Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Always bought my Apple products in white, when possible
iPod Nano 1st gen: white
iPhone 3G S: white
iPhone 4: white
iPhone 5: white
iPhone 5S: white

Guess what? They all look amazing. No matter the color.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I have the space gray and I think it's the perfect contrast to the black. It looks very classy to me too. I like white from afar but I don't think I could deal with it as my daily phone color.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You can tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S based on visuals if they are next to each other?
Yeah, iPhone 5 has the square logo in a concave home button. The iPhone 5s home button is flat (for Touch ID), recessed, and there is no marking (presumably the paint would hinder the scanning function). The difference between the two home buttons is so pronounced that one should be able to figure them apart blindfolded.

The differences are even more pronounced if you flip the handsets over. The colors of the aluminum back panel are distinctly different (5s space grey is really light), and the iPhone 5s has the dual LED camera flash.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Got my first white iDevice (my silver 5S) after owning many black ones. I was one of those pretty die hard "I will only get black device" -kind of person, but I realized it doesn't really matter much. And, the white looks pretty marvelous in the sun light.

Tbh, didn't really like how the home button reflected light on the black 5S.
iphone_5s_gray_slab_front_hero.jpg

The black still is really nice though. But, I'm not really "regretting" my white 5S.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I had a black iPhone 4, white 4s, and now a black 5s. My friend got the silver 5s and I was turned off from it because the silver looks like it came out of one of those metal markers - looks cheap. It was between the black and gold for me but I went with the black because I like how the screen tone is almost as dark as the frame around it, so it's completely dark when turned off.

I would've liked for slate to be an option (as a lot of my past posts are complaints about the lack of slate), but the "space grey" grew on my quickly.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Got my first white iDevice (my silver 5S) after owning many black ones. I was one of those pretty die hard "I will only get black device" -kind of person, but I realized it doesn't really matter much. And, the white looks pretty marvelous in the sun light.

Tbh, didn't really like how the home button reflected light on the black 5S.
iphone_5s_gray_slab_front_hero.jpg

The black still is really nice though. But, I'm not really "regretting" my white 5S.

I'm with you. Had black iPhones previously, but last night picked up the 5s and decided to go with the white (silver). Love it so far, definitely a nice change from the black 5 and I must say that iOS 7 looks better on a white device. My fiancee and I just picked up a white iPad air and she loves it, we both do. She's decided her next iPhone (likely the 6) will be white.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Yeah, iPhone 5 has the square logo in a concave home button. The iPhone 5s home button is flat (for Touch ID), recessed, and there is no marking (presumably the paint would hinder the scanning function). The difference between the two home buttons is so pronounced that one should be able to figure them apart blindfolded.

The differences are even more pronounced if you flip the handsets over. The colors of the aluminum back panel are distinctly different (5s space grey is really light), and the iPhone 5s has the dual LED camera flash.

Ok thanks, I didn't saw those differences. Now I see it when I have an iPhone 5 beside my iPhone 5S (i got one a couple of days ago).

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I bought the 5s color that was available at launch. I buy my phones to use and not to marvel at the color. Whatever the color the phone works the same way.

Right... doesn't matter what color car you get or color clothes you wear because it all serves the same purpose doesn't it?

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I love the slate grey color or whatever Apple calls it. My only problem is how they didn't make the metal around the home button match like the silver and gold version.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Will never buy another non-black iPhone ever again. Sure, when you first get a white/gold iPhone it has that gloss and floss factor. But it doesn't have the timeless motive of a black iPhone.

Word to the wise, only buy black iPhones.
Actually I think the Space Grey is boring. Beautiful but boring.
I switched from black to white since iPhone 4S and I'm very happy with my new silver iPhone 5S after being happy with my white iPhone 5.

For the first year, I also bought a white iPad Air after a black iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 4.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
No imagination.

Blame it on some medical condition and insist Apple exchange it for you.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Will never buy another non-black iPhone ever again. Sure, when you first get a white/gold iPhone it has that gloss and floss factor. But it doesn't have the timeless motive of a black iPhone.

Word to the wise, only buy black iPhones.

iPhones don't have motives, timeless or otherwise. Not even animals do. Only people, capable of rational thought and moral decisions, have motives.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I am always bothered with obtrusive white bezels.

With one of my new phone purchases, I tried to put a black device into a white case and I found it to be a very nice balance.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
My first iphone was the black slate 5 and I loved it but the black one shows dust on it like nobody's business. I still ended up getting a space grey 5s but there is nothing wrong with the silver version. I sometimes wonder if I should've gotten the silver one but I loves the space grey one.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I usually always go white, but the Black Slate iPhone 5 drew me in. It was beautiful. Space Grey was a an ugly downgrade for the 5S so I went with the Gold this time around.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
seeing how White is the traditional apple color, i prefer it over all else.

granted i only got a space grey iphone cuz it was the only one available on launch day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.