Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A rare shot from my home state of California. It’s a bit ironic that most of my portfolio features locations outside the United States, but I do occasionally get out to do some shooting in the US too. This is Middle McCloud Falls in Shasta County, CA, just after the year’s heaviest rainstorm thus far, a much needed deluge that swelled the rivers and made the waterfalls in the area really show their stuff. The spray blasting downstream was soaking me and my lens, so it was quite a chore to dry the lens enough between exposures to get a mostly clean shot. I was able to get just enough frames to put this together.

Click for larger:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Photo of the Day: April 2014

A rare shot from my home state of California. It’s a bit ironic that most of my portfolio features locations outside the United States, but I do occasionally get out to do some shooting in the US too. This is Middle McCloud Falls in Shasta County, CA, just after the year’s heaviest rainstorm thus far, a much needed deluge that swelled the rivers and made the waterfalls in the area really show their stuff. The spray blasting downstream was soaking me and my lens, so it was quite a chore to dry the lens enough between exposures to get a mostly clean shot. I was able to get just enough frames to put this together.

Click for larger:

[url=http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/RainDance.jpg]Image[/URL]

Beautiful as ever.

Today's is this character I spotted yesterday.

13994838812_4563ba1310_b.jpg

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

Absolutely beautiful Phrasikleia. Love the sunlight on the falls.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Did you know 80% of the worlds Bluebells are found in the UK? Sadly I was still a week too early for a wide shot, so here is another macro.
20140418-_DSC1697 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

I don't know if it's too far for you, but there's a beautiful bluebell wood at Coton Manor in Northamptonshire. There's a garden and the wood. It's privately owned so there's a fee to enter, but I don't remember it was particularly expensive. No tripods and the bluebells are out now.

This is one from last time I went:

bluebells_zps79947781.jpg

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA

Hm. Hope you don't mind a teeny bit of critique. Not my favorite shot of yours (and most of yours are fantastic). Something about the lighting is not doing Flo's skin any favors there, on the left-hand side.

Click for larger:

Love this, as always. Plus, since I'm on a mission to expand my landscape photography in CA and the SouthWest (Europe's not currently in the budget), I'm making note of anything worth shooting that's within driving distance. This is a new location to me. Noted and mapped. I'll be trying to incorporate this on my next road trip (current road trip launches next week to the Grand Canyon and Sedona).
Are these waterfalls reasonably accessible? Or is this a hard hike kinda thing?

Great sky, but the land needs a bit of brightening up and possibly taken from a more elevated position. It looks a bit of familiar place, is it the Clent Hills?

Anyway - a bit of spring on this rainy day…….

Blakesley Hall by Scphoto_uk, on Flickr

Love the colors on this one.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Click for larger:

Beautiful as ever!

----------

Simply wow.

[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/14024959363_45894ace14_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Hummingbird (1175) by MCH-1138, on Flickr

D7000 • Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 @ 135mm • 1/250 @ f/8 • 2 Speedlights

Nice to see one of these guys sitting still for a moment. The focus on this is great.

----------

Great sky, but the land needs a bit of brightening up and possibly taken from a more elevated position. It looks a bit of familiar place, is it the Clent Hills?

Anyway - a bit of spring on this rainy day…….

Blakesley Hall by Scphoto_uk, on Flickr

Spot on! It's about 10 minutes from here, and my closest beauty spot. Looks like you had more sun than I did today.

----------

I don't know if it's too far for you, but there's a beautiful bluebell wood at Coton Manor in Northamptonshire. There's a garden and the wood. It's privately owned so there's a fee to enter, but I don't remember it was particularly expensive. No tripods and the bluebells are out now.

This is one from last time I went:

Very nice. It's a little far but probably doable. The weather is supposed to be very wet this weekend though. I don't think I've ever come across a no tripod though!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Love this, as always. Plus, since I'm on a mission to expand my landscape photography in CA and the SouthWest (Europe's not currently in the budget), I'm making note of anything worth shooting that's within driving distance. This is a new location to me. Noted and mapped. I'll be trying to incorporate this on my next road trip (current road trip launches next week to the Grand Canyon and Sedona).
Are these waterfalls reasonably accessible? Or is this a hard hike kinda thing?

