Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I like beats audio and have a few pair of headphones like the Pros. But other than music streaming what does this mean for apple? beats logo on iPhones? How about the common white headphones but with red beats EarPods coming with iPhones now, MacBooks with built in Beats Speakers? could any of this be possible with the acquisition? IPhone 6S maybe?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I like beats audio and have a few pair of headphones like the Pros. But other than music streaming what does this mean for apple? beats logo on iPhones? How about the common white headphones but with red beats EarPods coming with iPhones now, MacBooks with built in Beats Speakers? could any of this be possible with the acquisition? IPhone 6S maybe?

apple owns beats now. beats is no longer a company. apple and beats are one if you get what I'm saying. and apple is one to not put crappy looking carrier logos on phones, why would they put a beats logo?

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Apple never put "Intel inside" stickers on their computers. While they now own Beats, I'll bet you'll never see anything but the Apple logo on iPhones.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

It's far too early to even speculate on these, but I would have to assume Apple would abhor Beats logos on their products, regardless of their prestige.
From the front page article (and other sources), it seems like Cook is particularly interested in their music service:

Cook said that "of course" Apple could have built a subscription music service rather than buying one, just like the company could have built all the technologies that it has acquired over the years. "You don’t build everything yourself. It’s not one thing that excites us here. It's the people. It’s the service."

In the Times, Cook promised new features for Beats that will "blow your mind" as well as "products you haven't thought of yet". He promised the team would "take music to an even higher level than it is now."

In an interview with Re/code, Cook said that Apple felt Beats was the first subscription music service to "get it right":
"We get a subscription music service that we believe is the first subscription service that really got it right. They had the insight early on to know how important human curation is. That technology by itself wasn’t enough — that it was the marriage of the two that would really be great, and produce a feeling in people that we want to produce."

edit: I don't think abhor means what I think it means...

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I rather like the Beats logo, but it's not going to appear on any Apple product that contains a processor.

Beats will presumably be in a position to have exactly colour-matched earphones/headphones on the shelves the moment that any new iPhone or iPod is released, but I'd be surprised to see those bearing the Apple logo in place of, or in addition to, the Beats logo.

I think that the Beats physical product line will simply continue on its own sweet, profitable way.

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
edit: I don't think abhor means what I think it means...

ab·hor
abˈhôr/
verbformal
regard with disgust and hatred.

"professional tax preparers abhor a flat tax because it would dry up their business"
synonyms: detest, hate, loathe, despise, execrate, regard with disgust, shrink from, recoil from, shudder at; More
antonyms: love, admire

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Apple never put "Intel inside" stickers on their computers. While they now own Beats, I'll bet you'll never see anything but the Apple logo on iPhones.

I was about to quote this. Apple never put Intel Inside stickers and for that matter they also never put the official HDMI logo on their computers with HDMI ports, its labeled HDMI but doesn't have the proper font. In both cases this actually cuts down on the royalties Apple has to pay to each company, not that Apple needs to worry about this since the volume of devices they make more than makes up for it but its worth noting. I believe USB 3.0 also prefers the inside port connector to be blue as well and Apple didn't follow that mantra either.

Anyways...Apple has bought out numerous company's both big and small and it, to my knowledge, has never changed their product style in the ways that some other company might do. Apple does not bend over for anyone when it comes to their design, Johnny Ives would not allow it.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I *could* see high-end iPods, with Apple earphones removed, sold with complementary Beats-branded earphones or headphones as 'gift packs'.

Did the Apple Pro Speakers have HK branding on them? Apple certainly made a song and dance about HK's involvement.

The Twentieth Anniversary Mac had prominent Bose marks on it. Can't envisage anything like that happening again.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Doubtful. The only Apple product that had an additional logo was the HP version of the iPod many years ago.

93960_1.gif

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gah, I hope not. I'm not a fan of Beats and adding it to the iPhone will definitely detract from the beautiful design.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If I remember correctly, part of the hold up for the iPhone getting Verizon was that Apple wouldn't budge on adding the VZW logo to the phone, except to have their name next to the signal strength like AT&T.

So, even though Apple now owns Beats, I wouldn't expect to see the additional logo on anything.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If Apple ever includes free beats headphones with the iPhone, then I could see them using the logo on the box--but not on the iPhone itself.

Then again, in the post-Steve Jobs era anything could change. I feel that Apple is gradually becoming more of an average tech company.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Do I see it going on the phone....absolutely not. Beats has nothing to do with the actual phone.

Do I see the logo going on the headphone/ear-buds, possibly. A slight change, such as having a red chord on the ear-buds, I think that would be most likely to happen.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Do I see it going on the phone....absolutely not. Beats has nothing to do with the actual phone.

Do I see the logo going on the headphone/ear-buds, possibly. A slight change, such as having a red chord on the ear-buds, I think that would be most likely to happen.

That would look awful. The white headphones and cord are iconic. I would settle for a small Beats logo on the buds if necessary.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Why in the world would Apple put the Beats logo on future iPhone's? It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I could, however, see them packaging Beats earbuds in with future iPhone/iPod models.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I imagine that the beats hardware line will pretty much be left alone. Maybe they'll get some special lighting dock or Bluetooth access with iDevices, or the speaker tech will be used but not labeled. Personally I think they should leave the Apple EarPods alone. Continue to give them away with iPhones and iPods and sell them separately for however much ($29?).

As for the subscription service, I could see Apple putting their own spin on it. I haven't seen it, so I can't guess what it will be. Red is already part of the music app on iDevices, so it could be something there. Or they could totally remove the Beats name and fold it into iTunes and the Music app.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I doubt Beats logo would be on a product. Product box, maybe.

I'd guess Beat Music stays as is...this gets "iTunes" on Windows and Anrdoid phones as lots of people wanted.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple will never give you a pair of beats with your phone. The thought is insane and ludicrous.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
apple owns beats now. beats is no longer a company.

Is that so? Surely Beats hasn't become Apple - they'll still (as far as we know) make Beats branded headphones. They're still a company, it's just that the company is owned by a larger company.

----------

Doubtful. The only Apple product that had an additional logo was the HP version of the iPod many years ago.

What was the HP version?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
apple owns beats now. beats is no longer a company. apple and beats are one if you get what I'm saying. and apple is one to not put crappy looking carrier logos on phones, why would they put a beats logo?

Yep.
Can't wait until all carrier logo's are eliminated...

Wouldn't it be great if Apple were to be the GSM / data provider on your iOS device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.