Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
A feast for the eyes: so many colours, shapes and textures...

I know Haworth... and the shop. Next time, pop inside and sweet-talk the proprietor. Say you want to photograph the shop front, and could you move the tables and chairs for two minutes... then put them back. Then photograph the proprietor in the shop doorway, and offer to email a couple of pix.

bluebells1_zpsb1fd86ad.jpg

Thanks, Doylem, for the kind words. Coming from you that means a lot. And I echo the praise for this picture. It indeed looks like a work of art. Beautiful.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
California
I finally caught this fellow this morning after trying unsuccessfully for several days. He is rather skittish and doesn't hang out for long at the feeder. If he keeps returning, I'd like to tinker with the lighting to try and bring out the iridescence on his throat.

Hummingbird (1136) by MCH-1138, on Flickr

D7000 • Nikon 85mm f/1.8G • 1/250 @ f/8 • 2 Speedlights

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
greetings from Istanbul :)

[URL=" https://flic.kr/p/nj5Pmp

Yay, you got there!! :) That's a lovely picture. I like how your picture of the city becomes a picture of the bird with the city setting the scene. Somehow it's much better than just a crisp shot of the city itself.

I wonder what sort of bird that is. It looks a bit like a seal pup with wings!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Yay, you got there!! :) That's a lovely picture. I like how your picture of the city becomes a picture of the bird with the city setting the scene. Somehow it's much better than just a crisp shot of the city itself.

Indeed a great photo. I had to scroll back to find the seal pup. But you're right. Guess it's a big fat seagul. They probably get fat from stealing food and fish from the fishermen on the Galata bridge.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
California

I agree -- the city makes a fantastic setting. When I first looked, I thought the bird looked a bit like one of Cheese&Apple's snowy owls!

For today...

Hummingbird (9030) by MCH-1138, on Flickr

D7000 • Nikon 85mm f/1.8G • 1/250 @ f/5.6 • 2 Speedlights

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Get better lighting and an interesting landscape.

The lighting in the distance seemed interesting to me (the yellow fields), but the foreground is just a bit dull. I agree it's not the most interesting location in the world, but it's close to where I live and I don't believe the midlands is blessed with pretty landscapes (when you just have an hour or two to shoot).

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
The lighting in the distance seemed interesting to me (the yellow fields), but the foreground is just a bit dull. I agree it's not the most interesting location in the world, but it's close to where I live and I don't believe the midlands is blessed with pretty landscapes (when you just have an hour or two to shoot).

Hmmm, the birds aren't exotic enough. The landscape isn't "pretty" enough. C'mon, fanboy, open your eyes and look a bit harder... :)

In the woods today...

wetland_zpsf7f6bc40.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hmmm, the birds aren't exotic enough. The landscape isn't "pretty" enough. C'mon, fanboy, open your eyes and look a bit harder... :)

In the woods today...

I think you could photograph dustbins and they would look good.
I'll be off to the woods again Saturday. Hopefully the lighting will be just like this one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.