Thanks, Puckman. The waterfalls I visited are all very accessible. The one I posted here (Middle McCloud) can be reached in about 10 minutes from the parking lot by hiking down a very nicely graded trail. Or you can just shoot it right from the lookout at the top. If you do head that way, be sure to check out Burney Falls as well. It's very impressive. I tried to shoot it that same morning, but I was right in the blast zone of its furious spray and couldn't get a clean shot; it was just too swollen with water when I was there. If you get there during a more normal level of flow, it should be a lot easier.

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
Thanks, Puckman. The waterfalls I visited are all very accessible. The one I posted here (Middle McCloud) can be reached in about 10 minutes from the parking lot by hiking down a very nicely graded trail. Or you can just shoot it right from the lookout at the top. If you do head that way, be sure to check out Burney Falls as well. It's very impressive. I tried to shoot it that same morning, but I was right in the blast zone of its furious spray and couldn't get a clean shot; it was just too swollen with water when I was there. If you get there during a more normal level of flow, it should be a lot easier.

Excellent. Noted and mapped :)
Hopefully I make it out in that direction one of these days.
Wish I had more "photography time" in my life.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hm. Hope you don't mind a teeny bit of critique. Not my favorite shot of yours (and most of yours are fantastic). Something about the lighting is not doing Flo's skin any favors there, on the left-hand side.

No worries, I love feedback whenever I can get it. Not making excuses but I have three cameras and shoot with all three in different ways. With my Hasselblad I aim for polished posed shots, 'hyper-realistic' if you will in the sense that I try to make the best out of the situation.

With this camera (mju II), I use it as more documentary style camera. The negs are small so I don't aim to get crystal clear and beautiful pictures but instead remember moments that have occurred. In this case this was the morning after a night out in Bristol sleeping in a dank, cold and mould ridden room. In that sense, to me it shouldn't be flattering which would fit in more with the mood and scenario that the picture was taken. I realise without any context it might just seem like a 'bad' photo. But I suppose that is the benefit of taking photos only as a hobby that I can capture the moments that matter to me and not really worry. Of course I do try to take the best photos that I can as I'm sure everyone does.

My final camera is my digital that I haven't really used for candid shots recently. Over the summer I aim to use it more and I will have to see if I aim for candid or more posed shots! Who knows!

Busy man, Time Square

New_York_2014_-8556-L.jpg

Great shot. A real nice atmosphere to it and great that you took the gamble with a bit of motion blur!

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
No worries, I love feedback whenever I can get it. Not making excuses but I have three cameras and shoot with all three in different ways. With my Hasselblad I aim for polished posed shots, 'hyper-realistic' if you will in the sense that I try to make the best out of the situation.

With this camera (mju II), I use it as more documentary style camera. The negs are small so I don't aim to get crystal clear and beautiful pictures but instead remember moments that have occurred. In this case this was the morning after a night out in Bristol sleeping in a dank, cold and mould ridden room. In that sense, to me it shouldn't be flattering which would fit in more with the mood and scenario that the picture was taken. I realise without any context it might just seem like a 'bad' photo. But I suppose that is the benefit of taking photos only as a hobby that I can capture the moments that matter to me and not really worry. Of course I do try to take the best photos that I can as I'm sure everyone does.

My final camera is my digital that I haven't really used for candid shots recently. Over the summer I aim to use it more and I will have to see if I aim for candid or more posed shots! Who knows!

Great shot. A real nice atmosphere to it and great that you took the gamble with a bit of motion blur!

Context helps clarify the situation.
Mind you, I never said it was a "bad" photo. It's not. I like the lighting and the pose and the general feel of it. It shows a slightly gritty style.
My only comment was that it wasn't very flattering to the subject (skin complexion in particular). If that was the intent, or an acceptable byproduct of the mood you were going for, then by all means :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Context helps clarify the situation.
Mind you, I never said it was a "bad" photo. It's not. I like the lighting and the pose and the general feel of it. It shows a slightly gritty style.
My only comment was that it wasn't very flattering to the subject (skin complexion in particular). If that was the intent, or an acceptable byproduct of the mood you were going for, then by all means :)

Not trying to cover myself but I've never been into retouching or anything like that.

If the person looks like that then why change it. Lighting is going to flatter everyone in different ways. I actually quite like the gritty side to this shot and hopefully will have a chance to take more 'real' photos in the future!

Thanks again for the comments.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Four Minutes To Four

One of the churches in Whitstable this afternoon ...

Cheers :)

Hugh

Attachments

• Four Minutes To Four.JPG
    Four Minutes To Four.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 152
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.