has come on in leaps and bounds in the same timeframe.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Same here. I bought the iTunes version of "We Can't Stop" by Miley Cyrus so I could explore it in a non-radio environment. Once I decided that I really liked the song I bought the CD from Amazon.

Not only do I have a durable hard copy the difference between CD "We Can't Stop" and iTunes "We Can't Stop" is dramatic. Had it been released at HDTracks I would have gotten it there and skipped the CD.

iTunes is a great place to buy previews but that is about it if you appreciate high-quality sound reproduction.

Sounds like you waste alot of money.

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I'll say the same thing to you that is said to many an android fanboi. Must really squeeze your nuts that they get so many sales

------

Doesn't bother me at all, it does make me worry about humanity in general though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.