Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
This build still does not boot up in parallels desktop. But it does in vmware fusion.

We had a similar problem in builds 13D38, 13D43 and 13D45a.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012

Works for developers with their version of the seed configuration utility.

But it won't work for the public beta testers version - because apple still haven't uploaded a public seed version of this build to the swscan.apple.com server.

Funny thing is that public seed testers still have access to build 13D45a, but developers don't anymore.

There are still files called

OSXUpd10.9.3PublicSeedPatch.pkg
OSXUpd10.9.3PublicSeed.pkg
OSXUpdCombo10.9.3PublicSeed.pkg

on the server for build 13D45a for public seed testers, but for developers the files are called

OSXUpd10.9.3Patch.pkg
OSXUpd10.9.3.pkg
OSXUpdCombo10.9.3.pkg

and these are build 13D55.

The mac app store will determine which of these to download depending on the os x version you currently have installed and which seed configuration utility you have installed.

Different versions of the utility will give access to different files on the server. For example, a while ago build 13D19 was released only to apple staff. Developers never got this build.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple has often had a gap between releases for developers and Appleseed (sometimes releasing it to Appleseed first). It wouldn't be surprising if the same happens with the public release. It may just take time to get it out to the other groups, or they may do it on purpose to stagger the downloads a bit. I would expect if they don't do a simultaneous release to all three that the public beta would probably get it last.

And Apple did also say that the public beta might not get all builds. I don't see why they wouldn't get this one but there may be some for various reasons.

So "not here yet!" isn't really news to anyone, if MR reports a new beta and you don't see it, just check back for it later.

mceolsen

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Works for developers with their version of the seed configuration utility.

But it won't work for the public beta testers version - because apple still haven't uploaded a public seed version of this build to the swscan.apple.com server.

Funny thing is that public seed testers still have access to build 13D45a, but developers don't anymore.

There are still files called

OSXUpd10.9.3PublicSeedPatch.pkg
OSXUpd10.9.3PublicSeed.pkg
OSXUpdCombo10.9.3PublicSeed.pkg

on the server for build 13D45a for public seed testers, but for developers the files are called

OSXUpd10.9.3Patch.pkg
OSXUpd10.9.3.pkg
OSXUpdCombo10.9.3.pkg

and these are build 13D55.

The mac app store will determine which of these to download depending on the os x version you currently have installed and which seed configuration utility you have installed.

Different versions of the utility will give access to different files on the server. For example, a while ago build 13D19 was released only to apple staff. Developers never got this build.

Ahh - so when I downloaded that utility again - someone must have posted a dev account one!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Does anyone know what the seed configuration utility actually does?
Just wondering if it simply updates a plist file or is more comprehensive.

If updating the seed util works to get the update working/showing. would there be a simple plist (or similar) to edit instead?

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I wonder how many of you have been beta-testing OS X pre-release versions for a long time as developers (or folks who founds a way around that old requirement), and how many of you just started taking advantage of the fact that the OS X Beta Program is not available for everyone.

I would love to run beta programs just to get a peek and what new features are on the horizon; in fact, I have the regular Chrome and the Canary chrome installed, but I doubt I want to Beta-Test the very thing that makes my iMac tick. I have a MacBook Air which I use only sparingly, but even that one doesn't deserve to be running buggy software.

Apple has way too many $billions in their pocket to being crowd-sourcing (and without any sort of monetary reward, to boot) beta-testing of an operating system. Hire more people, Apple. Apple could literally afford to have two thousand guys in a huge auditorium doing nothing but beta-testing OS X all day. They wouldn't reguire a huge salary, either. I'm sure a number of computer geeks out there would be willing to do that for $10/hour. It would come with the prestige of being an Apple employee ;)

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Interesting. I wonder if the delay means 13D55 is the GM.

----------

Apple has way too many $billions in their pocket to being crowd-sourcing (and without any sort of monetary reward, to boot) beta-testing of an operating system. Hire more people, Apple. Apple could literally afford to have two thousand guys in a huge auditorium doing nothing but beta-testing OS X all day. They wouldn't reguire a huge salary, either. I'm sure a number of computer geeks out there would be willing to do that for $10/hour. It would come with the prestige of being an Apple employee ;)

There are myriad reasons for Apple to do public betas none of which is "cutting costs". I need to test compatibility and bug fix status for multiple clients without having to be a developer. More tech companies should offer public betas.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
There is a good reason for the delay in releasing it to public beta testers (or for that matter not releasing it at all to them).

