Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Papajuice

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Not sure if it has been noticed.

When typing a text the upper right corner has a "details" link to attach your location. Among other things

inkfid

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
I can confirm it doesn't work for me
iPhone 5S - upgrade not clean install
Haven't tried editing or loading a new contact picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 190

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Safari now supports WebGL!

Never thought this day would come. Tested it on my iPhone 5S with a couple of demos; not sure if it's supported on all devices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It feels like iOS 7 was Leopard and iOS 8 was Snow Leopard. A MAJOR engine overhaul with a few new welcome additions for the end user.

Ergo, we won't see how amazing iOS 8 really is until developers start updating their apps.

Papajuice

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
I can confirm it doesn't work for me
iPhone 5S - upgrade not clean install
Haven't tried editing or loading a new contact picture

Same for me, clean install, the only difference is the scrolling name. Only option in phone is to add pic in the favorites area.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Can they though? You make it seem like there will be a keyboard category on the App Store, but I don't think this is the case. This is just one additional keyboard they've added.

Yes, Apps can now bundle system extensions as part of their App bundle. The extensions are removed when the App is uninstalled. One of those extensions is to provide a custom keyboard.

Wether or not there's going to be a new section on the AppStore is something only Apple can say. Otherwise it'd probably just go in to "Utilities" with the rest of the stuff that doesn't fit in an existing category.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Yay -- You can now decline a calendar invite with a comment.

Sigh -- You still can't forward a calendar event.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 169

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
It feels like iOS 7 was Leopard and iOS 8 was Snow Leopard. A MAJOR engine overhaul with a few new welcome additions for the end user.

Ergo, we won't see how amazing iOS 8 really is until developers start updating their apps.

Will they update apps (developers) through the developer preview, and be pushed through the app store for ios8 users, or do they wait till the public release?

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
app. password lock

Yesterday during the keynote, on the screen during the enterprise portion, there was something written about password locking individual apps. Has anyone seen this, or figured it out yet? This would be pretty great.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Yesterday during the keynote, on the screen during the enterprise portion, there was something written about password locking individual apps. Has anyone seen this, or figured it out yet? This would be pretty great.

+1 would like to know about this.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Will they update apps (developers) through the developer preview, and be pushed through the app store for ios8 users, or do they wait till the public release?
In the past it has been hit or miss. For example, some app developers snuck iOS7 support in regular updates before iOS7 was released. Most won't blatantly do an update just to support the beta.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

From what I understand and have experienced in the past - Apps can be updated for compatibility support during the beta period - i.e. if an App like Spotify is broken, it can be updated so it works. However, anything using new APIs can't be published until release date (for example if an app wants to take advantage of extensions, they won't be allowed to release that update until the day the iOS update is made available to the public).

Unrelated:
Also, I made a topic about this, I haven't seen anyone talk about it, and the topic is being ignored, but it's a big deal: iOS 8 no longer requires a Wi-Fi connection for AirPlay

Last edited:

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA

In general, they will update their apps for compatability during the iOS 8 beta and push them through the App Store. They won't say "iOS 8 issues" in the release notes until iOS 8 actually releases. They will typically just say something generic like "bug fixes" or "stability issues".

New API support as was mentioned needs to wait for the full release.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Regarding continuity

Is possible to start a FaceTime call on your mac and then switch it over to your phone while you get a drink?

It sounds plausible within the realm of continuity, I just want to know if it's been done.

Many thanks

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
IOS 8 now has the option to include travel time in calendar appointments...

Unfortunately this is a manual time entry, not auto like google that will calculate the route to the appointment location. Options are 30min, 1 hour, etc. just to it can adjust your timed reminded to take that manually entered travel time into account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.