Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Stretch a phone an inch lengthwise to add a row of icons, is not what I would consider a new design. When your phone looks identical to the previous 2 generations you aren't stretching the limits of creativity or design.

the phone wasn't just stretched. it had an "all-new" metallic body, dumping the previous design's glass back. the phone was made taller, sure, but it was also made thinner and lighter. i mean, an all new accord might not look too drastically different from the previous accord, but it doesn't mean it wasn't all new.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I saw the leaked image of the LG G3, and I'm picking that to be smartphone of the year since the G2 was very close beating the HTC One last year. Either G3 or Note 4.

The more I see supposed leaked photos of the iPhone 6, the less and less I get excited about it. Why bother? Same restrictive OS just on a bigger screen. The switch iOS7 to iOS8 wouldn't be so drastic in experience.

Asus Zenfone 5 and the Lenovo Golden Warrior S8 make perfect bargain phones. I'm happy to see these Asian manufacturers target the mass consumers who don't want to be base their next purchase from a carrier upgrade. I want less control from carriers. I think smartphones have saturated enough that the next thing to do is drop prices on all of them. Under $200 with decent enough specs. The Zenfone 5 will retail for $150 with an Intel dual core chip similarly found from the Lenovo K900 last year. The K900 still goes for $500 off-contract. And its benchmark scores were comparable to HTC One (M7) and Samsung Galaxy S4 from last year. Those phones go for $350-$400 second hand.

A $150 for a new smartphone is a bargain that makes Nexus 5 and Moto G look overpriced now. By the end of the year, expect it to drop and drop. Getting a $50-$100 smartphone from a respectable brand with a 720p screen should be common within a few years. The Nokia Lumia 520/521 for $50 on sale was just a start. Tech will get better and better and cheaper and cheaper.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
the phone wasn't just stretched. it had an "all-new" metallic body, dumping the previous design's glass back. the phone was made taller, sure, but it was also made thinner and lighter. i mean, an all new accord might not look too drastically different from the previous accord, but it doesn't mean it wasn't all new.

Makes you wonder why there are so many posts out there of iPhone owners always trying to customize their 'new' phone to distinguish it from the previous version. ;) Just saying; all the iPhones look very, very similar, especially after the iPhone 4.

Attachments

• iPhones.jpg
    iPhones.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 93

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I wouldn't say I'm specifically excited about any single phone. But am very keen to see the following:

1) I'd like to see Motorola expand to a 3 device lineup: a budget phone (follow up to moto G), a mid to upper mid range phone (follow up to moto X), and a new premium phone with camera & battery performance on par with GS5/G2/M8.

2) Very interested in what pans out with Windows Phones from manufacturers other than Nokia.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Which phone are you most excited for in 2014

Being a Note 3 owner I am of course very curious about the 'Note 4'.

I also think it will be interesting to see what HTC can drum up during the second half of the year. Even though I have primarily been a Samsung user (and a very satisfied one) the last couple of years I would prefer if the Android market had at least 2 manufacturers of a certain size instead of 1 huge and several small ones.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Note 4 and iPhone 6 for sure! Have an iPhone 5 and a Note 3 to play around with now.. wish I could have both in one device, honestly. :(

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OnePlus One

Just been blown away with the specs and price point of $349 for a 64 GB. About 1.5 years ago, a Nexus 4 (16 GB) cost that much and that already was a bargain by that point! A Nexus 5 (32 GB) cost $50 more and with a slightly older SoC.

First smartphone announcement that has got me really excited since the HTC One last year in February. Best smartphone nobody has ever heard of. And best bargain for top specs.

Thinking of getting it in wood because that's what I got when I first read of the price and specs. Moto E and Asus Zenfone 5 are also on my watchlist. I feel no remorse never getting a Nexus 4, Nexus 5 or Moto G. Those are great phones in their own right. But the OnePlus One, Moto E, and Asus Zenfone 5 truly define the word bargain much better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm happy with my Lumia Icon but I am excited to see the Note 4 and the iPhone 6.

So far I'm happy with the windows platform, but being on VZW's edge program, I have an opportunity to "upgrade" if a sexier phone comes down the pike :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm happy with my Lumia Icon but I am excited to see the Note 4 and the iPhone 6.

So far I'm happy with the windows platform, but being on VZW's edge program, I have an opportunity to "upgrade" if a sexier phone comes down the pike :D

Same .... This is the first year in a couple that I'm genuinely excited to see what Apple do with the iPhone 6 ... Likewise the Note 3 was one of samsungs best handsets to date, and so the Note 4 has a lot to live up to, and it will be interesting to see if it indeed does so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.