Lets say the build is a disaster and ruins your mac. Developers are probably better at fixing it than the general public. So it makes sense to give it to them first - just in case it is a disaster.

I was always told during my beginning days of Sys Admin to wait 7 days before downloading an update. Then install on a small group of power users (Pilot) and wait 5 days. If no issues arise, release to public (workplace).

I follow the same guide at home. Not worth ruining a system, even if its a dev system when someone else is more than willing to try and test.

----------

why hasn't apple updated Samba to v3 or v4 yet?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013

Companies don't (or at least shouldn't) do public betas to cut costs, they do them to improve the quality of their software. Public betas might not even be cheaper than hiring people directly to do the testing: the company has to go through more support requests, more bug reports, more bandwidth used to distribute the betas, etc.

What makes public betas so useful, is that it brings more environments, users, use cases, and combinations of hardware and software to the testing, than you could ever arrange in a controlled testing environment. For example, the with more beta testers the issues with WD SmartWare might have been spotted well before Mavericks was released. It's much easier to recognize patterns, if you have more bug reports to work with.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Second time in a row this beta install stalled at 4 minutes, it did nothing at all, restarted and used the downloaded .pkg inside the /Library/Update folder.
This again didn't install right as the last beta(13D45a).
Strange, I never had this before.

Remotewroks

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I wonder how many of you have been beta-testing OS X pre-release versions for a long time as developers (or folks who founds a way around that old requirement), and how many of you just started taking advantage of the fact that the OS X Beta Program is not available for everyone.

I would love to run beta programs just to get a peek and what new features are on the horizon; in fact, I have the regular Chrome and the Canary chrome installed, but I doubt I want to Beta-Test the very thing that makes my iMac tick. I have a MacBook Air which I use only sparingly, but even that one doesn't deserve to be running buggy software.

Have you seen this?
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/os-x-beta-seed-program/

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I had the Utility from the original 10.8 beta it came with...made the mistake of joining the public seed...I found that redownloading the Utility (mavericks compatible) re-enanabled the Dev Seeds 13D55 appeared~

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Just replaced my public seed utility with the developer one and now the beta is showing.

Rafbys

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
I know of this hack and it doesn't solve my blurry fonts. I still think Apple should fix this issue, because everything runs smooth on the same rmbp late 13 under windows.

Make sure you're using the universal patch. If not I hope apple does fix the issue.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
still no sign of the update showing for me (public beta) :confused:

The answer is in these two post below you, I reapplied the Mavericks seed utility and it worked again.

I had the Utility from the original 10.8 beta it came with...made the mistake of joining the public seed...I found that redownloading the Utility (mavericks compatible) re-enanabled the Dev Seeds 13D55 appeared~

Just replaced my public seed utility with the developer one and now the beta is showing.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know what the seed configuration utility actually does?
Just wondering if it simply updates a plist file or is more comprehensive.

If updating the seed util works to get the update working/showing. would there be a simple plist (or similar) to edit instead?

*snip*

Disclaimer: I am not a Mac dev, and I do not necessarily recommend this to anyone. It could be buggy, or Apple could release the Kraken on people for getting seeds meant only for developers.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah. That's very clever.

But now you are getting the developer seeds without having to sign up as a developer. As is quite evident in this thread by now, clearly they are not necessarily the same as the public beta seeds.

Do the macrumors moderators have a problem with this being put on here?

I saw somewhere that there is some macrumors rule about not doing this on here.

I think it was this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594308/

Last edited:

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yeah. That's very clever.

But now you are getting the developer seeds without having to sign up as a developer. As is quite evident in this thread by now, clearly they are not necessarily the same as the public beta seeds.

Do the macrumors moderators have a problem with this being put on here?

I saw somewhere that there is some macrumors rule about not doing this on here.

I think it was this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594308/

If that's the case I will happily remove it.

Rukuru

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
I have been asking around if it is possible to use the HDMI port in a rMBPro for resolutions better than 1080p, I know with boot camp and windows 8 you can use that port to 2560x1440. I would appreciated an answer for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.