Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Im gonna preface this buy saying it is my, and only my opinion - gold is the best looking iPhone.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The only thing that bugs me about a white front is that when your iPhone is off you get a gaping black abyss that stands in contrast wight he rest of the design. One the black phone you just a smooth plate of glass.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i originally wanted a 32gb gold and ended up getting a 16gb silver, that was all they had in stock at the time.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Personally, silver/white is my favorite. I had black VZW 4, which I got at launch (Feb 2011) and it was the only color (white was still a few months out). I wasn't bad, but I always liked the white one. The white 4/4S just looks so timeless and sleek.

The silver 5/5S looks good, IMO. Depending on what colors the 6 comes in, I'll have a tuff time deciding between white and gold. I'll probably go gold though.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I've never noticed the color of an iDevice or my car beyond the time of purchase. Guess that's just me.. It's just out of my peripheral vision.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Will never buy another non-black iPhone ever again. Sure, when you first get a white/gold iPhone it has that gloss and floss factor. But it doesn't have the timeless motive of a black iPhone.

Word to the wise, only buy black iPhones.

I agree the black is better an looks pretty sleek, though this time i went with a blue 5c because it looked pretty BOSS

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Will never buy another non-black iPhone ever again. Sure, when you first get a white/gold iPhone it has that gloss and floss factor. But it doesn't have the timeless motive of a black iPhone.

Agree, got a white iPhone 5 never again, gave it too my wife got a black, now my son has it i have a space grey 5S. His mate just got a white 5S though but he would only have black.

In our house the men have black and the girls white :)

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Black iPhone looks like an Android phone. The Gold iPhone is unique. And i can't really tell the difference between a Black iPhone 5 and a Black iPhone 5S. That was also an other reason to go Gold.

Android phones don't have any particular look since they come in such a wide variety of shapes and sizes. If there's any overriding look it's just that they tend to be bigger than iPhones. Gold is not unique to the iPhone either. I believe Samsung makes one too. I'd have to say it's size that identifies the iPhone rather than anything else.

karladdr

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Space gray iPhone is boring; gold one is just tacky, silver one on the other hand is a work of art, the phone is absolutely beautiful, it also doesn't show dust and scratches as much as the black one; I've had my silver 5s for 2 months now and couldn't be happier; before I owned a black 4 so I got bored of it

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Next one will be black to match my nMP

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Next one will be black to match my nMP

My silver iPhone 5s matches my silver iPad Air ... Same cover color and same wallpaper

apple_ipad_mini_smart_case_blue.jpg

iPhone-5-5S-Apple-Leather-Case-Blue-06112013-1.jpg

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I prefer slate... space gray is cool, but nothing can beat the look of slate iphone 5... this generation I chose silver because space gray was dull to me...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The front is white, and the ring around the TouchID (and the bezel) is silver ... So yes it does matter

It doesn't matter to me. My iphone case is black, my ipad case is navy blue. I could give hoot about whether they match...I get these cases for the protection as I've already replaced an ipad due to collision with concrete.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It doesn't matter to me. My iphone case is black, my ipad case is navy blue. I could give hoot about whether they match...I get these cases for the protection as I've already replaced an ipad due to collision with concrete.

Ok it does matter for me. I use my cases for protection (I'd like to have my iDevices "naked"), but I like them to be nice and match together ...
So what's your point ?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This is such an intelligent forum :)

(just kidding)

And I keep on posting in this thread.

I'll be back.....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Glad that you like your black iphone, OP. But what works for you doesn't mean that everyone else should choose what you did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.